Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Xylene as Octane boost??  (Read 20980 times)
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 07:13:08 PM »

Ok, so I mixed up a batch of 60/40 ( 6 gallons of 91 oct gas to 4 gallons of Toluene ), gas tank was nearly empty, maybe 1.5 gallons of 91 oct in tank. I have W/M variable-progressive injection.   I made sure that I mixed it and shook it well, this being my first time.

Anyway, I switched over to my GIAC "RACE 100 Oct" mode and set out to do a few log runs.

On my very first run, I could tell the engine was idling smoother than ever and as I started in first, it pulled hard, almost too hard.  So when I got to 3rd gear and at 4400 rpm, the car just suddenly lurched and I had ZERO throttle response, so I coasted to the side of the road.  The car was idling like crap, up and down between 800 and 1100 rpm, and absolutely ZERO throttle response.  I did a quick under the hood check and TTB, intercooler hoses, DV's and hoses, inlet tubes, etc... all were fine.   So I did a Fault Code check and there it was, a P1335, Torque Monitor 2 limit exceeded, 35-10 intermittent.. I cleared the code and restarted the engine and it ran fine from there, although my log runs for the day were done.
This is on my 2001, Allroad, 2.7T, 6 spd, K04's and 51/49 W/M dual nozzle injection.   There was no knocking/pinging and the highest timing correction was a 2.3 at about 4300 rpm, right before the P1335 happened.

Has anyone any idea what could be the problem?    Could it be a problem with the GIAC ECU flash?? Maybe they made an error in maximum torque at a given point??

Anyway, until I hear from one of the smart guys here, "DDillenger",  "Snowtrooper", "Nyet", etc..., I'm not going to try that again. It cared the hell out of me....thought i blew a turbo, or worse.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »

yea. torque monitoring is a bitch Sad

went into limp, possibly even alpha-n mode.

sorry man, need a retune...

in any case, don't worry, you didn't break anything Smiley

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Snow Trooper

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 10:49:50 PM »

Yeah, it can be scary when that happens and it isn't expected or experienced.  Your torque maps are not meshing.

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »

yea. torque monitoring is a bitch Sad

went into limp, possibly even alpha-n mode.

sorry man, need a retune...

in any case, don't worry, you didn't break anything Smiley

Thank you, Nyet!   I have a question: When you say that I need a "retune", does that mean that the tune has become corrupt, or is it simply unsuitable for for my car???     (This never happened when I used the "RACE 100" mode with 100 Oct. Pump gas from 76 gas station)
I hope that question doesn't make me sound stupid!   

Thank you!!
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 11:52:34 PM »

Yeah, it can be scary when that happens and it isn't expected or experienced.  Your torque maps are not meshing.

Thanks, Snow Trooper, I'm wondering if it's possible that the "Race" 100 oct. mode maybe brought out an underlying problem with my throttle body???
It's curious to me that I never experienced this problem when I used the Pump 100 octane fuel.     I'm really very ignorant when it comes to the terms, but what exactly is "Alpha-N Mode"??

Oh, and HELL YAH, it scared the hell out of me. I had an instant vision of a few thousand dollars falling from my wallet. Sad
Snow Trooper

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 10:21:48 AM »

If this is a file you created, post it up.

cartoons?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »

Its a GIAC file.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 05:23:42 PM »

If this is a file you created, post it up.

Snow Trooper, This time I swapped ECU's into the Allroad and this time ran a "Jude based 91 oct. stg 1 "M" box tune, w/ Bosch MAF ( yes, it's a long story, but I run a Bosch MAF in my '01 Allroad ).   The tune is attached to this posting.

Anyway, I added 7 gallons of 91 fuel, which brought my octane down to about 92 and the almost identical thing happened, but this time in 2nd gear at about 4400 RPM, same thing, huge lurch, complete lack of throttle response, idle crazy from 800-1100 RPM's and the same code P1335  Torque monitor 2 maximum torque limit exceded 35 ; 10 intermittent.  (Note, I had no timing corrections at all, if that matters)

If you would, take a look at the tune and see if you see anything whacky to do with Torque monitoring.  It's a long story, but my GIAC file would not cooperate when I tried to save the bin using Nefmoto flasher, kept erroring out.

****I'm beginning to think that my throttle body is going???******     any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thank you, Gentlemen!
phila_dot

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 05:36:18 PM »

Level 2 Torque Monitoring

If the threshold is raised for level 1 intervention instead of tuning torque management, then level 1 doesn't intervene so it hits level 2 and you get hard limp.

It isn't tuned properly allowing it to trigger, but you can also have issues that actually cause it to trigger like a high reading MAF.

It's max allowable torque for a given pedal position vs torque at max specified load and calculated actual torque.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 06:02:04 PM »

Level 2 Torque Monitoring

If the threshold is raised for level 1 intervention instead of tuning torque management, then level 1 doesn't intervene so it hits level 2 and you get hard limp.

It isn't tuned properly allowing it to trigger, but you can also have issues that actually cause it to trigger like a high reading MAF.

It's max allowable torque for a given pedal position vs torque at max specified load and calculated actual torque.

Thank you for replying, Phila Dot!  ( are you by any chance from Philly??  That's my home town/city )

I am really starting to believe that I have an engine management hardware issue, such as you mentioned, MAF, or TB.  I'm going to try one more tune that I have for the car, swapping it back to Hitachi MAF and see if it happens again. If not, then it's the Bosch MAF. ??I THINK!?? Undecided
Snow Trooper

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »

I am not surprised that you are having TQ management issues on a jude tune.

I just looked at it and that file is a mess, it has TQ management half ass turned off, way too lean for 91 at boost ramp, stock kfmiop with an enlarged kfmirl so there is your issue right there.  There is so much random stuff changed that seem to be done just because and then essential things not changed.  Gimme a few minutes and will at least get you running better so you can get some logs and start making progress.

Edit: here is the file with TQ management fully disabled, this should really only be done for testing.  I also slightly modified a few more maps.  This should work a lot better for you.  Please get us some logs.  I also really think you should start with another file.  This one is nutty.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:51:58 PM by Snow Trooper » Logged

cartoons?
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 07:20:31 PM »

I am not surprised that you are having TQ management issues on a jude tune.

I just looked at it and that file is a mess, it has TQ management half ass turned off, way too lean for 91 at boost ramp, stock kfmiop with an enlarged kfmirl so there is your issue right there.  There is so much random stuff changed that seem to be done just because and then essential things not changed.  Gimme a few minutes and will at least get you running better so you can get some logs and start making progress.

Edit: here is the file with TQ management fully disabled, this should really only be done for testing.  I also slightly modified a few more maps.  This should work a lot better for you.  Please get us some logs.  I also really think you should start with another file.  This one is nutty.

Thank you, Snow Trooper, for the work you just did and the advice you gave, which I will follow.   Remind me to tell you where I got the GIAC ECU W/ 100 oct "RACE" from, Hmmm....maybe you've already guessed! Wink   
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: