Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 1.4TSI Lots of Smoke Intermittently  (Read 32449 times)
tjwasiak

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 10:23:27 PM »

First of all 1.4 TSI is known to be failing really fast. It is a cost of downsizing IMHO.

For me it is quite normal compression test gave you normal reading as adding oil into cylinder will help to seal it during the test!
n0ble

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 01:19:58 AM »

First of all 1.4 TSI is known to be failing really fast. It is a cost of downsizing IMHO.

For me it is quite normal compression test gave you normal reading as adding oil into cylinder will help to seal it during the test!
Very good point, now I am replacing the weak parts. Turbo and pistons... I'm hoping it'll be decent and work ok.

I know that the revised CTHE engine does not have these issues.
majorahole

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 07:42:09 PM »

sorry to bring this back up, but I'm having a similar issue with my 2.0tfsi BPY, although not a bunch of smoke, but enough to look bad!
so did the new pistons do the trick??
n0ble

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 08:54:17 PM »

Yes new pistons and refurbished turbo did the trick! Both were at fault.
blower

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 02:48:06 AM »

Just to update this thread for anyone who landed here like me:

I am certain the issue this guy was having was down to his turbo oil seal. The blow by of his pistons was not really an issue and was not the cause of the smokey exhaust.

The turbo fitted on these engines internally run a high oil pressure - out of spec for the turbo manufacturer on a stock car, let alone a remapped one.
By doing a full turbo back exhaust, the oil seal pressures are no longer balanced and the net result is usually leaking oil straight into the hot exhaust - this is why you didn't see much oil in the intake tract / intercooler.

Its a thing to bear in mind with the 1.4 TSI engines/turbo - reducing exhaust back pressure will usually result in a smokey exhaust due to oil seepage past the turbos oil seal.
The solution is to change the oil restrictor bolt to the turbo, reducing internal oil pressure around the turbo seals.
n0ble

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2016, 04:41:18 AM »

Hi,
It later turned out to be multiple issues and yes the fact that the turbo does not have a stepped seal, not mounted level and the reduction in pressure does cause it to leak. But after closer inspection cylinder 3 had damaged piston ring, so this also did not help.
n0ble

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2016, 04:48:01 AM »

Fitting a stepped oil seal to the turbo does stop oil from leaking from the turbo. But you'll find this engine has multiple weak points for oil, NOT just the turbo.
Keep in mind that many of these engines have failed on stock hardware and setup, mostly with lost compression in cylinders and melted plugs. Which yes the later software can prevent the melted plugs, but does not prevent the fact that the rings /pistons can fail on stock setup.

Lots and lots of design flaws with this engine, hence why they do not produce it anymore. Very short lived setup for VAG.
n0ble

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 07:10:58 AM »

Another update - car started bellowing blue smoke on vacuum again. Used a boroscope and found that the valve guide on cylinder 1 exhaust valve was leaking oil. So engine has been stripped,  new valve guides fitted on the exhaust side and all put back together again. No smoke so far.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
blower

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2016, 07:00:09 PM »

Damn that engine has given you some trouble!

Was it the valve guide or valve seals? - I only ask as i'm in the middle of rebuilding my engine, no problems prior other than a slightly rough idle on times but did find horrendously coked up intake and some minor/moderate pitting the valve seats which I lapped out.

I'm fitting forged pistons along with doing some other needed work - new camshaft adjuster that doesn't stick, new chain kit, new supercharger clutch etc.

I fitted all new valve seals whilst the head was off and I was lapping in valves. Didn't notice appreciable valve guide wear, and wouldn't know how to replace them without sending to a machine shop and then sourcing the guides for this engine would be interesting (VW don't sell them separately)
n0ble

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2016, 09:21:57 AM »

Hey, it was the valve guide, Yes I had to send the head off to have them machined. Replaced all exhaust valve guides, you may also want to consider fitting strong valve springs too as you get valve float at higher boosts and high RPM.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
vasco fernandes

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2017, 01:09:38 PM »

Hey, it was the valve guide, Yes I had to send the head off to have them machined. Replaced all exhaust valve guides, you may also want to consider fitting strong valve springs too as you get valve float at higher boosts and high RPM.

I have the same problem in my CAVD. Misfire with 1.1bar after 6000rpm, but only cilinder 2

I changed plug, coil, and injector.. same problem
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:11:36 PM by vasco fernandes » Logged
majorahole

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2018, 07:13:46 AM »

BTW, mine ended up being from oil in the intercooler. Installed a front mount and never had the issue again. I suspect from when my catch can line froze and crankcase pressures increased
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: