Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Knock Control, Motronic 2.3  (Read 38624 times)
karel5000

« on: March 20, 2013, 01:02:49 PM »

Hello,

I would like to know, how exactly the knock control works on my Audi 200 20V.

What exactly the ECU does, if it recognises the knock event?

Does it everytime set IGA about -3 degrees and than slowly back?

And what the boost does? Is it also everytime somehow controled and reduced?

Thanx!
Karel5000
karel5000

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:39:33 AM »

Can i set the ignition angle on the knock border? Is the knock controll so intelligent, that it will keep the engine safe?
Acki

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:56:17 AM »

Piston ring land will break when you run at the knock limit.
Soft knocking the knock detection will not recognize.
karel5000

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »

Tahnx for your answer. So, to go 2 degrees back, wenn the knock control recognises nocking (shiffting the ignition angle about 3 degrees back) is a good idea...
Acki

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 04:16:50 AM »

Maybe 2° aren't enought - because knock control only detects strong knocking.
I know a lot of tuned turbo engines where the ring land is broken after 10-20k km.
From my experience with a knock box you have a "wide" range of "slight" knocking before it really knocks very loud.
I tested this with 95 Octane fuel, high CR in summer.
I will repeat it this summer with 102 Octane - I guess there is different behavior in the range of "slight" knocking.
Slight means, you can hear it with extra equipment but "standard" knock detections from the ECM won't detects it.
prj

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 04:21:21 AM »

Piston ring land will break when you run at the knock limit.
No it won't.
Soft knocking the knock detection will not recognize.
It will, perfectly unless you mess with it.
In fact I can see and hear every single knock event on these engines.
If it keeps knocking you probably exceeded 7.5 degrees retard on that cylinder - meaning learn to tune Wink
Tahnx for your answer. So, to go 2 degrees back, wenn the knock control recognises nocking (shiffting the ignition angle about 3 degrees back) is a good idea...
There is no "shifting angle back about 3 degrees"... In fact you can't see any knock control related activity from vag com, because all vag com shows is requested timing, not actual timing.

Maybe 2° aren't enought - because knock control only detects strong knocking.
Again wrong, it detects even the smallest event.
I know a lot of tuned turbo engines where the ring land is broken after 10-20k km.
Never had this problem ever on the 200 or so 2.2T based projects I have tuned.
From my experience with a knock box you have a "wide" range of "slight" knocking before it really knocks very loud.
"Knock box" is useless, it detects knock when there is none.
I tested this with 95 Octane fuel, high CR in summer.
Don't compare knock control on a 3.6 PT or 4.2 ABH with the knock control of 2.2T. Knock control of 2.2T is a completely different world and very sophisticated.
The knock control on the V8 engines is worthless.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
prj

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 04:26:34 AM »

Here's a third gear pull from a 400+ hp car with my logger.
You can see knock, you can see ECU reacting, and you can see that requested timing does not change...

Log your car properly.
Acki

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 02:29:09 AM »

You won't have broken ringland because of the forged pistons.
But I have made the experience at other engines (cast pistons).
You also see it when you dismantle the engine, the pistons will be very clean.

The Knock Block is only a small amplifier with a built in bandpass-filter.
The detection is my "brain" - ear.
When I have doubts I record it on the laptop and make a FFT to make the knock visual.
It's also possible to remove other frequencies.
I have recorded it, I will upload it for you.

I have also spoke with different companys which sells and tune with those tools and they confirmed me that also a slight knocking is not the best case.

About knocking, there are different stages. Slight, "normal" and "extrem" knocking.
Extrem knocking is a statistical event, 100.000 fire events without knocking and 2 extrem knockings and engine is damaged. Normal behavior. You can find much more information in books about this.

How good the I5 or V8 Motronic knock control is I don't know - I guess you know it much better than me.
I have see on old Jetronic/Mikroplex ECMs that there is knocking possible which the ECM don't detect (knock threshold voltage to high?! What ever the reason is).
For the M 2.7 (Punto GT) I know that you can have broken ringlands because of slight knocking.

Impact of the fuel in the sound of the combustion/knocking I have to evaluate.
prj

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:18:15 AM »

You won't have broken ringland because of the forged pistons.
I use stock pistons in most cases. The stock pistons on AAN/ABY/ADU/3B are very strong and capable of 700hp. The only issues is the compression ratio.
We are talking about M2.3 here and the 2.2T engine. None of what you said holds any water in case on these engines or with this engine management.

It's perfectly safe to run M2.3 with some knock events occurring. Nothing will break, because the ECU sees knock perfectly unless you do exotic things Wink

Log your car properly.
Acki

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 04:15:14 AM »

Standard I5 pistons are forged Mahle pistons Smiley C20LET and Z20LEH use the same material. Very strong piston, I guess the best OEM piston (material) what is available.

I only can speak about the experiences I made.
Most I made with a fiat uno turbo. Since I used the knock block I never had any head gasket damages Smiley
Ignition is very safe, I drove it at 40°C in the summer with a heat soaked engine and only 95 octane fuel.
The result was a damage free running since 3 years.
Maybe I will be braver this year and use 102 octance (Aral Ultimate) and see how much more ignition is possible.
From real knocking till complete knock free I had an area of around 6-8°.
Maybe it was too safe because you feel the lack of power.
RPM range was 3500-4500rpm.

V8 knock control is worser? Should I install knock block and work with my ears or can I trust the original knock control?

Are there any knock control related maps? Thresholds or what ever?
How they normal look like?
prj

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 05:35:28 AM »

On V8 it's not adjustable, and it's crap. It doesn't have per-cylinder control...

On 2.2T everything is adjustable, as there is a different MCU and software for knock control.
And it's much better.

Log your car properly.
Acki

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 09:06:51 AM »

On V8 it's not adjustable, and it's crap. It doesn't have per-cylinder control...

On 2.2T everything is adjustable, as there is a different MCU and software for knock control.
And it's much better.

You speak for 3.6 V8 I guess?
Because 4.2 V8 has newer Motronic and the service manuals says it can.
There is a SSP of the I5 motronic and the new V8 motronic Smiley
BUT I can't say if this is true what they write there. Sad
prj

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »

You speak for 3.6 V8 I guess?
Because 4.2 V8 has newer Motronic and the service manuals says it can.
There is a SSP of the I5 motronic and the new V8 motronic Smiley
BUT I can't say if this is true what they write there. Sad

Yeah, from the V8 I only have experience with 3.6 Smiley
I don't know about 4.2 but on 3.6 it was really crap at detecting knock.

Log your car properly.
Acki

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »

Yes. 4.2 is better Wink

Here take a look Wink http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_143.PDF
karel5000

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 05:39:43 AM »

Interresting. Thanx for your tips. I am very glad to hear from you.

I suspected the VAG COM, that it shows the ignition setpoint without the additional ignition nocking value only, because i set the ignition about 4° sooner and nothing. Without the Motronic 2.3 specifications it is not easy to do something...

Thats the reason, why i also build such an audio knock detection system - my older knock sensor as a microphone, my laptop and FFT. To hear nocking without a measurement, it is not so reliabe. At least for me. I have not tested the system yet.

I am very surprised, that such an old knock management system is so sophysticated. Can you tune the knock pre-windows, knock windows, frequencies (for each cylinder separetely), gain...?

I can not believe, that it is so reliable, anyway. There is still development of the knock management strategies in the car industry but there are still some problems with it. The nocking is practically detected throw statistics while sometims the knocking appeares but the knock control does not recognises it because of noise and on the contrary...

Yes, as the knocking depends very strong on the combustion area, specially on the materials, sizes or timing of components (knock frequency), and very much on the load (knock windows), it is very important to adjust these maps during tuning of engins. This is probably the reason, why engines blow after tuning not recognising knocking...

I would like to know, if the known tuning companies also adjust the knock maps during tuning...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:02:21 AM by karel5000 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: