Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22
Author Topic: My Tial 605 Tune Thread  (Read 252917 times)
sleeperavant

« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »

Possibly...  the point of that map is to tune out variations and keep lambda as close to 1.0 as possible.

Most tunes I've seen have a similar shape to mine.

That said, 400g/sec is approx 1440kg/hr.

Can anyone tell me if I'm looking at MLHFM and the numbers that are in the bins, is that supposed to be kg/hr?  If so I think I'm maxing my MAF. Looking at my logs I'm very close to 400 g/sec.

From what I've read the values in KFKHFM are not lambda values but air mass values:

The values in KFKHM in one of my files cluster around 1.000 so whether they are lambda values or correction factors to lambda, increasing them will increase lambda (leaner) and decreasing them will decrease lambda (richer).

I thought they were air mass corrections, not lambda corrections, so it would be the opposite ... higher means adjust MAF reading up (adding fuel to a too lean area) and lower means adjust MAF reading down (remove fuel from a too rich area).

Do I have it backwards??
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »

From what I've read the values in KFKHFM are not lambda values but air mass values:

I never said they were lambda values Smiley

They're not air mass values either.. they're a multiplier as far as I understand it to MLHFM... and it allows you to "tweak" the mass air values in certain RPM/Load ranges that might be effected by variations in the intake tract (turbulence from intake arms, MAF placement, short ram/open element filters, etc).

1.00 = no change to MAF value, 0.99 and lower is acting negatively on the MAF value and 1.01 and higher is acting positively on them.

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
sleeperavant

« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »

Yeah, I'm still learning at this point, please bear with me  Grin  Thanks for the explanation.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »

^^^ Of course... I'm still learning too Smiley

I hope I didn't come off as rude, it wasn't my intention at all.

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
sleeperavant

« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »

No worries, you didn't come off as rude at all  Wink
rayce

« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2011, 05:32:04 AM »

Interesting read so far… I noted something nyet said about your flow meter. I’m an EE/Controls Engineer/ASE Master Automotive Technician but pretend to be an engineer now and have to perform orifice calculations quite often. There is an important part of flow that may clue you in to what I am about to suggest. The beta ratio for delta p (differential pressure) is part of the calculation we have to take in to account when designing orifice plates for projects. A beta ratio closer to 50% will give much higher delta p and accuracy at low flows but less efficiency at high flows. A beta ratio closer to 75% will give less accuracy at low flows but higher efficiency at high flows. Mass flow is much more accurate and much more efficient regarding both but still has pitfalls. A rule regarding orifice flow measurement is no bends ten pipe diameters before the transmitter. Mass flow can get away with less and following manufacturer datasheets are the rule in that respect.

If you are considerably larger with the diameter of a mass flow meter, do whatever you can to straighten out the flow upstream of the sensor in order to smooth flow across the sensor at low air speeds. Mesh screens are often designed in MAF sensors for this reason. A velocity stack is a real good suggestion and or air horns. If this is new territory and there is no example to follow, you may have a lot of time getting it to tune and may be better off trying a different design which already has the hours testing. Also note air flow at high mph can have really big affects on engine performance because of the turbulence from side winds etc., and a Dyno can not simulate this.

Just my .02 but I don’t want to sound Daft…

04 TT 225BEA Quattro
68 T1 VW Street Rail 2.5 Turbo 18psi 1300lbs
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2011, 01:04:54 PM »

Not taking it the wrong way at all.. thanks for your insight...

I will be investing in a new MAF setup completely and when I do I will revise my intake system.... I also want to get the stock airbox back in place.

Hansi

« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »

Have you adjusted TEMIN?
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2011, 08:42:15 PM »

Have you adjusted TEMIN?

No... it's stock @ 0.50ms

judeisnotobscure

« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2011, 01:23:31 PM »

How's the car running?  any progress?
I've heard 450 whp i think but i just figured i'd ask.

I have a b5 s4
but i just want to dance.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2011, 09:54:44 AM »

It's running well.. too lazy to do any more tuning... I am assuming it's making around 450whp (dynojet) and went 11.9 @120 and 12.0 @ 120 mph... so I know the car is making good numbers.

That said, I've been recently having more and more misfires... I think my ign system is just getting too old to cope with the increased power.

I've also been having more and more shutdowns/limp mode activation...

Basically I'll get on it in 2nd/3rd and just as the boost comes on strong the car completely shuts down, I get a quick CEL and EPC light and then they go off and if I let off the gas and get back on I'm back to normal if the limp/shutdown happens and I stay on the gas (don't lift) I'm limited to 5 psi until I let go of the gas pedal.  This happens completely randomly btw.. it doesn't always go into limp.

I have no idea if it is related to the misfires or something I did in my last revision (started shortly after that) or maybe even a boost leak (doubt it).

Gonna have to take some time and see exactly what is going on to cause this.

s5fourdoor

« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »

i had something almost exactly like that and got rid of it by coding out my egts...   just an idea if your AFR's are good, that should be fine on egt anyways...
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »

I doubt it is anything this complicated. You probably have bad coilpacks, ICMs, or plugs.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2011, 12:12:53 PM »

I doubt it is anything this complicated. You probably have bad coilpacks, ICMs, or plugs.

to be honest, I'm assuming the same... going to do some trouble shooting tonight... got a new set of plugs just in case, and 2 spare CP's and boots (used but known good)... gonna go from there Smiley

judeisnotobscure

« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »

Nice work man... saw the vids over on az.
I'm interested to see if you change maf setups.

I have a b5 s4
but i just want to dance.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22
  Print  

Jump to: