Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: IAT based timing retard map?  (Read 15555 times)
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »

When comparing it to a log from my "safe and conservative" APR map the knock voltages arn't far off.

Ignore voltages, they don't mean anything. Look at CF.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Snow Trooper

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 02:14:30 PM »

I know from a tuning standpoint that the engine can have much more timing then it currently has at the given IAT and I am just curious as to where my timing is going in the top end when knock was relatively low in comparison.

Heavily disagree.  Any knock means the engine is knocking.  For some reason the age old adage that CF is good and means you are making full power got locked in but IMHO its complete garbage.  Dont let it knock and it wont start trimming things and getting into different maps. 

I keep repeating this and eventually I will remember to take specific logs for it but it is very obvious once you tune this way, if you stay out of CF range you are actually riding the limit and making the most power on this car, your overall timing stays more consistent and actually higher.  You are seeing small det, once there is any CF, you are knocking and doing slow damage to your engine and immediate damage to power output.  When CFs are still at zero, there is KV, albeit minor and happy.  Try it.

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »

I agree. In my experience, the closer to zero CF, the better your resulting timing will be, ESPECIALLY at peak boost. If you get any CF at peak boost, the rest of your pull will blow ass.

Keep your requested timing conservative; your butt dyno (and motor) will thank you for it.

I used to think along the lines ST said got "locked in" (CF is good!) but recently I have seen the light.

During extreme conditions (bad gas, overboost, high IAT) some CF is expected, but if it is cool and the car is running well, you shouldn't see any.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »

To clarify my post:

If you have a dyno, bump up requested timing until you see non-zero CF... then back it off until you start losing HP.... and initially you will GAIN HP.

Don't forget to reset adaptations between runs.

ECUx Plot

Snow Trooper

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »

yup, we all use to tune to single digit CFs, like -9 was no big deal.  LOL, we were just not understanding it correctly.  homebrew days are where this got locked in as ok.

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: