Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Vag K+ Commander v2.5 help with Hex-Can cable  (Read 24215 times)
Calde315

« on: April 16, 2014, 06:36:32 AM »

Guys,

I'm new and tried searching on here, but ended up having to get an account. Even after adding an account, I can find what I'm looking for. I see people have no issues with Commander (specifically v2.5) getting their genuine VCDS Hex-Can cables to work. I on the other hand am having troubles. I downloaded the VCP drivers from Ross-Tech's site installed them and assigned it to COM port 3. I had to uninstall the cable actually before because when trying to update drivers, it said the drivers were already up to date. I uninstalled and then installed the VCP drivers first.

I open Vag Commander, select COM port 3, switch to K-line, click on the ECU module, change my ECU to what I think it is and click "read eeprom". It gives an error and then the program doesn't respond and I have to close it.

How have the people that have successfully used their VCDS cables get this software to work? I'm trying to retrieve the SKC off my 2005 Audi a4.

Any help appreciated.
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:28:33 AM »

Have you unchecked "boot in intelligent mode" in the VCDS options menu?

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Calde315

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:57:13 AM »

Have you unchecked "boot in intelligent mode" in the VCDS options menu?

Sorry, yes I did. I opened up VCDS went to options, unchecked "Boot in intelligence mode" saved, exited, opened back up again to confirm and then exited again.
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »

Are you selecting K-line under communications options in the box on the bottom right?

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Calde315

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »

Are you selecting K-line under communications options in the box on the bottom right?

Yep. K Line. When I click the Read EEPROM in the Engine Control Unit, it said communication failted or something like that. I specifically remember failed being spelled wrong.
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:28 AM »

If you want to send me your teamviewer ID and password (google it) I will connect and give you some assistance.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Calde315

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 01:36:18 PM »

If you want to send me your teamviewer ID and password (google it) I will connect and give you some assistance.

Ok I can do that. Quick question. What is the car status supposed to be when trying to run this program? Key on, car started, no power? Also, can I do TeamViewer and such without being connected with the cable to the car?
ddillenger

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »

Key on. Connected to car, connected to internet.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Calde315

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »

Key on. Connected to car, connected to internet.

Thanks to ddillenger for attempting to make it work last night. For some reason we still couldn't get a genuine VCDS HEX-CAN cable to work with Vag Commander or another program ddillenger had. Any one have these problems? When I try to read EEPROM in ECU the it gives me the error "open port failted" after clicking ok on the autodetect eeprom memory.
Calde315

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 05:08:30 PM »

I got it to work by switching computers. I should also mention I downloaded Vag commander that was given to me by a person on another forum. Tough to say which one did it. Will close the loop, by deleting the vag commander on personal computer and installing the same one that I installed from the forum member. Hopefully it was an issue tied to that, though doubtful
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 07:34:07 PM »

Guys,

I'm new and tried searching on here, but ended up having to get an account. Even after adding an account, I can find what I'm looking for. I see people have no issues with Commander (specifically v2.5) getting their genuine VCDS Hex-Can cables to work. I on the other hand am having troubles. I downloaded the VCP drivers from Ross-Tech's site installed them and assigned it to COM port 3. I had to uninstall the cable actually before because when trying to update drivers, it said the drivers were already up to date. I uninstalled and then installed the VCP drivers first.

I open Vag Commander, select COM port 3, switch to K-line, click on the ECU module, change my ECU to what I think it is and click "read eeprom". It gives an error and then the program doesn't respond and I have to close it.

How have the people that have successfully used their VCDS cables get this software to work? I'm trying to retrieve the SKC off my 2005 Audi a4.

Any help appreciated.

Seriously, I have had a lot of success with Commander 2.5and I use the cheap Vag-commander 2.5 cable that I got off of Ebay for $13 shipped. Even came with the driver which works perfectly.
That said, I think you can use the standard Vag-com (dumb dongle) and the correct driver which should come with the 2.5 software.

BTW, have you tried the 3.6 version?  That works well for me, also!
Calde315

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 06:05:34 AM »

Seriously, I have had a lot of success with Commander 2.5and I use the cheap Vag-commander 2.5 cable that I got off of Ebay for $13 shipped. Even came with the driver which works perfectly.
That said, I think you can use the standard Vag-com (dumb dongle) and the correct driver which should come with the 2.5 software.

BTW, have you tried the 3.6 version?  That works well for me, also!

I had the Hex-Can cable already and didn't really want to buy another one only for this program. I heard it should work in dumb mode and had to go through some troubleshooting with ddillenger via Teamview but all worked out after installing on a different computer. Was looking for the SKC of my car to program a key. Really the only thing I needed it for at the moment. 2.5 worked fine for me.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »

I had the Hex-Can cable already and didn't really want to buy another one only for this program. I heard it should work in dumb mode and had to go through some troubleshooting with ddillenger via Teamview but all worked out after installing on a different computer. Was looking for the SKC of my car to program a key. Really the only thing I needed it for at the moment. 2.5 worked fine for me.

Perfect ending, glad to hear it!  DDillinger is really a good guy, helps everyone. He is what this site is all about.   Glad you got your SKC. FWIW, I got my SKC on the Allroad using same method.   Not bad for a$13 dollar investment.
fR3ZNO

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 07:29:57 AM »

I am in a similar predicament currently. I have been trying to install Vag Commander on my XP Laptop, going to try it on my 7 laptop.

I also have a HEX CAN cable, but it should be fine since it is a FTDI cable, correct?

OP, did you install VC 2.5 on XP or 7?

I guess I will also need to download the VCP drivers, because I was trying to use it with the original Ross Tech drivers with intelligent mode turned off.

So all I should need to do is, install the VCP drivers manually, turn off intelligent mode, turn on K-line comms, and just open VC 2.5 from the folder I downloaded? There is no installation process for the Vag Commander application?

Amazing how much of a PITA it is just to get a PIN/SKC so I can program this key on my B5.5 Passat... only if it was as easy as my B5 A4. haha.
hamma

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 11:41:22 AM »

Hello guys,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post.
i was struggling getting VAG Commander to work with HEX+CAN ross tech cable with no success.
My cable is a HEX+CAN clone from china with FTDI232R chipset. It was working just perfectly with VCDS and with the correct driver from Ross Tech as well. It shows as Ross Tech USB interface in the hardware manager
I tried all exposed solutions and suggestions :
try VCP driver, set the kwp to my vcp port, set dumb mode in vcds but no way to get it to work.
I used WIN7 64bit and 32bit, win XP 32bit on a virtual machine but still no success.

i see that Calde315 managed to get over the problem. I would love to know what was the solution.

any idea?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: