Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: JFONZ baby stage 3 HELP?  (Read 34918 times)
S4dizzle219

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »

Absolutely not.

Why would it not be ok, Doug from frankenturbo said so this is a direct stock replacement. Said I would be ok I thought that was funny but if my tune tells my car (a) amount of fuel(b) amount of spark (c) amount of boost all the variables are the same until I change one right the turbos won't be pushing more boost until I tell them too right. So what would make this not work right?

4 rings to rule them all!
ddillenger

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »

Are you really asking why you can't slap a larger turbo on and not retune?

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
tegman88

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2013, 04:54:38 PM »

I hate to sound like an idiot, but I don't see why you couldn't slap larger turbos on and just run them with a stock file.

Regardless of what the turbos are capable of the car should limit the boost to whatever the ecu tells it to.
Just a very basic hypothetical, but if you're tuned to boost at 10psi the N75 will activate your wastegates so that you only see 10psi. If you put a larger turbo on you'll have more lag but 10psi is still 10psi, right?
S4dizzle219

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »

I hate to sound like an idiot, but I don't see why you couldn't slap larger turbos on and just run them with a stock file.

Regardless of what the turbos are capable of the car should limit the boost to whatever the ecu tells it to.
Just a very basic hypothetical, but if you're tuned to boost at 10psi the N75 will activate your wastegates so that you only see 10psi. If you put a larger turbo on you'll have more lag but 10psi is still 10psi, right?

That is kinda what I was thinking, I know its a did car but my eclipse I put a 16gturbo on my car that had a built motor and waited to tune till I could afford DSM LINK. The car ran the same until I started tweaking with it.

ddillenger

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »

Because it'll overboost like a MOTHER. On E85 and stock rods, shit. You'll be luck to not have parts on the pavement in a week.

The larger turbos require less duty cycle to make the same boost. Couple that with your tuners propensity to disable safeguards, and the car won't care it's overboosting.

Good luck with it, but it's a terrible idea.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
tegman88

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »

Ah, I hadn't considered that. For some reason I assumed the ecm would just adjust wastegate duty cycle however much was necessary to maintain specified boost.
S4dizzle219

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2013, 06:11:18 PM »

soooo. i threw on the turbos. I'm still running my e85 tune car is running great. i am currently waiting on a few parts and my stg3 tune i will be switching to in a few days. I would like to say thanks for the help here. I have been logging just regular drives and a few easy pulls nothing crazy. Everything seems kosher if i rip into higher R's it will pull a bit lean but i for the most part drive like a grandma (until i switch over !!! hehehe)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: