Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NO START - FAILED CHECKSUM?  (Read 24479 times)
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 05:30:36 PM »

Grounding the pin does in fact mean connecting it to the battery negative/ground etc. I am not sure how well getting into boot mode will work with the ECU in the car as the car is always supplying some power to the ECU.
Do you have a picture of your ECU PCB? I know with the ME7.1.1 boards I am using a jumper must be removed from the bottom of the board before boot mode can be enabled.

You can easily get into boot mode with the ECU in the car.  On my "development" ECU I made a pigtail which plugs into a short section of wire with a toggle switch that I ran behind the fuse panel.  My car has a big EFK, so I've had a few flashes puke on the side of the road.  Anyway, here is what it looks like:

I would not recommend this for daily driving... but you get the point.  As Nyet said, the ignition is what boots the ECU, so I flip the switch to close the circuit, turn the key, then turn the switch off after 3-4 seconds.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:32:24 PM by Jason » Logged
phila_dot

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 05:43:42 PM »

I have uploaded pictures below. When the key is turned I hear a few clicks. I hold it for a count of 10 or so then attempt to connect with Galletto. Everytime I get boot mode not initialized.

Pin that I grounded outlined

Big Picture

Bottom

phila_dot

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 06:01:53 PM »

Can someone describe exactly what they are using to ground the pin?

At first I was using a 22 gauge wire that I pinched between the jumper cable and negative battery terminal and held the other end of bare wire to the pin. Then I soldered a ring terminal to one end and a 1k ohm 1/4 watt resistor to the other end (still 22 gauge wire). I took the nut off the end of the battery cable and attached the ring terminal (no jumper cables this time). I then held the resistor to the pin. Same results.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »

Can someone describe exactly what they are using to ground the pin?

At first I was using a 22 gauge wire that I pinched between the jumper cable and negative battery terminal and held the other end of bare wire to the pin. Then I soldered a ring terminal to one end and a 1k ohm 1/4 watt resistor to the other end (still 22 gauge wire). I took the nut off the end of the battery cable and attached the ring terminal (no jumper cables this time). I then held the resistor to the pin. Same results.

youll want to find a more local ground

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »

As shown in the pictures that nyet and Jason posted, you can just connect the two solder pads on the ECU board. No real need to find a ground other than that.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »

Easiest way I've found without soldering anything to the board is to use a pair of curved needle point tweezers to short the two pads in my picture and nyet's picture.  Of course you'll need somebody to either do this for you, or key on your car for you.  As a precaution make sure you ground the tweezers and yourself to the car before you touch the pads.
paracaidista2.7T

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 08:18:52 AM »

I have screwed this up before when flashing over OBD. I have solved it by disconnecting the battery and touching the cables together for about 5 seconds. Then I flashed it immediately over OBD with the corrected file. This has worked for me, YMMV.
phila_dot

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 07:50:34 PM »

I never was able to establish a connection with this ECU in the car or on the bench. I'm think the ECU is toast. It has suffered quite a bit of abuse. I had it removed from the case for a long period of time and it was dropped a few times. I have replaced it and flashed the file succesfully. Thank you to everyone that replied.
cactusgreens4

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 08:48:54 PM »

Can someone please help me? I have tried to access my ecu in boot mode with both the nefmoto flashing program (numerious versions) and galletto 1260 with no luck either way. I was grounding the pin 24 as pictured in the photo posted by phila dot and have not had any luck getting the ecu into boot mode so that i could read or write to the ecu. can someone please tell me if i am doing something wrong? i bricked the ecu one time before a year ago and tried this same method and got the ecu going within a few minutes and no i am not having any luck. thanks
cactusgreens4

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »

is there any way to tell if the ecu is going into boot mode? also i am doing this with the ecu in the car...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: