Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can a tune cause no throttle  (Read 8333 times)
65vetteC6

« on: May 01, 2014, 08:16:02 AM »

I swapped a 2.7t into a B6 S4 and did a single turbo conversion at the same time. Im not positive what year the motor came out of but I think 2000 since it was wired for a Bosch MAF. I am using 034 MAF so I have to rewire it any way.  I picked up a M box ecu from ebay to flash the box with software I got from a tuner since I have larger injectors. Car starts but dies pretty quickly so I currently have the MAF unplugged but have no throttle. I am positive the TB is functioning, could the ecu be bad? Or could the tune be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Guess I should add some of the codes that poped up too,

17952 - Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187)
            P1544 - 35-00 - Signal too Large
17581 - Angle Sensor 2 for Throttle Actuator (G188) Signal too High
            P1173 - 35-00 -
17977 - Cruise Control Switch (E45)
            P1569 - 35-00 - Implausible Signal
16622 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31)
            P0238 - 35-10 - Signal too High - Intermittent
17953 - Throttle Valve Controller
            P1545 - 35-10 - Malfunction - Intermittent
18057 - Powertrain Data Bus
            P1649 - 35-10 - Missing Message from ABS Controller - Intermittent
18058 - Powertrain Data Bus
            P1650 - 35-10 - Missing Message from Instrument Cluster - Intermittent
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:20:03 AM by 65vetteC6 » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:57:52 AM »

Time to check measuring blocks to verify the TPS on the pedal are working.

If they are not, open the ecu and take a high res photo of the board. Chances are the trace for the TB is shot and will look overheated.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
zillarob

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 06:52:01 PM »

When I was doing this swap, I remember 2 different pinouts for the tbody or pedal wires in the daigrams.
Cant remember how I figured out which one to use, but it worked.
Might want to double check you used the right one.

I havent hooked up the cruise yet, but never got that code.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:55:27 PM by zillarob » Logged
65vetteC6

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 07:05:37 PM »

Time to check measuring blocks to verify the TPS on the pedal are working.

If they are not, open the ecu and take a high res photo of the board. Chances are the trace for the TB is shot and will look overheated.

Block 60 correct? The are both show the position changing when I step on the throttle in a stock ecu. When I switch in the tuned one they both show 100% and will not change and there is an error in throttle adpation column and the 3rd column said 1.

What is the general location that I should take a picture of?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:07:13 PM by 65vetteC6 » Logged
65vetteC6

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 07:06:43 PM »

When I was doing this swap, I remember 2 different pinouts for the tbody or pedal wires in the daigrams.
Cant remember how I figured out which one to use, but it worked.
Might want to double check you used the right one.

I havent hooked up the cruise yet, but never got that code.

The cruise control code should be gone now. I can hear and see the throttle body move when the car is in accessory mode with the stock ecu so I know my wiring is correct.
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 07:12:46 PM »

The bottom of the board Smiley

If you see one trace with the paint burnt off, that'd be your issue. Take a good photo for me.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
65vetteC6

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 04:45:50 AM »

The one in the middle looks like half the paint wore off, is that what you are refering too?

ddillenger

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 07:08:17 AM »

I don't really see anything out of the ordinary, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Do you have a spare ecu to try? The fact that your old one causes the TB to cycle and the new one not leads me to conclude you have a hardware problem, not wiring. If you want to send me the ecu I can swap out the driver board and trace the circuit, or you can get another ecu (I have a few if necessary). Shoot me an email (it's in my sig).

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
65vetteC6

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »

I don't really see anything out of the ordinary, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Do you have a spare ecu to try? The fact that your old one causes the TB to cycle and the new one not leads me to conclude you have a hardware problem, not wiring. If you want to send me the ecu I can swap out the driver board and trace the circuit, or you can get another ecu (I have a few if necessary). Shoot me an email (it's in my sig).

Just got a loaner from a friend last night so I will tune it and give it a try tonight.
zillarob

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 10:22:34 PM »

Can def be tough to diag with so many changes, hope the new one makes it happen!

OT daz, but while we wait, the lower of the 2 larger chips on the upper right of this pic:

B1S1 heater ground, ecu pin 63. I see continuity on the 3rd and 4th pins from the right on the upper row. Is this chip capable of sinking heater current and monitoring the circuit? Have a persistent heater code that wont go away, even when swapping connectors (in another car).
ddillenger

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 10:43:59 PM »

From what I recall, that should be a 30344. I forget which does which, but one is N75/injectors. I have to find my notes.

Which code do you have?

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
ddillenger

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 10:56:09 PM »

Also, the one BELOW the middle one on the right is for the TB/TPS electronics.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
zillarob

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 11:33:11 PM »

Its a dif ecu, I was just poking at an s4 one because I had it handy.

I was expecting to find some kind of fet that switched ground to the heater, but only those two legs on the mp had continuity.
Seems like a lot for that thing to sink. Ill have pull the other one out and see if I can let the rest of the smoke out of it!

Cant remember exactly, but think it was a heater circuit code. It stayed on the same bank even after swapping the sensor plugs. Other side was good, and stayed good after being swapped.
65vetteC6

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 06:41:08 AM »

Well the loaner ecu worked fine, must have been an issue with the ecu.
ddillenger

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 07:12:18 AM »

Rob, you might have a bad MOSFET. Start there.

vette, glad to hear!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: