Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Android solution with Nefmoto software?  (Read 31257 times)
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 12:33:30 PM »

Have you checked out the Torque Android app? I played with that for a bit on my Galaxy S and eBay ELM Bluetooth dongle. It only does standard OBD stuff though, nothing VAG specific.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
RaraK

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »

Have you checked out the Torque Android app? I played with that for a bit on my Galaxy S and eBay ELM Bluetooth dongle. It only does standard OBD stuff though, nothing VAG specific.

Yep i was looking at that program, wouldnt be bad if it knew what to do with Pcodes, a database of sorts would be nice, have it read the manufacturer and get legit codes.

I was going to start a java/elm CAN based program just to mess around with(got a MK5 VW) which then easily ports to android.  Just need to find time, half the work is done with the elm interface, which is nice.
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »

I know where the cruise control button values are stored in RAM, and I have a plan on how to implement map switching, which should also allow for real-time tuning.

It's coming, I promise, one day.  Cheesy
I just got wood.

I have a b5 s4
but i just want to dance.
jibberjive

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 05:01:14 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I think a mobile tuning solution would be great, but I'd prefer switching like APR.  That said, you can find an Asus EEE refurb for ~$150 if you shop around.  They are durable and fast enough, but cheap and small enough to keep in the car.  In fact I think the smaller ones  (700/900 series) might even fit in the glovebox.
Yup, I'm keeping a 10" Acer in the car at all times.  Have people figured out how to do the APR cruise control stalk switching yet?

So, I just got this in the mail the other day, and I can't believe how good of a deal I got.  I bought it from someone who bought it new a couple of weeks ago and thought they broke the keyboard when they replaced the ram.  They put in a new 4gb stick that they included with the computer, as well as a spare keyboard, and it took me 20 mins to get the keyboard working and tape it in.  Got this and the ram for like $215 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AO522-BZ465-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Diamond/dp/B004PYD7AC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304676248&sr=8-1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231266
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 06:18:21 AM »

I know where the cruise control button values are stored in RAM, and I have a plan on how to implement map switching, which should also allow for real-time tuning.

It's coming, I promise, one day.  Cheesy

not to be a debbie downer, but be advised APR has some patents here... you may want to consider other "switching" ideas (external button on an unused ME7 input, or repurposed input, like one of the EGTs, etc.)

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
jibberjive

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 06:44:55 AM »

I was always curious if patent infringement also covers an individual use thing, that in no way has monetary implications (like me using whatever APR's patented cruise-control stalk on my own personal vehicle, only for my own use).  Of course, if that were the case, they'd have a tough time hearing about it or whatever, but I'm curious as to the extent of the IP coverage.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 07:18:30 AM »

Generally, Patents and there to prevent other people making money from your ideas. So for personal / hobby use it really isn't worth worrying about.

Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 10:06:53 AM »

I think it would be difficult for those patents to be upheld unless you stole APR's switching code.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »

Generally, Patents and there to prevent other people making money from your ideas. So for personal / hobby use it really isn't worth worrying about.

Patents don't work that way Sad

I think it would be difficult for those patents to be upheld unless you stole APR's switching code.

Patents don't work that way either.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 10:53:01 AM »

I would be very surprised if APR had a patent for switching maps based on cruise control input.

That would imply that no other automobile manufacturer has a patent for changing performance characteristics based on user input....

Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
orienz

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 11:16:38 AM »

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7047128.pdf
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »

Patents don't work that way Sad

Nyet, I know about this. It really isn't work spending time worrying about. What would you get sued for? Why would any company spend time and legal costs perusing an individual and prove they infringed their specific IP? Even medium scale companies wilfully infringe patents because it's so costly to prove they have that most don't bother. In fact, there's a good argument for not patenting ideas these days to keep them out of the public domain for as long as possible.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:52:30 AM by carlossus » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 02:03:31 PM »

I would be very surprised if APR had a patent for switching maps based on cruise control input.

That would imply that no other automobile manufacturer has a patent for changing performance characteristics based on user input....

More than a few tuners (big and small) were on the sharp end of APR's legal dept.....

ECUx Plot

Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »

This patent specifically covers blending a stock map with an aftermarket performance map using an interpolation ratio set by an external device via the ECU communications port. It also covers a specific method for validating if a signature in the EEPROM matches a signature in the Flash and preventing the car from running or forcing the car to run in stock mode.

This patent does not cover switching maps, or switching maps via the cruise control stalk.

Also, if this patent ever made it to court, I am sure you could invalid it using prior art. The interpolation of a two maps based on a user specified blending amount is almost identical to how the ECU interpolates ignition timing based on intake camshaft advance. Also the method for preventing ECU copying and programming the ECU is very close the OEM methods already implemented.

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »

Also, if this patent ever made it to court,

IIRC GIAC did not succeed vs APR and they settled.

And an individual, no matter how in the "right", typically can't win vs a company with an actual legal team Sad

The only way to win is to develop a patent portfolio for defense... perhaps the community here can build one... and/or join OIN etc.

Again, I am not a lawyer, but I have had personal experience in patent lawsuits Smiley

ECUx Plot

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: