Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In car flashing  (Read 11841 times)
Rick

« on: February 07, 2011, 04:38:02 AM »

Has anyone flashed whilst out on the road without a battery charger etc?

Does it work? Obviously it's better to have 13+V when writing, but this is no good if you are out mapping and need to make lots of adjustments.

Rick.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:28:21 AM »

I have never used a charger, maybe 10 flashes without a problem. I have a new battery so it's got decent voltage when unloaded.
Rick

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 07:35:14 AM »

Good to hear.  Something in my UK S4 is stopping in car flashing, I can only flash on the bench.  I will run a new cable to the Kline which only goes to the ECU.

Rick
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:48:52 AM »

I should have mentioned, Mine is a Leon cupra so although ME7.5, possibly not representative of all ME7.x ECU's.
quattronutter

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:46:47 PM »

i have tried the extra wire to k line direct into the ecu but it didnt work,uk s4 also,although ecux will only work with extra wire to ecu
overspeed

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 06:52:25 PM »

I Made more than 50 cars and never used charger or disconect fans or some like that...

am I lucky ?..don
ArgDub

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 07:26:30 PM »

I have never used charger, in fact once I didn't realize that the passenger heated seat was on and I didn't have any problems until voltage dropped below 10V. Battery was so dead that I had to hook up the charger to start the car. think I have the record Grin
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 08:52:25 PM »

Yes... I've posted this before but I'll post it again.

Do not attempt to roadside flash the ECU if you have a conventional battery installed.  Most parts stores are selling conventional batteries instead of the deep cycles that come from the factory.  These batteries do not provide sufficient voltage since they are being used in the wrong application, and immediately begin to fail.  The Audi (and other brand) deep cycles will provide higher, more reliable voltages - if you are unsure - check to see if the battery is rated in Ah or CCA...  Ah = deep cycle, CCA = conventional.

Conventional batteries are good at providing higher starting current.

Deep cycle batteries are designed for slower, deeper discharge while providing higher voltage at the cost of being able to provide less current.

With that said, I still carry a spare ECU with a limp tune on it - Juuuuuust in case.

Also, if you've installed an electric fan, pull the fuse before flashing.  Mine likes to fire up now and then, and it will create enough of a voltage sag to botch the flash.

Edit:  As long as you have a deep cycle battery in good health you are probably fine...  But always have a backup plan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:54:57 PM by Jason » Logged
Matt Danger

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »

Last year I flashed with my weak little 16lb Odyssey 680 battery at least 5 times. Not ideal, but it was fine. If your battery is good you should be fine.
Rick

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 02:45:19 AM »

i have tried the extra wire to k line direct into the ecu but it didnt work,uk s4 also,although ecux will only work with extra wire to ecu

Does your ECU flash on the bench?  Which ECU is it?
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »

I flashed on the road all the time with my tiny Odyssey PC680 motorcycle battery. Granted I was using the fast flashing mode of my software that flashed in 45 seconds. I never had a problem, but I always carried a second ECU with a backup tune, and the tools to swap the ECU.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
quattronutter

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 02:16:34 PM »

early c ecu,i can flash on bench,but not with me7 flasher,couldnt get it to read,how about adding an extra ground wire with switch into pin 24 on eprom?
Rick

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »

early c ecu,i can flash on bench,but not with me7 flasher,couldnt get it to read,how about adding an extra ground wire with switch into pin 24 on eprom?

C box will not flash with Nefmoto software, as it doesn't support KWP/2000.  That's why i changed to another ECU.  What are you bench flashing with?  Galletto?

Rick
quattronutter

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 04:24:36 PM »

C box will not flash with Nefmoto software, as it doesn't support KWP/2000.  That's why i changed to another ECU.  What are you bench flashing with?  Galletto?

Rick
im using optican,but galletto works ok too
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »

Even though the 680 is small it's a deep cycle, so it will still keep the voltage high enough to flash as long as you don't have any unreasonable loads on it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: