Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Author Topic: 1981 VW T3 1.8turbo build  (Read 243314 times)
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »

Did the crank dowel mod and installed the timing belt.
Also modified the alternator bracket (AC/PS delete) and measured for belt length. I am missing some bolts, those are on order at VW now and will be picked up later this week. Just about everything is done on the motor, so its time for me to go shopping for pipes and flanges  Smiley
Today I ordered an external oil cooler (with thermostat) too, because things tend to get hot in the back of my bus. Just another precaution for durability  Smiley

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2018, 02:48:13 AM »

A quick update here, I am in the progress of fitting the new motor.
I will get into the details later, but here are the key ingredients:
Custom twin scroll manifold is almost done, needs final welding on the motor flange side and overall planing of the flanges. I am working on the wastegates right now.
I installed the motor on a new support bar and connected everything. It started for the first time today and everything seems good.
I use a genuine RS4 maf with this setup and a 89mm K&N filter. We'll see how much issues this will cause later, maybe I need to fabricate some small airstack as I cant put more pipe in between filter and maf.. thats all for later concern, now I am focussing on the wategates and downpipe :-)

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »

The first couple of km's have been succesfull, after fixing some oil leaks on the external cooler and replacing my brand new thermostat (it didnt open  Shocked). maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but it looks like the turbo spools at around 3200rpm! I havent given it full throttle yet, I am just driving it around a bit to run in the pistonrings. I loaded a base map for now, so I dont need to worry about limp mode on the next drive. Fuel trims with the new maf are fine so far!
I finished the routing of my new exhaust, still no wastegate dumps in it but I'll get to that. First I want to finish all welding on the exhaust so far but I ran out of argon. Below is a picture of how it currently looks, it is a full 3" pipe with an absorption muffler, this goes into a valve and out of the right tip. Before the valve there is a 2.5" that tees off into my old magnaflow muffler wich I converted to single in-single out (I deleted the original 3"inlet, so it now has to pass through 2.5" pipe only). Both pipes exit in a 4" tip  Smiley I am very curious about how it will sound, and I hope to have enough silencer for cruising now. I tested the valve tonight but it doesnt silence much yet... But that is because the exhaust between the downpipe and valve is only tacked together  Wink
Here is also a small video of the first drive (only downpipe installed). Note cheering 1-year-old son in the back seat on the first clip  Grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVo-5SYjOYA

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:23:15 PM by TijnCU » Logged

aef

« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2018, 05:18:16 AM »

i love this project!

i dont think that tigwelding a tacked exhaust with all the soot and grime will be fun
Beaviz

« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2018, 07:11:34 AM »

I agree with the rest of the crowd! This project is awesome! Wink

Keep up the good work!
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2018, 12:11:59 AM »

Welding the tacked and grimed exhaust (with partial reused stainless pipes from the old exhaust) was a challenge indeed, and not too pretty. But I got it glued together eventually without it leaking. Good cleaning before welding helps a lot.
Well so I did a couple of runs, used it to daily to my job and done near 1000km on the engine now. There was nothing alarming when I removed the run-in oil, no metallic stuff. I did have some issues already, one leaking gas filter  Shocked (it touched some clamp and slowly grinded its way through, not linked to this new motor install though) and a faulty n75!
Yesterday I was logging to set up KFURL (load is following perfect but req boost is off) and I had throttle cut at 5000 rpm. I just drove it home in limp and found out that the turbo had its first big boy boost... I maxed out the 3 bar map, so well over 30psi  Tongue One of the gates had a small leak, a screw came loose on the diaphragm "hat" and was bouncing around inside, no damage though. But after fixing this (LOCTITE EVERYWHERE) and boost testing the system, the gates still wouldnt open! I found the N75 leaking into the TIP real bad, if I blocked it with my finger the gates would open right away. Time for a new n75... I put a straight connector between the lines for now, curious how boost responds now. Before it failed I would have around 1.1 bar boost at 4000rpm, creeping to 1.3. Airflow is 276g/s at 5800rpm, so she flows alright  Smiley
I still have LPG injector left, its running a little rich up top. I am confident I can make it to 350hp without any problems with the current setup so perfect for low boost. I am running the k03 timing map still, with zero pull. I hope to feed in a bit more timing under load today with the emulator, if the boost control is functioning properly...

Here is a small video that I made when I finished the exhaust to show the valve sound difference!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0LA0w_Dkco

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »

Allrighty, small update.
Engine is still running ok, having issues with intake temps. I am around 10-15 degrees above ambient on a cruise, and saw a massive temperature increase under load. I think the radiator is not up to the task, so after I try some more ducting I might need to change over to a bigger (or better) radiator.
I have done a little dyno testing some time ago, but performance is hindered by the intake temps. It did 274HP at 7200rpm, intake temps at the start of the run around 40 degrees C and ending around 80! After the testing we figured it may have been caused by my screamers, they are under the intake and there is not much airflow at the rear of the van with the dyno fan pointed at the radiators in the front  Shocked Turbo spools right at 3600 rpm and max torque of 290NM was reached at 4100rpm. I had to stop the testing because of a failed coil, in the final power run it misfired at 5300rpm and coil died the next run. A little disappointing power figures, but this was still with crappy afr and no changes to timing. Before the dyno test I put in softer wastegate springs, but unfortunately I could not make over 1.4 bar boost at 80% dc, so as soon as I got home I re-installed the 1.2 bar springs. I havent turned up the boost yet, I need to get intake temps under control as I would expect close to ambient on cruise. I routed both wastegates into the downpipe today, so dyno testing should be better next time. Still it makes for a really fun drive to work and it is already plenty fast for a brick-shaped 1980's campervan  Grin will follow up!

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2019, 12:00:53 PM »

The bus has been inside the garage for most of the year due to a much needed body resto.  Embarrassed
I have been way too busy with work to do any serious tuning or reading even on Nefmoto for that matter, but I intend to get back on it soon. I have found my last log from back in februari, after this I made a coolant tank for the AWIC system and optimized the pump flow. Havent been able to test the performance after this, but it should be a bit better.
Currently I am doing bodywork, but I have also refitted the entire front suspension with powerflex bushings, fitted a Cayenne Turbo brake setup all around and modified the hubs to suit 5x130pcd. I have a GTX3076r gen II on order to see if this causes a mayor difference in spool. For me, the engine has been spooling so good (early) that I would not even mind to see a bit slower spool and be able to keep better efficiency up top. To clarify, in the log you will see 1.3 bar at 4000rpm when the gates open but this is in 2nd gear. In 4th gear I have seen 1 bar as early as 3200rpm. I will compare both with real data before I decide which one will stay on  Grin
I have also fitted a new tank with larger outlet, a new pump and 1000cc injectors. The 550cc and pump that was in it where maxed out already at 6000rpm and 1.5 bar boost as you can see in the log. It nets roughly 325g/s at 7500rpm.
So to end this message, here is the latest photo of how the drivers side looks now (all new welded panels unpainted but you can also see the wheels and brakes).

And one small video that I found on my phone (from last year). I promise that there will be more content when I have her al set up again...
https://www.youtube.com/embed/iIGGvnJbPII

So I will post again when things are ready for the street again  Cool

maj0nez

« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2020, 12:30:45 AM »

Does he still drive?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
  Print  

Jump to: