Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Author Topic: 1981 VW T3 1.8turbo build  (Read 243327 times)
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 12:35:45 PM »

Some progress has been made:
Stainless pipes and bends for the exhaust in 3" and 2.5" and steel for the engine support bar

Got most of it from the scrapyard and paid 60€ for the lot. I like these bends  Kiss

Put in a new timing belt with rolls, and traded a pack of cookies for this brand new K&N  Huh Grin

New Sachs clutch set

The reason why I am here (a friend of mine had it done for me, and it turns out a pro can do this in 2 minutes or so  Roll Eyes I didnt dare to put it in myself)

Welding the support bar with a friend (yesterday)

Thats me getting my arm burnt from UV radiation

And it is on its own support! It even fits under the stock decklid, that was one condition that my wife had when I purchased this engine...

When we lowered the bus down from the axle stands we encountered a slight problem...

So in the meantime my wife is convinced about the need for the engine to be slightly higher from the ground, and I am now allowed to raise the lid  Wink That will be done tomorrow. I hope to start this thing this week!

One question regarding to chipping: I dont use the charcoal valve, which is I believe the only emissions related feature on this early AEB engine. Havent seen a LDP or a plug that would lead to it, so I guess the engine doesnt have one. Can I leave the valve unplugged without CEL's on ME3.2 or do I need to write in the coding? The search provided me with the following maps that could be altered to fool readiness
EVAP
CDTES - Eurobyte - LDP Diagnosis
CDLDP - Eurobyte - EVAP diagnosis
CLATEVE - EVAP plug
CLALDPE - LDP plug
BUT question #1 is if these maps even exist in my eprom, and #2 if so, how do I find these maps when I cant even find a defined file for my ECU  Undecided
Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:25:42 AM by TijnCU » Logged

_nameless

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »

Just desoldered my original chip, here is the file:

Here's a few addresses 

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 01:50:08 AM »

Thanks Marty! I will go and compare those adresses in my 2 files, and I will look for more adresses  Smiley
Raised the engine 10cm so clearance is now 15cm in total Roll Eyes

Gearbox mount

Intercoolers will be on both sides in the air intake compartiment (behind the tail lights), waiting for silicone bends to hook everything up.

Wires  Shocked got the schematics but still...

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:47:45 PM by TijnCU » Logged

turboat

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 03:34:43 AM »

Cool build Smiley I've recently fitted a 1.8t into a t4, modern power transforms the van
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »

Cool, a 150, 180 or 225 hp engine? I already had the van keeping up in daily traffic by transplanting the 115hp 2.0 instead of the 70hp aircooled flat four, but I love the possibilities on these 1.8t engines!
Tomorrow I will try to link the ecu to my vagcom. If everything works, I should be able to start it for the first time! I am curious if the immobilizer is active, if it is I will open the ecu again and make use of the great knowledge (and files) on this site  Kiss I am pretty sure the immobilizer will kill the engine, but I may be lucky  Grin

Tomorrow I pick up a new belt for the generator and waterpump, hope this one will fit properly...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:49:27 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »

I am concerned about my ecu: no matter how I connect the power, my throttle flap keeps moving irraticly, then stops for a couple of minutes, then starts flapping around again. Small tremors, not like before that it would go in to both ways and then center.
I am not 100% certain about the wiring, because when I pull on the wiring I have the feeling I can activate the throttle movements. However even with seperate power directly from the battery into the plugs from the wiring loom. I am looking into a new ecu, and found a cheap one on ebay:
4B0906018AA 0 261 206 449 (ME7.5?) from the APU engine (same bottom end as the AEB, so I guess same sensors?). So I will be able to flash it from now on...
Will I need to replace the entire engine loom to fit this ecu, or will I be able to just use the new type connectors and add the wiring for the map sensor? I have the 5 connector loom now, so that wont fit directly anyway.
Any thoughts on additional things to buy?
I came up with this:
ECU ME7.5
Map sensor
DBW Throttle body
Electronic throttle pedal

Hope anyone can help out on these questions!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:12:11 AM by TijnCU » Logged

_nameless

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 04:50:36 AM »

I am concerned about my ecu: no matter how I connect the power, my throttle flap keeps moving irraticly, then stops for a couple of minutes, then starts flapping around again. Small tremors, not like before that it would go in to both ways and then center.
I am not 100% certain about the wiring, because when I pull on the wiring I have the feeling I can activate the throttle movements. However even with seperate power directly from the battery into the plugs from the wiring loom. I am looking into a new ecu, and found a cheap one on ebay:
4B0906018AA 0 261 206 449 (ME7.5?) from the APU engine (same bottom end as the AEB, so I guess same sensors?). So I will be able to flash it from now on...
Will I need to replace the entire engine loom to fit this ecu, or will I be able to just use the new type connectors and add the wiring for the map sensor? I have the 5 connector loom now, so that wont fit directly anyway.
Any thoughts on additional things to buy?
I came up with this:
ECU ME7.5
Map sensor
DBW Throttle body
Electronic throttle pedal

Hope anyone can help out on these questions!

might as well go wideband if your doing the swap

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
adam-

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 12:27:50 PM »

Me7.5 is wideband.

It's pretty well covered in the UK now; you'll need the lambda loom too.

I've got a wideband loom sitting in the garage; ECU connector is snipped off and so are some other wires, but if you need it, you can have it! Smiley
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »

Thanks for the offer! I already ordered all of the above parts including a complete engine loom that matches the ecu. Its not a wideband setup though, ecu and loom belong to the APU engine. Its the easiest swap, since the coil packs and other hardware are the same on the APU as on my AEB. Not sure about the cam trigger, probably need to swap the 1 window AEB version for a 4 window type... total damage so far just about 100€ (I ordered all my parts from Germany and had them economy shipped to a friends adress overthere, cheap deals Shocked ) so I guess I will be able to refund myself by selling the DBC throttle and engine loom again  Grin
One advantage is that I dont need to modify my throttle cable lol

Got the intercoolers in their locations, need to source some more stainless pipes to connect all.
this is the right side of the engine compartiment

seen from the bottom

left side (seen through taillight)

Need to get started on the exhaust too...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:52:56 PM by TijnCU » Logged

turboat

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 03:10:06 AM »

I went for the 180bhp AUQ, running a fairly conservative 200bhp map atm while it waits for me to have time to play with it more. Its probably only making 170-180bhp because the downpipe is pretty horrible, the turbo elbow doesnt flow well at all, but I needed something to get it on the road and I'll replace it with a 3" system at some point soon.

Are you going to add scoops for the ICs?
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 07:42:54 AM »

Not to begin with, there is positive pressure under the engine lid with this stock inlets so I might as well see how this goes first. If it gets too inefficient, I will add fans to the IC's. I prefer to keep the outside of the van stockish. Inside it will be sealed around the IC so the air has to pass through offcourse  Wink I guess the turbo will be the restrictive part of my exhaust setup, running milk factory powered 3" pipework haha

Just got off the phone with the VW dealer in my town, he ordered the 4 window trigger wheel for me and will be delivered tomorrow... for less than 6€ lol haha
If anyone is in need for the same part: VW# 06B 905 234 A for the 4 window and VW# 078 905 234 F for the 1 window AEB version

Just got my LPG kit delivered, this should be adequate to suit the engine up to around 240hp at first:

vapourizer should hold max 360hp, but from what I've read that is somewhat questionable.

Injectors 1.3 ohm max 60hp per unit

This gas ecu can output several additional signals, in theory it should be able to trigger a secondary map in the main ecu (like the US tuners do with stacked flashroms?) Not going in there first, but that would be a cool feature to run different timing maps on petrol and lpg Grin

Got my first deliveries today: oem map sensor, e-throttle, cam timing wheel and the ME7.5 ECU, tomorrow I expect the engine loom and the throttle body. I'm glad I dont need to solder on the board again Wink
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:54:49 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 03:24:40 AM »

Another thought on the map switching, would a non VVT engine with the ME7.5 control be able to trigger KFZW2 for a secondary timing map? This could be a nice custom feature for actually putting the high octace LPG to be more efficient  Smiley I found this in the funktionsrahmen:
SY_NWS = 0: keine NWS
              = 1: 2-Punkt-NWS
              = 2: stetige NWS
Die SW wird bedingt ubersetzt, d.h. es ist immer nur eine Variante im EPROM vorhanden. SY_NWS ist nicht im EPROM nicht applizierbar.
Which I interpret as: The software is written for only one type of NWS, you can not add this function in eprom?
Heres the AEB cam trigger wheel that was on it

and this is current version which I will use with the APU setup

Did not find any clear info about it but I just assume I need to have this one.
I fabricated the piping between intercoolers, and just need to make it in stainless now (test fitted with pvc pipe)
Then I started on the exhaust, downpipe is looking smooth  Grin I am not sure where to put the 02 bungs, I think just in front of the flex pipe is fine? I will run a single narrow band first, the 2nd bung is for the wideband (I dont have my own yet, will borrow one first). If the wideband is better off a bit further away I can put that bung behind the flex pipe for instance...

Passing under the gearbox to the first silencer

Then it needs to come up a bit from here and 90' into into the rear silencer. From there will be a 2.5" exhaust tip to both sides

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:19:24 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 06:09:57 AM »

Got my parts last sunday, no real progress because of the weather mostly (rain every day).
The ecu, didnt connect it yet because I need to make a bench setup first or just plug it in the car..

And the other hardware:

Spent most of my monday checking wiring diagrams, and made a connection scheme so I can get started next week.
I'm working on a definition file, hope to finish it this week. Good practice in using winols for me  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:23:58 PM by TijnCU » Logged

eliotroyano

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 01:26:05 PM »

Got my parts last sunday, no real progress because of the weather mostly (rain every day).
The ecu, didnt connect it yet because I need to make a bench setup first or just plug it in the car..

And the other hardware:

Spent most of my monday checking wiring diagrams, and made a connection scheme so I can get started next week.
I'm working on a definition file, hope to finish it this week. Good practice in using winols for me  Smiley

Are you planing an ECU conversion, I mean an AEB engine with a ME7.5 ECU Huh Huh Huh
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:28:21 PM by eliotroyano » Logged
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »

Yes, that was the idea.. Didnt get any response from the old ECU over K-line nor did it want to start. Perhaps because of my soldering (s)kills Roll Eyes
I have finished my definition file for now, maybe one of you guys can take a look if it is any good. It is based on a definition file from 4B0906018P - 352750 ECU, I found it in the definition section. I did not alter any descriptions, just offsets in the hexdump by visual recognition (about 90% was in a different place, but most data was the same).
So most credits go to the writer of the P-definition SixSeven Wink I started with the secondairy lambda obd stuff, but I dont think the APU engine has one (my new wiring loom doesnt seem to have it either). In the file they are also at 0 and differ from the ATW file so I believe that makes sense.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:35:11 PM by TijnCU » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: