Pages: [1]
Author Topic: wastegate actuator for a golf 1.8t K03s  (Read 12939 times)
oldcarguy85

« on: December 04, 2013, 09:09:33 AM »

Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone has an old K03s laying around they'd be willing to sell the wastegate actuator off of.  I'm tracking down a hard to find problem and want to rule this out.  I know i can pressure test it, but i think the problem may be very heat dependent (hard to replicate the kind of heat produced under load).

Thanks!
userpike

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 11:10:58 AM »

Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone has an old K03s laying around they'd be willing to sell the wastegate actuator off of.  I'm tracking down a hard to find problem and want to rule this out.  I know i can pressure test it, but i think the problem may be very heat dependent (hard to replicate the kind of heat produced under load).

Thanks!

after full warm up, run the heck out of the car then immedietly stop and pull the line going to the WG off the n75, check leak down on the  WG actuator and the it's supply hose.

What is the hard to find problem you are having?

As far as getting another WG actuator, check the u-pull-it junk yards. I visit the one local to me a couple times a month and see 1.8ts out there frequently. I imagine that would be the cheapest way. If I can do some testing for you I will. I have 2 k03s turbos under my work bench but not willing to sell just the actuator off them.
oldcarguy85

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 02:01:10 PM »

after full warm up, run the heck out of the car then immedietly stop and pull the line going to the WG off the n75, check leak down on the  WG actuator and the it's supply hose.

What is the hard to find problem you are having?

As far as getting another WG actuator, check the u-pull-it junk yards. I visit the one local to me a couple times a month and see 1.8ts out there frequently. I imagine that would be the cheapest way. If I can do some testing for you I will. I have 2 k03s turbos under my work bench but not willing to sell just the actuator off them.
The problem is mainly a part throttle driveability issue.  For one, the boost fluctuates at a lot of RPMs.  Doesn't seem to be N75 as i've tried two different ones.  Tried a factory flash and got similar results.  Car feels liek it misfires under half throttle around 10psi ish.  No misfire codes.  AFR is right on.  I've replaced teh whole fuel system except for injectors, replaced coils, tried a new ECU, replaced plugs (and gapped correctly).  Im thinking maybe its just the initial boost overshot (which there is a lot of) that is causing the ECU to take drastic measures to correct.  So far, my logs have proved useless and show nothign out of the ordinary....
userpike

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 03:01:39 PM »

The problem is mainly a part throttle driveability issue.  For one, the boost fluctuates at a lot of RPMs.  Doesn't seem to be N75 as i've tried two different ones.  Tried a factory flash and got similar results.  Car feels liek it misfires under half throttle around 10psi ish.  No misfire codes.  AFR is right on.  I've replaced teh whole fuel system except for injectors, replaced coils, tried a new ECU, replaced plugs (and gapped correctly).  Im thinking maybe its just the initial boost overshot (which there is a lot of) that is causing the ECU to take drastic measures to correct.  So far, my logs have proved useless and show nothign out of the ordinary....

if boost is fluttering like you say, you have a boost leak that only happens under higher pressure or even only when the engine is warm.  The flutter is from a "hole" opening and almost closing repeatedly. I think the ECU is trying to compensate for this by altering WGDC. What do your logs show WGDC doing while this is happening?

oldcarguy85

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »

if boost is fluttering like you say, you have a boost leak that only happens under higher pressure or even only when the engine is warm.  The flutter is from a "hole" opening and almost closing repeatedly. I think the ECU is trying to compensate for this by altering WGDC. What do your logs show WGDC doing while this is happening?

I thought the same thing, but i've THOROUGHLY checked for boost leaks on cold and hot motor.  It is cold out now though, so it's possible in the time it took me to setup the test that some component cooled down enough to not leak.   I dont have the logs in front of me but WGDC does what you'd expect.  boost spikes, it compensates with drastically lower wgdc, boost drops below request and WGDC spikes back up and continues until it settles.  It's not a continuous fluctuation -- it will settle after it finds the right WGDC.  This is why i suspect the actuator -- i don't think it's reacting to boost as quickly as it should.
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »

Flash a stock file (or as close as possible) and see what boost does!

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
oldcarguy85

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 04:20:16 PM »

I did. It surges but not as bad.
userpike

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:27:15 PM »

I thought the same thing, but i've THOROUGHLY checked for boost leaks on cold and hot motor.  It is cold out now though, so it's possible in the time it took me to setup the test that some component cooled down enough to not leak.   I dont have the logs in front of me but WGDC does what you'd expect.  boost spikes, it compensates with drastically lower wgdc, boost drops below request and WGDC spikes back up and continues until it settles.  It's not a continuous fluctuation -- it will settle after it finds the right WGDC.  This is why i suspect the actuator -- i don't think it's reacting to boost as quickly as it should.

Have you tried unbolting the actuator rod from the flapper arm dealio to check for free movement of the arm? Also checked smoothness of operation of the actuator rod?

I had a k04-022 Ebay/Chinese special where the WG actuator would get hung up on something inside of the servo can.

post your WGDC graph
oldcarguy85

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:09:35 AM »

i have a thread going about this problem.  I just posted logs there (probably best to keep the discussion in that thread).

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=4999.msg49483#msg49483

Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: