Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New to ECU flashing. B5 A4 4.2 swap in progress, could use some advise!  (Read 19370 times)
tinytim

Hey guys. So I am in the process of swapping a 2001 AWN 40v 4.2 into a 1996 B5 A4. I have to retrofit the DBW setup as this is a DBW engine. All that stuff I am OK with. When it comes to the programming of the ECU, that's where I am lacking. I am no stranger to swaps and things of that nature, I have just never been in a position where some re-flashing is absolutely necessary to get the car up and running. I have read a lot about flashing and its one more thing Id like to be able to do myself. I have the "dumb" cables from my VCSD setup already. Here's where I need some guidance.

1. Immobilizer defeat
2. Flash to accept a 01a 5 speed trans
3. *maybe* some tuning if there is anything available for the 40v 4.2

I think that's it really. Where does one obtain the files to flash for the trans? Where would you obtain tuning flashes? Am I missing anything... is there more to it then flashing and programming the appropriate stuff for the IMMO defeat?

Tim   

C5 A6 2.7t TIP
B5 A4 4.2 01a
nyet
Administrator

Why would you swap that in and not a 2.7t?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
userpike

Because there is no replacement for displacement!  Tongue  ..heard that somewhere lol
tinytim

Well that doesn't help answer my question in any way! I have already swapped a 2.7t... why do the same thing twice!? Not a lot of people do the 4.2 swap, so I want something different. Please don't turn this into a '2.7t vs 4.2' thread... 

C5 A6 2.7t TIP
B5 A4 4.2 01a
ddillenger

Read the "understanding/retrofitting immobilizer" sticky, and the s4 tuning wiki. I can provide you with an s6 manual file (available in the tuned files, 4D0907559E) with the proper injector and MAF data for the A6. Do some reading, if you have any questions after that we'll be happy to help.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
tinytim

Read the "understanding/retrofitting immobilizer" sticky, and the s4 tuning wiki. I can provide you with an s6 manual file (available in the tuned files, 4D0907559E) with the proper injector and MAF data for the A6. Do some reading, if you have any questions after that we'll be happy to help.

Excellent. More reading it is. Picking up a dedicated laptop for tuning tonight. Is it worth getting a bench flashing setup too?

C5 A6 2.7t TIP
B5 A4 4.2 01a
ddillenger

Excellent. More reading it is. Picking up a dedicated laptop for tuning tonight. Is it worth getting a bench flashing setup too?

Depends on how often you plan to flash. If you have an issue (lose power, fail a flash, get disconnected) with a flash, you may need to recover with bootmode. In that case, a bench flashing setup is much easier to deal with than trying to do it in the car.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
tinytim

Depends on how often you plan to flash. If you have an issue (lose power, fail a flash, get disconnected) with a flash, you may need to recover with bootmode. In that case, a bench flashing setup is much easier to deal with than trying to do it in the car.

After reading through the wiki on bench flashing and seeing that its a minimal cost for the supplies, I'm going to get myself set up for bench flashing too. I plan to flash my 2.7t at some point also. The 4.2 will be practice. Kinda excited to give this a go. Ive been wrenching on cars for 15+ years... its about time to dive into what I was always afraid of!

C5 A6 2.7t TIP
B5 A4 4.2 01a
tinytim

Last night I ordered all the supplies for bench flashing. Ended up getting:

-ebay obd/409 cable
-male to female obd cable to use for the male end connector (I plan to splice a harnesses together, I dont want to mess with alligator clips every time)
-audi ecu pigtail
-450w pc 12v supply (already had this so I figured id just use it)
-Asus x501a laptop (I wanted something dedicated for flashing/vag com)

Also got a me7 ecu for the 4.2.

C5 A6 2.7t TIP
B5 A4 4.2 01a
ddillenger

Make sure your ecu is ME7.1.1, not ME7.1, as the euro files that work well aren't 7.1 compatible.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
tinytim

I made sure to get a ME7.1.1... I did my homework!

C5 A6 2.7t TIP
B5 A4 4.2 01a
Carsinc

I'm going to recommend buying a Galetto(not sure of spelling) cable.
nyet
Administrator

Based on what?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
tinytim

If I plan to bench flash, what would I need the cable for, if I need to bootflash when the ECU is in the car... as a backup basically?

C5 A6 2.7t TIP
B5 A4 4.2 01a
Carsinc

Because I like having choices and if something goes wrong, boot mode with galetto?? seems to work great for me.
I was bench flashing a ECU with a big name tuners software last week when the power went out here. There was a storm.
It saved my ass I was able to load some file to get the ecu talking again. The big name tuner would not continue the flash.
I'm sure some others would have worked but for like 20 bucks of ebay. Its worth it to me.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: