Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best upgrade to go with tune  (Read 15480 times)
ElementalVoid

« on: March 18, 2011, 11:31:17 PM »

I've set aside a bit of money for some upgrades and would like to get everyone's opinion on what they would buy other than a tune. I was thinking of a turbo back, but am curious if there might be something better to spend my money on.

The car is a 2001.5 S4. The motor has 70k miles. Right now I've done the Darintake mod and I'm working on a tune. I have some Innovate goodies in the garage waiting to be installed (LC-1, LMA-3, XD-16).

What would you get next?
coreyj03

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:14:19 AM »

i would buy a water meth kit. since your going to flash your own tune.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:09:25 AM »

If I could do it all over again and was looking to save money. I would do piggy pipes and maybe electric exhaust cut outs later on with a stock exhaust. A water meth injection kit is also good value for money.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 02:22:28 AM »

i vote turbo back, or piggies with exhaust then meth.
i think meth will be my next purchase.
With a good flowing exhaust you can really kill your ko3's much faster.

the difference is crazy between stock exhaust and full turbo back as far as how much of a load map you can get away with.
blueish green= stock exhaust and stock dps without negative boost deviation.
black= full turbo back without negative boost deviation.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:25:32 AM by judeisnotobscure » Logged

I have a b5 s4
but i just want to dance.
ElementalVoid

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:08 PM »

Regarding the exhaust, I think i'll go with piggies for now. Can't beat the price (free). It's interesting to see that you can hold that much load without boost deviation in the higher RPMs with a turbo back though. I didn't expect that much of a difference. However, I don't want to force my ko3s into a failure so I'll probably continue to pull a good amount of load in the upper RPMs.

I'm guessing that the main restriction in the stock exhaust is the cats, not the pipes/mufflers. So a modification that I think I'll probably do with the piggies is to cut out the main cat and put in a test pipe section using clamps similar to what's used on the stock exhaust. Then when I have to pass emissions I can just flash back a stock tune with rear o2s coded out and swap in the main cats.

Since I'll still have money to spend I'm putting water/meth injection on my list for contemplation, but how much gain do you really get from it? This is a daily driver that will see very little track/strip time and I'm not a street racer so I'm not in this to get every last drop of power out of the car in order to beat the guy next to me at the light. I'm in it to fiddle, learn, and build a strong reliable car. How reliable are the injection systems? How often am I going to have to be filling up the holding tank? Basically, is the gain worth the extra maintenance for a daily driver that's used to cart my lazy ass to work and get my son to his grandparents house?
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:12:23 PM »

Your exhaust plan sounds pretty good to me. I've never run meth though so I can't speak of the gains to be had with any first hand knowledge... I will say that if u run out of meth while running a file turned for meth, you will not like the results. If u take your laptop in the car then u can simply flash a different tune in should you happen to run low on meth to avoid that problem.

I have a b5 s4
ElementalVoid

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »

Your exhaust plan sounds pretty good to me. I've never run meth though so I can't speak of the gains to be had with any first hand knowledge... I will say that if u run out of meth while running a file turned for meth, you will not like the results. If u take your laptop in the car then u can simply flash a different tune in should you happen to run low on meth to avoid that problem.

Exactly, there is absolutely ZERO chance that I'll be taking a laptop with me everywhere. I also don't want to be hindered by that for road trips. But I don't want to have to de-tune to feel safe/comfortable taking a trip where I mat not have easy access to refill.

My car's function needs to continue to be a daily driver first and a toy second.
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 04:43:43 PM »

i think vast has a meth setup that automatically cuts timing when meth runs out... i think it switches maps similarly to apr, but based of the meth level sensor indication.

if you don't want to go this route then it sounds like meth is probably not going to work for you... but bigger turbos will work great Smiley

I have a b5 s4
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »

I was reading up on WMI last night too. One of the major suppliers, maybe Devil's own (?) cuts boost when it runs empty. Crude but better than nothing.

Probably safer to use just water injection to keep things cool and safely nudge a little bit more timing than wind in *loads* of advance and rely solely on methanol to prevent knock.

I'm contemplating WMI over a FMIC, seems a fair compromise to me.
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »

i have an fmic and i believe that wmi would keep ait's as low with stock intercoolers, based off random logs i've seenon the interweb.

I have a b5 s4
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »

We've probably both seen the same logs Cheesy
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 12:47:39 AM »

I've done some more research on a few of the meth kits on the market, and several of them offer a boost control valve that limits boost when the meth tank gets too low.  some offer boost limiting when the water/meth flow is incorrect as well.  i'm definitely getting meth as my next upgrade.

I have a b5 s4
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 12:48:10 AM »

We've probably both seen the same logs Cheesy
I suspect we have as well.

I have a b5 s4
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 03:41:39 PM »

I was reading up on WMI last night too. One of the major suppliers, maybe Devil's own (?) cuts boost when it runs empty. Crude but better than nothing.

Speaking of better than nothing, you can also tweak the IAT dependent boost maps as well, and have it cut boost when IATs get "too high"

Again, its crude, but better than nothing Smiley

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: