Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eprom programmer.  (Read 8560 times)
AmIdYfReAk

« on: January 21, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm looking at expanding my tool set and getting my hands on an eprom programmer.

Though, Something that has me a little confused.

There are two ways it seems that i can attach the Eprom chip for reading and writing.

there is the Socket that requires you to de solder the eprom and place it in, do the work and re solder.

Then there are a series of pressure clips that attach them selves on the chip while its on the PCB and allows for reading and or writing ( burning ).

Now my question is, Is there any short comings or known issues while writing to the eprom while its still on the PCB?

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I've got no issue with soldering. The Clip just looks like an easy and slick solution with what seems to be less chance for damage on the board.

thanks!  Cool
kls

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 02:52:31 AM »

The clip is the way to go if it works. In my case I have used a Pomona SOIC clip with a UPA USB programmer to read/write the eeproms of ME7.1.1 and ME7.5 boards. I let the programmer power the eeprom and as a result parts of the ECU as well. This can generate errors as it places a lot of load on the programmer. I sometimes get errors so I have to try reading a second or third time but when it does a read its been 100% perfect, same with writes.

You can also power up the ECU itself using its own power supply but in that case you should short the crystal on the main MCU so its not active and trying to do its own read/writes to the eeprom.

btw, there are a lot of chinese clone Pomona SOIC clips on ebay - they are junk so stay away from them. I bought one but thankfully got 100% of my money refunded. I then checked mouser.com and they had them in stock for a great price. The 8 pin SOIC clip part # is 5250.
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »

As kls mentioned it can be done, but you are powering parts of the ECU when you do it.

Any particular reason you would want to use a programmer over a bench harness and boot mode with Galletto?  When I got my Galletto it came with an adapter that allowed me to easily build a bench flashing rig.
AmIdYfReAk

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »

Perfect, this is the kinda reply that i was looking for.

The Eprom programmer that I've selected ( and now ordered ) is the True-USB PRO GQ-4X, I have high hopes for the external power supply and etc for the situations above.

As for the clip, i was bouncing around between the Pomona and a 3M one that is offered with a supplier.

to be honest, I've never heard of pomona and i was looking at the cheap e-bay ones and figured it was a cheap e-bay cable no matter where i ordered, So i grabbed the 3M instead.
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4234

Jason,
I've already got a gelletto cable, along with a home made bench harness powered by an ATX ( computer ) power supply.

But there is no access to the EEPROM Via the OBD port as far as I'm reading, and that is where the IMMO, checksum settings and etc are located.
AmIdYfReAk

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:38:31 AM »

Nice! my question was already answered!

http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=89.15

Reply #26

Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »

Man it is too early and I have not had my coffee.  Cheesy  I must have missed where you said serial eprom.

I have that exact test clip you linked to and the same programmer you mentioned... I haven't really had time/absolute need to play with it yet though since I don't have an immo.  I want to disable the checksum validation on one of my ECU's to make tuning easier, which is where this comes in to play.

I have heard really good things about this combination though, so I think you are in good shape.
AmIdYfReAk

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:42:52 AM »

Good to hear man!

I'm getting excited to try this out and possibly do the immo delete on a spare ECU.
SundayNightDriver

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 05:48:32 AM »

The GQ-4x + Pomona clip worked fine for both my A8 ECU and dashboard. Read/write was perfect every time.

Just wondering how it's supposed to be possible to disable checksum validation in the eeprom?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: