Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Limp mode  (Read 5337 times)
cpoulsen78

« on: February 02, 2014, 02:17:19 AM »

Hi
Hope someone can help me out.
Im not near ready to tune myself yet. So i bought my way out of it.
But keep running limpmode, i have vcds and i can see that Theres no knock.
It throws a fault regarding mixture adaption.
I know my tuner pushed it to the limit he got bout 215hp.
Oh the car is Audi A4 B5, 1,8T AEB.
Could it possibly help to increase fuel-pressure by installing a 4,5bar regulator instead of the 4bar.
I believ that EMS can adjust round 10% +- ??
phila_dot

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »

There's your limp mode.

Don't touch fuel pressure, fix the actual problem.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »

Hi
Hope someone can help me out.
Im not near ready to tune myself yet. So i bought my way out of it.
But keep running limpmode, i have vcds and i can see that Theres no knock.
I know my tuner pushed it to the limit he got bout 215hp.
Oh the car is Audi A4 B5, 1,8T AEB.
Could it possibly help to increase fuel-pressure by installing a 4,5bar regulator instead of the 4bar.
I believ that EMS can adjust round 10% +- ??

Have you checked for "Positive Devition"  ( Requested Vs Actual Boost )?? How about Boost Leak?   What codes are you throwing?  I think if there is more than a 200 unit difference between Specified/requested and Actual boost, you go into Soft-Limp Mode until ignition is recycled.   Of course, you should log your CF's ( VCDS block 32 I think ) and check your voltages for running lean ( Kills and engine DEAD!).    With the A4 1.8T, the easiest way around Positive Deviation is a 4.3 vol, 1 watt Zener diode on the MAP between signal and ground. This tells your ECU that you ar not going over 11 psi. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. READ UP ON THIS IN THE FORUMS. PLENTY OF INFO!!   It's called a throttle Cut Defender (TCD)  and I know that ECS used to sell an adjustable TCD unit, but they are so easy to make with a .25 cent diode.
adam-

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »

+1 on Phila.

You're throwing an mixture code.  Why have you got the 4 bar? 

If you're running standard injectors, which I'll put money on that you are, because everyone that is sticks a 4 bar FPR in because "the internet told them to", then that's the reason you're throwing that code.

If you're IDC is over 100%, you need bigger injectors.  Stop trying to fudge the results by moving pressure around.  With the new pressure, I'll put even more money that that's not been accounted for.

Sorry for the rant, but go back to a 3 bar and either run less power (less IDC), or bigger injectors and get them mapped in.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 06:53:32 PM »

+1 on Phila.

You're throwing an mixture code.  Why have you got the 4 bar? 

If you're running standard injectors, which I'll put money on that you are, because everyone that is sticks a 4 bar FPR in because "the internet told them to", then that's the reason you're throwing that code.

If you're IDC is over 100%, you need bigger injectors.  Stop trying to fudge the results by moving pressure around.  With the new pressure, I'll put even more money that that's not been accounted for.

Sorry for the rant, but go back to a 3 bar and either run less power (less IDC), or bigger injectors and get them mapped in.

I agree!   I didn't read his post correctly and jumped to an errant conclusion based on a past experience that I had.  It is so obvious that it's a stock injector issue that he is trying to overcome with higher FP, just doesn't work that way.
I'm sorry for the stupid advice and conclusion. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: