Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How to do a blind read  (Read 12661 times)
ed1380

« on: February 10, 2014, 04:58:03 PM »

Everywhere I've looked everyone talks about flashing and tuning, but I haven't seen what tools are used to read. I know nefmoto can read set memory maps, but my ecu has been flashed by apr and I'd like to have a backup before I mess with it.

Thanks
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »

you can do a blind read with bootmode, but there is no guarantee it will work again if you flash it back, depending on what kind of apr chip it is.

if you are really worried about it, i would get a spare ecu...

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »

You need multiple things.

1. A backup of your eeprom. Might as well do this in bootmode as well, with argdubs tool. Read about it in the "Understanding/retrofitting immobilizer" sticky.
2. A bootmode read with galletto. Get the software, and read about how to use it in the "Galletto software edited with proper English" sticky.

Make sure to read, understand, then do these in the order shown above. Please do not post either of these files on the site, and understand that you should not distribute them or otherwise abuse them.

Welcome, and good luck.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
ed1380

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:30:49 PM »

You need multiple things.

1. A backup of your eeprom. Might as well do this in bootmode as well, with argdubs tool. Read about it in the "Understanding/retrofitting immobilizer" sticky.
2. A bootmode read with galletto. Get the software, and read about how to use it in the "Galletto software edited with proper English" sticky.

Make sure to read, understand, then do these in the order shown above. Please do not post either of these files on the site, and understand that you should not distribute them or otherwise abuse them.

Welcome, and good luck.

#1 is done. Fairly straight forward. Why does arp bother flashing the immo if my car doesn't have it from the factory.

Galletto is a no go for me. My ebay cable is a 232bl with no serial, so I can't program the cable, nor modify galletto to work. I have an official hex-can cable if that opens other options for me.

Quote from: nyet
you can do a blind read with bootmode, but there is no guarantee it will work again if you flash it back, depending on what kind of apr chip it is.

if you are really worried about it, i would get a spare ecu...
I'm not worried, but it's always nice to have a backup. I have a spare ecu that I'm playing with. I've already flashed it with the vlmspec mbox file. Surprisingly no cluster error codes. The apr tune I have is weird. It's a K box with an untouched f800BB, but no map switching via cruise control. VCDS shows an egt code, but there's no CEL for it (egt delete?)

If anyone could point me in the right direction for more information about readiness and CEL codes, it would be greatly appreciated. I've already read the S4 tuning wiki.

Once again thanks for the quick replies and awesome community.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 11:41:26 PM »

Galletto is a no go for me. My ebay cable is a 232bl with no serial, so I can't program the cable, nor modify galletto to work. I have an official hex-can cable if that opens other options for me.

Yes, you can hexedit the galletto to use the hex-can cable. The serial # is probably something like RT000001

It's a K box with an untouched f800BB, but no map switching via cruise control. VCDS shows an egt code, but there's no CEL for it (egt delete?)

If that is the case, a bootmode blind read is likely sufficient backup if you have an eeprom backup to go with it.

If anyone could point me in the right direction for more information about readiness and CEL codes, it would be greatly appreciated. I've already read the S4 tuning wiki.

There are several different threads about this on nef, but I realize the search function can be a bit ... frustrating to use. If you have specific questions, there are a lot of people (ahem, dd) here who are helpful and are likely able to guide you in the right direction.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:49:44 PM »

If you read the final page of the Galletto thread you'll see that the address is included to use it without serial number verification Smiley

As for the eeprom, it's not for the immobilizer, APR locks their files to the eeprom. If you don't have a backup, you can't restore your APR file. It simply will not run Sad

Flashing with nefmoto overwrites parts of the eeprom, so it's important to make a backup before doing anything.

LMK if you need anything else!

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:51:43 PM »

If you read the final page of the Galletto thread you'll see that the address is included to use it without serial number verification Smiley

LOL. I never got that far.

Do you have a patched version of your corrected English exe we can simply put in the first post?

ECUx Plot

ed1380

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:52:35 PM »

As for the eeprom, it's not for the immobilizer, APR locks their files to the eeprom. If you don't have a backup, you can't restore your APR file. It simply will not run Sad

Flashing with nefmoto overwrites parts of the eeprom, so it's important to make a backup before doing anything.

LMK if you need anything else!

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right. The f800 holds all the tables, maps, etc. The eeprom (95040 chip) holds a checkbit, number, something of that nature that the Immo (or in my case APR) verifies before letting the vehicle run. If nefmoto's purpose is to read/write to the F800, why does it write to the eeprom?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:12:01 AM by ed1380 » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 12:44:11 AM »

In order to write via OBD the tool doing the programming must sign the eeprom in order to complete and close out the flashing process. That tool must leave a 6 digit identifier near the bottom of the page. Your APR eeprom will be signed "NEFMTO", which CAN render it inoperable.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
ddillenger

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 12:45:07 AM »

Also, I have updated the Galletto thread accordingly.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »

Also, I have updated the Galletto thread accordingly.

Smiley

I just patched mine and threw out the 4 other copies of the .exe i had.

ECUx Plot

ed1380

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »

No more pesky wire to deal with

http://imgur.com/9RGuYMl.jpg

Still having a problem with reading in boot mode.

ebay cable + nefmoto- works
ebay cable + nefmoto + bootmode- crashes(proves that it can connect to boot mode ecu)
ebay cable + galletto(patched, admin, compat mode ) + bootmode - boot mode inactive

Hex-can(smart mode) + nefmoto- can't connect (to be expected)
Hex-can(dumb mode) + nefmoto- works
Hex-can(dumb mode) + nefmoto + bootmode- can't connnect
Hex-can(dumb mode) + galletto(patched, admin, compat mode ) + bootmode - boot mode inactive

I've deleted all drivers and re-installed. Going to have to dust off the old laptop with xp and give it another go. I can understand galletto refusing to work due to win7, drivers, etc. But the hex-can cable not getting a reaction from nefmoto while in boot mode is giving me high doubts about it working in galletto.

I cracked open the cables and there's a ft232bl in the ebay cable and a ft232rq in the hex-can. On FTD's website they have VCP and D2XX drivers on seperate pages, but the downloadable is the same???
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:31:59 PM by ed1380 » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »

"boot mode inactive" is a good sign. It means your cable and galletto are working; you just failed to put the ECU in bootmode Smiley

ECUx Plot

jogtx16v

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 03:46:27 PM »

I see  in your picture you have resistor or other thing under heat shrink tubing ?

What is the ohms value of that ?

I never use resistor on ME7.x and boot mode great all time.
ddillenger

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »

What year is your ecu? What care are we talking about?

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: