Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Author Topic: Car won't start after successful flash and drive.  (Read 73559 times)
GWerks

« on: February 28, 2011, 10:54:08 PM »

So I flashed my ECU with the file attached, I used Galletto and put the car into boot mode, flash was successful and car started, I drove the car, came back to my house and shut it off. Now it won't start. I put my friend's ECU in my car and it starts. What can I do?

I tried flashing that ECU with Galletto with a stock file, 2 other modified files, and the file I drove it last time with and nothing. The ECU connects to Galletto, flashes success but it won't start.

Anyone have any idea of what happened?

I know it's not my computer or cable because I flashed my friend's ECU after all this occurred and it worked fine.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:01:52 PM by GWerks » Logged
GWerks

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:04:14 PM »

Yes, I did, well, TunerPro did it for me. The thing is, I actually drove the car with that file on it, then when I shut it off it wouldn't start back up, then I tried reflashing the ECU back to stock using Galletto and the flash completed but it still wouldn't start.
phila_dot

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:05:23 PM »

Can you connect with VAG?
GWerks

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:17:06 PM »

I don't have VAG. But I tried connecting it to an other diagnose software I have (on my HTC touch pro) and it connected.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:37:16 PM »

Can you try flashing with Nefmoto? at least then you'll get some verification feedback sector by sector.

Also, can you read out the flash and do a hex compare with the ori file to see if the flash chip has gone bad?
GWerks

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:55:46 PM »

Can you try flashing with Nefmoto? at least then you'll get some verification feedback sector by sector.

Also, can you read out the flash and do a hex compare with the ori file to see if the flash chip has gone bad?

I haven't tried flashing with the NefMoto software yet, I will try that tomorrow.

Also, how can I read the flash? How can I check if the original flash has gone bad?
setzi62

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 04:16:37 AM »

So I flashed my ECU with the file attached, I used Galletto and put the car into boot mode, flash was successful and car started, I drove the car, came back to my house and shut it off. Now it won't start. I put my friend's ECU in my car and it starts. What can I do?

I tried flashing that ECU with Galletto with a stock file, 2 other modified files, and the file I drove it last time with and nothing. The ECU connects to Galletto, flashes success but it won't start.

I know it's not my computer or cable because I flashed my friend's ECU after all this occurred and it worked fine.

The checksums in your file are not updated! Seems like you have an error stored in the
eeprom now. Sounds typical that you once can drive and for the next driving cycle the
engine won't start. I am not sure if the ecu will clear this error after some time when
you have flashed an image with correct checksums. You could give it a try and
flash your orig file, then leave ignition on for several minutes to allow the internal checksum
process to finish. A complete checksum run inside the ecu needs more than 15 minutes.
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 04:50:41 AM »

Thanks, i will fix the checksums.  How can I verify they are correct other than my checksum pluggin popping up in a little window? I would like to not post any more files with bad checksums.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:13:59 AM by judeisnotobscure » Logged

I have a b5 s4
but i just want to dance.
GWerks

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:15:11 AM »

The checksums in your file are not updated! Seems like you have an error stored in the
eeprom now. Sounds typical that you once can drive and for the next driving cycle the
engine won't start. I am not sure if the ecu will clear this error after some time when
flash your orig file, then leave ignition on for several minutes to allow the internal checksum
process to finish. A complete checksum run inside the ecu needs more than 15 minutes.

Okay, awesome, thanks soo much. I will definitely give this a try today. But what if it doesn't work? Should I consider the ECU done?
ElementalVoid

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:50:54 AM »

Thanks, i will fix the checksums.  How can I verify they are correct other than my checksum pluggin popping up in a little window? I would like to not post any more files with bad checksums.

Are you sure you're loading the same XDF each time? TunerPro ties your checksum settings to the XDF. If you load a different on disk XDF file, even if it is identical content, then I sont knot that your checksums will update. I'll try this tonight and see.

Also, if your XDF headers are correct and you're not getting the checksums updated I think you need to contact MTX about the problem.

There is one indication in TunerPro that does tell you about the checksum updates. When you save the bin keep an eye on the status bar near the bottom left. When the checksum pluton update the file you'll see a green (yellow?) status indicator with the words "Checksums updated" or similar. I'm on the train right now and don't remember the words/colors exactly.
GWerks

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 10:22:06 AM »

Tried this and it didn't work.
GWerks

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 10:39:54 AM »

Anyone have an idea of what I could do to fix it?
setzi62

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 11:12:17 AM »

Just to be sure, because I forgot to say: after flashing with your original you need to first
turn off ignition before then checking wether ecu would clear the error after ignition stayed
on for longer time. But most probably you tried it already this way.
Nevertheless, I don't think your ECU is done, it just needs to clear the checksum error.
Did you try to flash with the NefMoto flasher? I think a successful flash with this would
also clear the ecu's checksum error.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »

You need to flash using the NefMoto ECU Flasher!  Grin

Two out of the three checksums are checked by the ECU on startup. The third checksum is only checked every few driving cycles. If you have an invalid checksum error code, the car will refuse to start.

The only way to remove the invalid checksum error code is to flash over OBD using the KWP1281 or KWP2000 protocols. The NefMoto ECU Flasher uses the factory protocols over OBD with the KWP2000 protocol.

If you use boot mode with a tool like MiniMon, Galletto, or KWP2000Plus, then you reprogram the flash without the ECU knowing, and it won't clear the invalid checksum error code.

Reflashing your ECU with the NefMoto ECU Flasher will clear the invalid checksum error code.

That is why it is awesome, and boot mode tools suck.  Cheesy

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
GWerks

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 05:21:12 PM »

You need to flash using the NefMoto ECU Flasher!  Grin

Two out of the three checksums are checked by the ECU on startup. The third checksum is only checked every few driving cycles. If you have an invalid checksum error code, the car will refuse to start.

The only way to remove the invalid checksum error code is to flash over OBD using the KWP1281 or KWP2000 protocols. The NefMoto ECU Flasher uses the factory protocols over OBD with the KWP2000 protocol.

If you use boot mode with a tool like MiniMon, Galletto, or KWP2000Plus, then you reprogram the flash without the ECU knowing, and it won't clear the invalid checksum error code.

Reflashing your ECU with the NefMoto ECU Flasher will clear the invalid checksum error code.

That is why it is awesome, and boot mode tools suck.  Cheesy
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I'm trying right now with my FT232R and I will let you guys know how it goes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: