Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another Lean Boost problem  (Read 10914 times)
TCSTigersClaw

« on: April 11, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »

Hi guys. I have a Lean Boost problem the last couple of days.It common I know , but I can`t figure this out.
I have attached some loggs (only with VCDS I am afraid I can`t log with ME7logger right now due to hardware issues) .

Requested λ is where I want it to be , actual some times is so lean that I couldn`t do correct loggs.
The car is boosting @1.6 bar requested λ is about 0.8x ,actual some times is more than 1 .When boosting less actual λ can follow to a degree.

Seems like fuel pump/FPR or injectors I thought...well.. no .Fuel pump is great,injectors too ,fuel lines ok , FPR ok too.

Checked for leaks, vacuum lines ,boost lines. Nothing. EVAP (N80) does some weird clickings last few days,thats it.

Fuel trims are on the spot ,both (-0.5 and -1.5) .MAF reads fine ( I did some loggings without it just in case) .I thought about Lambda sensor failure , but at low boosts it follows better ,at Idle it is ok. EGT`S (welll calculated no sensor in this GOLF IV) , seems ok for such a lean condition but I don`t push the car ofcourse.

The weird thing is that Injector Duty Cyce (at low boosts can be seen better) is not at 100% ,injector`s may be working at 70% and still my actual is far from requested..

The owner recently changed DP and moved the CAT way back added a 4 bar FPR and I updated (little more boost and 4bar fuel correction ofcourse), Lambda sensor is in the right place.Car was fine when I left it (before DP and 4bar FPR) .

At the "weird Lambda" log I can see massive Bank 1 Lambda contril correction (but it is Mafless) and some weird requested Lambda at low Rpms ..It is Mafless

any , ANY  thoughts would be useful  wish I had better loggs .thank you Wink

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:51:36 AM by nyet » Logged

VAG cars newbie tuner Smiley
userpike

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:59:38 AM »

exhaust leak before b1s1 sensor is my first guess.
TCSTigersClaw

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 08:34:31 AM »

Thats what I thought also , but there seems to be no leak at all..

I am thinking software-wise if I miss something but requested is what exactly where I want it ,if the actual can`t follow ,means hardware problem.

I will run some more tests Monday with a new Fuel Pump just in case ,hope I will have Me7Logger loggs  Smiley

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »

Please don't post logs in excel format, its worthless.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
TCSTigersClaw

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 12:43:15 AM »

Would it help more if I convert them to .csv ?

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 12:46:46 AM »

Would it help more if I convert them to .csv ?

No, you should post the original .csvs so that programs like ECUxPlot can be used to view them.

The excel format is an unparsable mess of bullshit, and its .csv export is often even worse.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
TCSTigersClaw

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 03:12:42 AM »

you are right , the logs are very small because the car is so lean @1.5 bar boost λ sometimes is above 1 :/  ,that I couldnt do correct loggs.
I will try tommorow after  checking everything ,hardware-wise.

coreyj03

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »

maybe go back to a maf sensor? lol i know im not much help.
TCSTigersClaw

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 11:11:07 PM »

Dont worrt Corey Smiley MAF was one of the first things I logged/checked.

It turnes out to be a bad fuel line.There was no leak but during high fuel pressure bended so much that wouldn`t allow more fuel to go to the fuel rail and injectors.

When I tested the Flow and pressure under load of the Fuel Pump for some reason the fuel line worked flawlessly and I had to look elsewhere too ,thats why I posted.

The car now has correct fueling. Thank you all for your help

userpike

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »

can you post a pic of what you are talking about?
TCSTigersClaw

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 12:14:57 AM »

I am talking about the fuel line before the fuel filter. It is not uncommon for a bad fuel line but the weird (and funny) thing is that only during high pressure ( I also had 4fpr installed) it really made the fuel line squeezed .  Smiley

tegman88

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 05:32:54 AM »

How did you test that exactly? I ask because I'm having some lean issues myself. I set a lean code here and there before I upgraded my fuel pump but since I installed a 400lph my fuel trims are ridiculous within 10 minutes of cruising.
Now I'm wondering if I didn't kink something unknowingly.
Just visual inspection?
TCSTigersClaw

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 03:47:12 AM »

How did you test that exactly? I ask because I'm having some lean issues myself. I set a lean code here and there before I upgraded my fuel pump but since I installed a 400lph my fuel trims are ridiculous within 10 minutes of cruising.
Now I'm wondering if I didn't kink something unknowingly.
Just visual inspection?

Yes visual inspection on a dyno , it only occured under heavy loads. No other way to see it with the car stationed ,measuring the pump didn`t show anything , everything seemed normal. It was a weird situation .I don`t think that is your problem though , what ridiculus fuel trims do you get ?

tegman88

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »

My multiplicative fuel trims have been sitting around 18-24 percent. I've pressure tested countless times and can't find a leak anywhere, I've replaced the MAF, I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator, injectors are brand new... I'm out of ideas.

I ordered the necessary hardware to log fuel pressure with my PPD so hopefully that will reveal something.
I was convinced the issue was with the basemap and decided to make my own base file. I used the Stage 3 base posted on here, adapted to my setup. Apparently I didn't do a very good job of adapting it (my first attempt) because it ran weird but it was fine cruising. So, I cruised to ten minutes, checked fuel trims and more of the same. So, now I'm back to the basemap from my tuner.

What's weird is, right now my mult fuel trims are around 20 percent (additive is within 4 percent) yet I have no engine light or limp mode. I had been getting limp mode almost immediately after resetting fuel trims. This started maybe a month after I started driving my car again, so I'm thinking that I'll be back to that soon and that this problem has been present since I got my car back on the road; it just hadn't grabbed my attention with a CEL or limp mode for awhile. idk why...

If I unplug my MAF my fuel trims don't go crazy but it still takes a long time for me to go rich at WOT. The car holds stoich until 5krpm and then steadily drops to 11:1 by redline, with or without the MAF.

I found a shop about an hour from where I live that only works on European cars and they do everything from maintenance to builds I could only dream of. As much as I hate to admit defeat, I might take the car to them if my fuel pressure logs don't reveal anything.
Hopefully we'll get another tank for the smoke machine at work this week as so far I've only pressure tested and listened for leaks.
4ringpieces

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 05:50:21 AM »

Tcs, I've got a car doing exactly this.
Same story
Brand new fuel pump and filter.

Under 1.4bar boost the car runs lean over 1.03 lambda and 24ms injection time

Unplug n75 to run 0.4bar boost and lambda follows requested perfectly

Where about's does this pipe squash?
Is it easy to see with the fuel tank in place?
I might run a fuel pressure gauge in the engine bay and watch for a drop off in pressure if it cannot be seen easy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: