Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Author Topic: 1981 VW T3 1.8turbo build  (Read 243317 times)
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2015, 04:43:00 AM »

The chra of my new k04 is done   Grin

It's a 50/44.5mm turbine with 2280 compressor, new bearings, seals etc and balanced. Now the next step is to machine the housings  Smiley
I sold the 370cc injectors already, going for 550cc because they work awesome on my other project as well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:11:39 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »

All previous photo's have been restored to Photobucket and I've edited them into the older posts. No progress on the bus at the moment, I'm working on tuning our project Audi TT / saving up money for intercooler and I still need to balance my modified flywheel  Roll Eyes

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »

It's that time of the year, a dream came true for me  Cool

Just need to find another bottle of Argon to get this thing running, first project: tubular manifold  Grin
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:36:53 AM by TijnCU » Logged

TurboWarrior

« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2016, 03:06:56 PM »

What are the injectors you're running?
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2016, 06:28:05 AM »

At this moment I'm still on stock AEB injectors @ 4.5 bar. I never really drive on petrol though, just starting and maybe the first km when its cold. They are just about maxed out even on the small K03... I plan on using Bosch/Ford 550cc's when upgrading the turbo, I have put these in another car I've other built and they work very well. For my car I need to shorten the fuel rail height though, or shave the manifold or add spacers. Downside of an AEB intake manifold. I plan on adjusting the fuel rail brackets, I think that is the cleanest option. *and then I found these 550's in a 10mm longer body  Grin problem solved.
Heres a picture of the short 550cc's:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 02:36:39 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2016, 05:27:41 AM »

Picked up a new engine on wednesday, I like to have one on stock. I plan on building this motor in the future, but for now I'll just sell all parts I dont need and put it in the corner. It's an ARY from 2001 TT with 120.000km. I got it with the loom, maf, wideband sensor, ecu and accelerator pedal for only 450€ so I was happy about that. Just when I got home I pulled the ecu apart and it turned out to be the wrong ecu... 400bb. I googled the part number, and it is actually from the APX engine (this guy had both an APX and ARY engine for sale, but the APX was already gone). So well no big deal, I'll just sell this APX ecu and look for a wideband ecu to convert in the near future. The engine will probably earn itself back without much trouble, I'm just thinking about getting a AGU head to go on it eventually (so I can keep my large port manifold).

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2016, 11:44:24 AM »

Done some good deals the past weeks, I sold both the ECU and the turbo of the spare engine, earning back the €450,- plus I sold the injectors for €75 so I am now actually making money on my spare  Cheesy
Picking up the engine in my bus:

It's laying massively in the way (I have a really small workshed and it is literally laying in the doorway so I have to step over it to enter Grin) so I decided to practice my tig welding by making an engine stand. Just need to pick up some tubes for the turnable mount.

I also got started on collecting parts for my new manifold! Just need to make some mockup bracket on my engine so I can weld it and testfit on the spare block so it will roughly match my downpipe.

And I welded a 3" stainless TIP for our project Audi TT to match the turbo inlet. Just need to wait for the silicone hoses, its a 90degree 76mm from the tip to the turbo and a 45 degree 76mm to 80mm from the tip to the MAF.

I also bought a B7 A4 ecu (518AQ) to experiment with, turns out there is hardly any definition files for it but I can always crossflash it with the 518AK.. I started disassembling it to try to locate more maps but as always process is slow. I guess I am spoiled with my 512kb fully defined file, so much easier to do specific modifications... Might pick up another wideband ecu (but then go for 05.12 bootrom type) when I get to sell this A4 ecu for a decent price.
And I finally ordered my new injectors, the long Bosch 550cc's. Expecting them next week  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:51:31 AM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2016, 03:28:48 AM »

Injectors are here  Smiley

Long body ev14 550cc to go in the AEB manifold.
Also I've managed to collect some more ecu's  Grin
Sold 1 already and there is offcourse another one in the car. These are for experimenting and tuning. I think I will drive with the 018CG ecu.

Yesterday I converted the wiring loom, and from today the bus is running on a wideband ecu with 018CA 180hp Audi A6 software. Its stock 180hp at the moment, with some tweaks in eskonf and cw_can. I dont feel like tuning it yet before I put in the new clutch because it really is allmost gone (shame on me!!) Thats now top priority when it comes to repairs, but I really felt like swapping in the wideband ecu to calibrate the new injectors easier  Roll Eyes
* I took the flywheel to my local VW dealer, made some smalltalk (Did you know new OEM tfsi coils cost 70€ in the Netherlands?) and then had them put the flywheel on the tire balancing machine  Grin I know its not accurate for this type of measurements, but the goal was to see if the clutch cover was centered properly. And tadahhh second measurement with clutch cover and bolts turned out exactly the same as the bare flywheel :-) I'll just go for it now, if the imbalance is noticable I'll have it precision balanced when I swap engines. Its somewhere in the 5 gram range, so most likely I wont feel it at all. I'll swap it this weekend  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:15:32 AM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2016, 09:27:27 AM »

Clutch is in for a couple of weeks now, slight issue with the pressure plate that grinds on something during starting starter motor that is on its way out and offcourse a dead throw out bearing that I did not replace Lips sealed
Will have to pull the gearbox again eventually, but for now its fine.

New and old side by side

I bought a big Makita disk cutter second hand for just 25€ and after fitting a new disk I was ready to try my first collector for the k04 manifold.
Only problem is I bought galvanized tube, so welding kind of sucks. But I managed to get it clean enough for good result:

Welded inside and outside for maximum welding credit  Cool (or to cover up imperfect fitment...)

And there she is on the turbo. Have to think about studs/hex/allen bolts and fitment because this pipe is on the edge of too large for a k04 flange  Roll Eyes still able to tighten the allen bolts at this time, so hope it will be ok. Probably need to go for I just found a bag of M10 SW14 nuts in my shed that will fit with the M10 studs  Grin

Inside comparison with k03mani

Positioning hotside on spare block

So thats it for now, will post a log soon to show how the bus is running on the wideband setup Smiley
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:08:44 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »

Started mocking up some bends for the manifold, looks I'm getting fairly equal headers this way. Cylinder 2 and 3 can be joined with 45°bends into Y (for simplicity pictured with 90°bends) and you have to imagine the straight tube section on cylinder 4. All nuts on the head flange can be reached quite easily! What do you guys think? Am I over-complicating this or will this make my campervan a starship  Grin

Stud 'n nut

View on join section 2+3

With imaginary connection to cylinder 4

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2016, 01:03:30 PM »

Machining the turbo today

Needs a little trimming of the curved section between inducer and exducer, because of larger tip height. Did not manage to finish it today unfortunately.
Exducer sizing is good, so thats nice.

So, on to the manifold. Cylinder 1 is done, so next up was cylinder 2 and 3. Looks good to me Smiley

This was during test fitting, not everything aligned. Its all in the right place now. I really like how equal the header lengths turned out so far!

And some days ago my other AEB head came by mail, I just gave it a quick wash and will be dismantling it soon. I will fit uprated exhaust valves to it and thats about it. It will go onto the new engine that I currently use for building the manifold, so when I get to swap engines I dont have to worry about different size ports. Besides, why would I downgrade my upgraded engine with a small port head  Roll Eyes

Just got back from the shed, I finished the initial fitment of the tacked manifold *happy*  Grin

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:24:37 AM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2016, 01:07:26 AM »

Manifold is done, head flange is warped by 0.4mm or 0.017' so not too bad. I will machine it flat and have it bead blasted, then it will receive a coating. Super happy with the result. I used up a full 20 litre bottle of argon, but hey Grin

I made a heatshield for the valve cover that fits nicely over the manifold, next up is to make the turbo bracket (after machining ofcourse). Then its time to finish the turbo housings and slap it all together on the bus!

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »

Today back to the workshop, tied the compressor housing to the lathe and gave it a whirl

After some measuring and removing the housing and then concluding that the compressor wheel still makes contact, I managed to get it to fit  Tongue

Tadahhh

Terror_Flynn

« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2016, 12:19:18 AM »

Hi! I'm interested in the OEM 180hp A6 .bin file. Did you get it from this forum or elsewhere on the internet or did you read it from a ECU? Could you upload the file here on the forum?

I want to try crossflash that file to one of my spare ECUs and use it with my AWT engine. The AWT engine uses the 018CG ECU. (1024kb, wideband)

I didn't knew it existed a 180hp wideband ME7.5 version.
Does it already exist a definition for 018CA or did you make your own?

Audi A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro -2001 (AWT)
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2016, 01:20:09 PM »

Ah yes, sorry mister Terror Flynn, I found out it was actually a 150hp file. But don't worry, follow my link to the full definition and make it better than 180hp yourself!  Grin
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=10354.msg90466#msg90466

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: