Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MED 17 CAT heating OFF keeping Cold Start  (Read 1622 times)
greektuner

« on: June 29, 2022, 10:43:18 AM »

Hey guys, this is my first Topic on nefmoto because i really didn't find some clear info about that in other topics.

I'm looking for some way to disable the Cat Heating but keeping the Cold Start enabled, i've tried setting FHOKH from 0,70 to 4, but doing this way makes the engine starts like it was already warmed, so the cold start was very roughly.
Does anyone knows if there is a way to keep the higher RPM from Cold start but disabling Cat Heating(Retarded Ignition, Rich mixture etc). Maybe i'll try to set THKHMX to 0, but it sounds as same way as setting FHOKH from 0,70 to 4.

prj

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 10:57:04 AM »

I don't think you understand what cat heat is.
Cat heat is exactly the high RPM start with SAI.

If you turn it off, it does not do it anymore, it only keeps the idle as high as it needs to be.
The engine does not start "like it was already warmed".
In 99% of cars there is zero issues turning it off.

So, what problem exactly are you having?
There is still idle speed based on temperature and also torque reserve is different, and this is more noticeable in sub zero weather.

If you have issues with the idle after start, then most likely you have mechanical problems with the car.
Number one reason is vacuum/boost leak, then bad injectors, bad plugs or bad compression.

If you have checked all of those and you are sure, then I have seen once or twice (out of THOUSANDS of cars) where the non-catheat cold start is not calibrated well.
This was on a couple S18 software versions. Never ever seen it on Bosch.

I'd start with an intake pressure test though.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
greektuner

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 11:20:03 AM »

The engine is a 2.0 TSI CCZA, there's no SAI system. I'll try to set NLLMG to a slightly higher rpm and try to disable Cat heating again. the only mechanical problem that i might have but not checked yet is the inlet port, maybe it's carbonized.

prj

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 11:23:51 AM »

I've turned off cat heat on these many times, zero issues.
Car has mechanical issue.

Carbon in inlet makes zero difference at idle.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
greektuner

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 12:46:39 PM »

I've turned off cat heat on these many times, zero issues.
Car has mechanical issue.

Carbon in inlet makes zero difference at idle.

Nice point, as you said have done a lot of them, you got some fuel economy doing that? was not what i'm looking for, because i have catless downpipe, but won't be bad if i get that extra Grin
bamofo

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 01:22:42 PM »

Cat Heating is only on cold starts or half cold starts. You may be talking about cat purge if your talking about milage... which idk if it applies to this application CLRSHK.

IDK about MED17 but when you turn off FHOKH the routine typically doesnt run ever... which causes emissions systems to never finish their tests and cause some to say incomplete forever.
cherry

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 05:51:00 PM »

I had such engine here in past with very dirty inlets, there was misfiring then in cold start only. Maybe dirty geometry from inlet caused a bad tumble. And maybe in your case a little lower idle is enough to run in such problem. Anyway they are often leaks at the lever for flaps.

Check the basics as temperature sensor, leaks, lambda adaption. If there is a leak you will sure see high adaption values in block 32.1

Normally cat heating is very rough, e.g. some 1.4tsi sounds really bad, a lot of costumers was complaining about it years ago. In some engine the wastegate is rattling very loud, saw this in 1.0tsi 3-cyl cold start.                 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: