Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ***Beware of so called pro tuners***  (Read 7379 times)
keedog79

« on: June 06, 2013, 03:31:16 PM »

Let me tell you of my experience with one tuner in particular. I will leave his name and his business name confidential on this forum. (If you want to know who? PM me I'll tell you) So here goes.....About a few months ago I bought an 01 Audi Allroad with no mods or tuned file. I went on the hunt as soon as I got it for a list of things to mods and tune. Within about 2 months I had done all the modifications for stage 2. Now to find a Tuner? Well after doing some research I decided on someone who seemed to know what he was doing. I paid for a Stage 2 upgrade with emissions delete package.

When I received my ECU back I immediately put it in the car and noticed that my EPC light on my dash would stay on for about 2 minutes after I started my car. No big deal because it always turned off. So I go out for a test drive and after I start it up after about 10 minutes and drive I get a check engine light. Saying my sensors in my O2's were not heating up correctly.(I paid for my rear O2's to be deleted). So I put the car on hold for about 2 months with the CE light being cleared out every time because I was planning my wedding and di not have much time.

So before I go on my Honeymoon to Maui I call up the tuner and explain what had been going on. He says, Are you able to flash files yourself or would you like to send me your ECU again? I explained to him that I had been reading info on Nefmoto. I would give it a shot and please send the file. So then I wait 3 days with no file to be seen. I call again and go right to his VM. I text him and call him every 3 days for 3 weeks, still nothing. So then I go to his website to write one final message.  I threaten to call the Bbb, smear his name on social networks, and to talk about him on forums.

He then called the next morning and apologized saying he lost his phone and he was in the process of starting a new business with 2 other tuners and sent me the file.

In that process of waiting 3 weeks I read a lot of nefmoto to learn how to fix my car myself. With a friend helping we figured it out together and have met and talked with some very helpful people here on this forum. (The buddy that helped figure it out had the same tuner do a stage 1 for him he has his own experiences and will most likely chime in after this post goes up). We also have another friend who has his stage 2 from the same tuner and had to ship his ECU back to him 4 times.

Anyways now I have what seems to be a great tune or way better then one supplied by the "pro tuner" I still don't know enough and will continue to read these forums until I get my tuning right. I just hate being ripped off and hope people do the research. Come to find out this tuner also learned and gathered a tune from nefmoto and is selling it as his. Moral of the story please do the research before having a pro do the tune for you. There is still so much more I could say about my experience but I think you all get the point.

Good luck out there and thank you for your continued support.
s5fourdoor

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »

GL dude.  There's plenty of stage 3 and under stuff here for the regular person.
Pro tuners are useful when you are going serious HAM and it requires serious knowledge.
Most "pro tuners" are just "pro shams".  Ask around, the 5-star members of nefmoto know all the real "pro tuners".
You need a real tuner when you are doing strange things, like a MAF delete, water-meth setups, larger engines, boost above 25 psi, or built engines.
You could just learn the shit yourself and take it slowly.  Its gonna take alot of reading for sure.

personally, if you wanted to do something insane, i'd goto jason @ amd.  he's too busy for sub 25k projects now, so... that's life.
ddillenger

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 03:55:11 PM »

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 07:02:19 PM »

* nyet is not a pro tuner... and proud of it.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
UrbanAssaultar

if you're not first, you're last

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 07:15:28 PM »

I have experienced the same lackluster support from this "tuner" as well - both customer support and product failed miserably. I'm in much MUCH better hands now.

LOL @ Jason from AMD, if you aren't putting a twin turbo setup on your R8,  he won't entertain you. I have tried every avenue to contact him other than driving to his shop - he's a very busy guy for a good reason, the "S4 Whisperer" never sleeps.
professor

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 01:02:29 AM »

* nyet is not a pro tuner... and proud of it.
Second that ^^

Seat Ibiza MK4 Cupra 1.8t 20V, stg3.
"Those 1.8T 20V machines are really tough" ©
vdubnation
Turboman
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »

tell me about it i had my share of nightmares if i were the op i would let people who it is so they stay away
keedog79

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 09:37:30 AM »

@vdub I was taught if you have nothing nice to say about someone don't say it at all. If people do want to know they can message myself or UA who also has posted about this "lackluster" in this post. I will give information freely. Hope you understand. :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: