Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VDO encrypted 93C86 eeprom dump for restoring C5 A6/Allroad DEF clusters  (Read 19203 times)
ddillenger

If you brick your cluster and get a DEF error, the only way to repair it, short of super expensive tools is to desolder and write an original encrypted read back into the eeprom. The backup you made (you DID backup your old file right?) via OBD will not work as it's been decrypted by the cluster by the time you get it.

It must be written as 8bit.

This one is good for 03-05. I'll post 01-02 later.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:09:05 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
jackson.amrol@gmail.com

"you sir are an animal"

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 08:22:29 PM »

I'm just going to thank you in advance for this one....

Lost, No.. My minds around here somewhere..
Shh, I'm calling my mom.. "It's 3AM" SHH!
Mom, is there such a thing as kosher pork?
"I'm not bailing you out tonight"...
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 10:45:13 PM »

I'm going to thank dd retroactively on this one Smiley

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 11:08:16 PM »

I'm going to thank dd retroactively on this one Smiley

It sucks hat it happened, but at the same time it was an opportunity to learn something new that not many people know (and the ones that do shroud it in secrecy). Glad the cluster's fixed Tongue

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
eliotroyano

If you brick your cluster and get a DEF error, the only way to repair it, short of super expensive tools is to desolder and write an original encrypted read back into the eeprom. The backup you made (you DID backup your old file right?) via OBD will not work as it's been decrypted by the cluster by the time you get it.

DD do you test the VAG Eeprommer on bench or OBD with those clusters?
ddillenger

DD do you test the VAG Eeprommer on bench or OBD with those clusters?

I did, and it works well, but once you've bricked it you can't write the cluster without desoldering.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
SebastianS

Hello, Mr ddillenger.

I have similar problem with bricked dash, after some bastard tried to capture my car :-/
My Allroad 2.7T AT is 2001, so would You post such file to fix a problem?

Thank You!
Sebastian
ddillenger

Do you have a DEF error? Give me some details, I will get you sorted.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
gavincurtis

Hi,

Were you able to get this to work?  I think they compare the 93C86 EEPROM with an internal EEPROM in the Micronas CPU. I can take the 93C86 EEPROM from a cluster that is working properly and install it into the one with the DEF fault.  New mileage appears as according to the EEPROM I just transplanted, but the DEF fault is still there.  So there must be a comparison taking place with an internal EEPROM of the CPU.  When I take that EEPROM back off and install into the good cluster, everything is okay again.

gavincurtis

Also, did you happen to get the 01-02?  My cluster is an '02 and will try it and report back.
ddillenger

Yes, must have the same bitmask to work. I have 02, just need to know your cluster info so I can get you what you need!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
path83

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 07:51:17 AM »

I´ve bricked my cluster last weekend and have tryed to restore it with your file using an EZP2010 Flasher.

The problem i got is, everytime i want to write the file i got a write error using the Atmel 93c86 8 or 16 bit chip specs. Using the Fairchild 93c86 dosent get an error message, but the cluster is dead anyway Sad

Do you have any ideas or can you tell me how to flash the file to the eeprom?

Thank you.
hytron

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »

ddillenger,

I am not sure if you even have to desolder it. I was able to successfully read cluster from 2001-2003 Jetta and 2005-2006 TDIs using elnec bench eeprom programmer. What I used was a 8-pin clip that attaches on the top of the chip and the other end plugged into programmers ISP port.  I am pretty sure the programmer read bit by bit directly from the chip.

So you are saying that if you use software (such as VAG K+CAN), the output read from the eeprom is decoded first and then sent out? Are you positive about this?

These are the files from 2001-2003 gasoline (I am not sure which one, just picked up a cluster on a junkyard) - 93C86 and 2006 TDI 24C32.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:57:12 PM by hytron » Logged
hytron

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 11:31:38 AM »

Both read using ISP port on ELNEC programmer. Power was provided by the programmer.

*** Note: 2006JY is from a 2006 TDI vehicle!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:57:34 PM by hytron » Logged
hytron

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 11:38:59 AM »

I´ve bricked my cluster last weekend and have tryed to restore it with your file using an EZP2010 Flasher.

The problem i got is, everytime i want to write the file i got a write error using the Atmel 93c86 8 or 16 bit chip specs. Using the Fairchild 93c86 dosent get an error message, but the cluster is dead anyway Sad

Do you have any ideas or can you tell me how to flash the file to the eeprom?

Thank you.

elnec programmers do it for sure. I have erased with 0xFF, then restored original, and tried reading it again and all functions work correctly. I am not sure what chip setup I used, I can check when I get home and let you know..I think it was atmel as well.

When you finish flashing the eeprom make sure you can read from it, and the make sure the result is not all FF or all 00.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:02:13 PM by hytron » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: