Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Author Topic: 1981 VW T3 1.8turbo build  (Read 243301 times)
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »

Found my boostleak, its the diverter valve that opens at 1 bar turbo outlet pressure.

One way to see this in logs is to look for unexpected variance between ps_w and actual boost.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2015, 01:21:39 AM »

Yeah, not really unexpected because I know what I tuned it for. Pretty severe difference, and the ecu is not liking it  Roll Eyes
First I thought it might be the wastegate spring, but if the DV is bypassing all pressure above 1 bar I understand it will not build more boost...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:54:55 AM by TijnCU » Logged

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »

That looks like the turbo is getting choked. I have seen that a lot before .... the intake hose is collapsing or the filter is too small.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:08:59 PM by 10101011 » Logged

Poor quality lingers long after the price is forgotten ....
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »

the intake take is collapsing or the filter is too small.

Definitely a possibility.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2015, 02:01:59 AM »

Nah that was not the case... The DV was leaking from the diaphragm into the tip. I reversed it so the rip was now "leaking" into the charge pipe and voila: 2350mbar peak  Grin Now I just have to log again and see where my maf exceeds specified max limit, because I got an intermittent maf too high code. I suspect it to be around 4k, thats where it suddenly stopped pulling.
I ordered the electronical TFSI DV as discussed here from a breaker including the adapter, so I'll put that one in as a replacement.
I must say that the engine is finally showing some real muscle, I am definitely riding the limit of my clutch in 5th gear! Maybe I will tone the spike down a bit, because I dont want to fry my new clutch...  Roll Eyes Thats the downside of pushing a heavy brick lol... And I just ordered an LC-2 wideband for my birthday (from my wife's account)  Grin

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2015, 04:47:04 AM »

*I found out you werent able to see my pics (when I logged in on a different pc) so I am now replacing them with photobucket copies.

Hey guys, there has been some progress in the project again  Grin
I was having misfires under load, so I expected my coils to be failing due to wrong dwell times (aeb coils on me7.5)
In stead of adjusting the dwell, I sourced a set of TFSI coils and converted my loom.
halfway in:

finished valve cover part

and final result including deleted icm cables and evap

Then, I took it for a test drive and.... Still misfires  Grin Lips sealed
Well, since I asked my wife for a wideband for my birthday, I only had to wait for the date... On sunday I got my present and on monday it was in the car. I immediately saw I was running super rich on lpg, I'm talking 0.6 lambda on boost. So I toned it down a bit and gained a few psi of boost. I'm still working on it, running lambda 1.1 on cruise conditions and still getting around 0.75-0.8 at hard pulls so I need to cut it back a bit. I also found out I was running lambda 0.7 at WOT gasoline. I might adjust the fuel pressure (of both fuels) down a bit, since I dont need more fuel. At least its good to know I have some headroom. Now I need to find out if the rich running is due to wrong MAF values, wrong KRKTE or wrong fuel pressure  Undecided To be honest I suspect MAF, I logged 180g/s on a WOT 3rd gear pull the other day, and I dont think my turbo is capable of pushing that much air...

Added heatshield yesterday and worked on the engine cover

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:10:47 AM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2015, 10:38:55 AM »

I'm working on my fueling at the moment, to save my valves. I finally got the LPG delivery down on boost, it's a small scale to balance but I managed to get into the 0.85-1 lambda range on boost. The car is running so much stronger now, its really strange to do it like this because I have always feared running lean because of many horror stories people told me. Turns out they dont know what they are talking about (when it comes to LPG)  Roll Eyes

I have trouble connecting my LC-2 on the serial connection, I'm reading out from the analog out. Are they sensitive to which serial usb adapter one uses? I cant connect at all, and on my old win98 laptop with direct serial port it doesnt work either. could be dodgy usb adapter and incompatibility of win98 too... I just ordered a new adapter, hope that fixes my connection issues. Local store did not have them  Roll Eyes old school equipment...
I'm looking into EGT probes, my friend wants to make me a small multi function lcd panel to show analog values and egt. The price of the sensor is not the problem, but I dont really want to take off my turbo and manifold to drill and tap it to fit the sensor. Post turbo does not make any sense to me so I'll just wait for motivation  Wink

Here is a small compilation of the bus so far, no WOT pulls or anything, I'll make a power video later when everything is how I want it to be Grin
http://youtu.be/eiTOqlnyD20

Progress on the TIP.

Not finished yet and done with my mig machine (I dont own the tig that I used for the chargepipes and exhaust)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:07:49 AM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2015, 01:08:37 AM »

fitting my new intake:

Its a bit tight with the E-DV, but it will do untill I have more spare time to correct my tip. There needs to come a connection for the n75 dump still, it is now dumping to atmosphere (pipe broke off some time ago).

Video of an acceleration, I had another with NLS but I changed the settings and it didnt engage anymore  Roll Eyes (so I shifted at 6600rpm) I'll redo that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQ2ZN2hyMo

And a log with the new setup, still no direct wideband reading in the log unfortunately. rs232 Adapter is in the mail. I have massive hesitation during spooltime, and I can relate this to PS_w going all over the place. I'm now searching the FR for a cause, besides I still have bad maf readings. I'm now on a 80mm maf, I have 2 sensors that read totally different. The original 80mm sensor reads around 0g/s at idle so thats not very good, the other sensor (from the 70mm) reads 4-5g/s at idle. Maf is scaled to 225 original values, KFKHFM is 1.
** I have confirmed my bin does not have cam switchover functions or EGR in BGSRM module. A couple of things that I can think of is:
-My K03 turbo messing up PRGNM / KFPRG(Internal exhaust gas partial pressure dependent on engine speed and cam state)
-My AEB manifold messing up the KISRM calculation
(-when driving on LPG: the injected gas also influencing KISRM but my logs are mostly on petrol so shouldnt matter)
my intercooler setup is fairly equal to the s3, so I dont think that is the problem.
I adjusted the MLHFM a bit and now the maf reading is better, I will log again with maf@throttle plate and maf voltage, and some other variables that link to ps and rl.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:40:43 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2015, 11:04:49 AM »

Last week on tueseday I went to the VW dealer in my town, to order the TFSI coil adapters. I had a conversation with the head mechanic, and I showed them the launch control function. They were super stoked about it, and I could leave the bus for its annual inspection without an appointment (mine needs to go every 2 years because it is older than 30years, it was due by the 3rd of March  Tongue). I liked that because I had a trip coming up for the weekend, and then I would know if it was safe to go all out on the German autobahn  Grin Unfortunately there where some repair points, so I picked it up at the end of the day and took her home for repair. One nasty thing was one of my rear tires that had bumps on the sidewall at the inside, glad they found that so I could put on a different set of wheels for the trip. I dont want to think about what could have happened with that tire at high speed with lots of cargo.
I repaired mostly everything on wednesday and picked up the adapters in the morning too:

and fitted them to the engine:

My wife and I left to Feldberg Germany on thursday, I picked up 3 friends and so we had the bus fully packed with 5 persons and snowboarding equipment. Good test for the engine, it was a 750km drive. I drove through the night and we had no trouble with the engine at all, just a bit too rainy for speeds above 140kmh (lots of aquaplanning). I noticed that high load in the mountains (1500m) was not really smooth, I guess that was my max pressure ratio limiter kicking in. But its hard work for a little 1.8t pushing a 2000+kg bus up against a steep hill so overall I was happy with the tune.
Did a couple of powerslides as well because sometimes I had to floor it to maintain speed and when the rpms would go over 2000 the power came in quite aggressive for slushy snow roads Tongue
On the way back home sunday we had much better weather so I could keep the speed up a bit more, mostly between 140 and 170km/h.
The police found it "interesting" when I passed them with 40km/h speed difference so they pulled me over. Roll Eyes

After a quick check of the car and cargo they decided to let me go so I could resume the trip back home  Wink
I havent tested the maximum speed because we were so heavy, but there was definitely more power available. I think I might be able to get it up to 200km/h.
Fuel consumption was very very reasonable, average 6km/liter LPG (lpg is €0,60 here, regular petrol €1.50 so cost wise I would have to run 15km/liter on petrol  Shocked I cant get that consumption even in a very expensive modern car at those speeds, let alone in a bus!)
Tomorrow morning the bus goes back to VW to get the inspection finished and then its free of inspections untill the 3rd of March 2017 again  Cool

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2015, 12:51:55 PM »

Hi guys, a small update for who ever is reading:
I have been working on a gearbox breather solution, and trying some new fittings around the case. Hasnt been working out, in result I just lost some more oil on the highway (lucky me it sticks to the rear of the van  Lips sealed ) I will try to make a proper catch can setup now, with breather from the top and return in the bottom. For those who dont understand the issue: The box is fitted upside down and the original drain is now the breather point, which is essentially right above the differential (sprays oil out of the breather). I tried to relocate the breather to the filler bung, but when you drive through long bends the oil fills the breather hose and pressurizes, in result blowing out waves of oil.
To stay dry, driving under 120km/h was the solution. I was fine with that for now.
Then I spent some time reworking my vacuum lines, replaced everything with reinforced tubes and bolted everything down nice and tight. I also removed all T's and there is only 1 checkvalve left, for the brakebooster.

Left small line goes to the lpg MAPsensor, right small line to fuel pressure regulator, big front line directly to lpg reducer and the big one on the right to the brakebooster.

Yesterday night I took the bus to work, and noticed my LPG is now superb! No more hesitations or fluctuations in delivery pressure at all!
I did a 2nd gear log all the way to the revlimiter, car feels really strong. Maf is a bit underscaled, but no CFs at all!
I need to get the maf@throttle plate up a bit, ps_w looks way better now though. Lambda is not logged in me7l, but I see around 0.95 to 0.85 throughout the pull.
Unfortunately when I did a second run on petrol for comparison, my water pump impellor failed and I stranded. Got home after letting the car cool all the way down and then driving it for a couple of minutes untill it was 95deg. and then cooling it again, so it took me quite long to get home  Wink ordered a new water pump this evening and hope to fit it before wednesday.
Please take a look at my log file and point me to other improvements other then the timing  Kiss
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:56:15 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2015, 12:16:48 PM »

I bought a genuine K04-020 second hand, I will take it apart for a good inspection when it gets here, and then see if I can do some modifications to fit it to the bus. I am looking for a bit more power up top but I'm scared to kill the driveability with a bigger turbo. So I decided the k04-02x series would suit best. I didnt want a k04-015 and I dont mind to modify parts to fit it. There's plenty of room so maybe I'll just drop it a bit lower with an adapterplate.
We'll see... If I change my mind its easy to sell it again because these things sell easy  Grin

prj

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »

Good idea with the K04-020. K04-015 is pointless.

Glad to find out you learned how to tune LPG correctly.
With LPG 0.6 lambda is MUCH more dangerous than 1.0.

In fact, it is useless to go past 0.9 with LPG, you will only increase EGT and not make any more power.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2015, 07:04:18 AM »

I read some of your posts that got me on the right track, thanks PRJ! I also bought an EGT sensor that I will mount pre-turbo to get it performing within safe margins. I just need a good mafsensor now, because I cant get my fueling very stable due to swinging maf values. But its around .9 lambda most of the time when on boost, and at 1 for cruising. Maybe just a tad richer than I would like, but thats because my factory o2 sensor is slow, it gives lean readings for too long when it is already richening on the wideband and causes positive fuel trims. Need to deep out my pockets again, so it seems...  Roll Eyes

ddillenger

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »

If you can put some space between that code filter and the maf somehow (not a bend either) your MAF would likely improve.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2015, 03:13:59 PM »

Hmm yeah I've also been thinking about moving it outside of the bay to get some colder air into it, might just add a straight pipe and hack a hole in the firewall. There's not really any space left now, unless I have the pipe run inside the filter. Would that work or just make the turbulence worse?
I read in a Tuning book that the pipe in front of the maf should be at least double the size of the diameter, so in my case about 15cm long. It does not state that the airflow should come from a specific direction, so inside-filter pipe might do the trick.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:25:39 AM by TijnCU » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: