Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Flashing North American TDI Through OBD II Port  (Read 4351 times)
mdmaroon

« on: December 13, 2013, 12:37:10 PM »

Hi everyone,

I've been able to successfully read and write my ECU using a BDM 100 clone.  Works great, but you have to take the ECU out of the car.

I tried a MPPS V13 cable from ebay, but it only reads "FF" for nearly the whole file.  I know that's not the real contents of the flash memory, because I can compare it to the version that was read by BDM.

Has anyone been able to read and write the ECU of a North American TDI through the OBD II port?

The car is a 2004 Golf TDI with 1.9L Pumpe-Deuse (BEW) engine.  The ECU is a Bosch EDC16U31.

Maybe Galletto 1260 would work?  They're cheap enough, so I could just buy one and find out the hard way, but any advice would be appreciated.  I'd rather not give any money to some scam artist if it's not going to work.  (like the MPPS)

I also have a VAG Commander 1.4 cable.  I'm not sure but maybe that cable will work with other software?  If it has the right FTDI chip or something?? (I'm not sure if it does or not).

I think a lot of the tools on ebay and the like are for European versions of the cars, not North American.  Sad
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »

MPPS, might have to pull the cluster fuses but it'll work.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
mdmaroon

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:18:28 PM »

Does pulling the cluster fuses put the ECU into "boot mode" which then allows the MPPS to read it properly without getting "FF" for the whole file?

I've been doing some reading and I think this is what you have to do with Galletto.  Maybe it's the same for MPPS.

Thanks,  I'll try it.
k0mpresd

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »

mpps is only reading the data blocks. not the whole file. thats why its mostly FF.
you do not need to pull any fuses for flashing edc16u31 in the car.
mdmaroon

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 03:52:02 PM »

There's an option to do a full read or data only.  I tried both ways and still got all the FF's.  I guess that means it isn't capable of reading more than the data blocks?  The was a small amount of data that wasn't all FF's, but not much.

I'm guessing this FF'd up file wouldn't be safe to write back to the ECU with MPPS... Because, what if it overwrites the flash memory with FF instead of what's really there?

Maybe I should just stick to BDM.  In car flashing would be nice, but at least I have a way to do it if I remove the ECU.
k0mpresd

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »

stop worrying so much. ive flashed u31 just fine over obd.
read mpps, modify the file, flash back.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: