Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2002 A6 3.0 Cluster swap - NO PIN (SOLVED)  (Read 4966 times)
Juliansr

« on: June 17, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »

2002 A6 3.0 Cluster swap- - cant get pin for cluster...

Lucky me, VagTacho ironically omits support for my model.

I can get K+commander 2.5 to run and read the old cluster...but the hex is garbage compared to the nice plain text i've seen in other topics... no pin shows... my mileage is wrong...etc...I have VDO guages. Almost test wrote it back to itself, but cant ruin my old cluster in case i actually have to drive somewhere. nearest dealer is hours from here.

bottom line...i have a blue KKL cable...and i will do any of the following in order of preference:

1. pull the PIN of the new cluster or receive the guidance i need to pull proper eeprom i can dig through for the code as i've seen in other threads

2. copy cluster eeprom to eeprom

3. disable the immo system so i can use the new cluster with the IMMO caveat...

4.move the chip from cluster to cluster ...i don't know which chip so that's a starting issue...but i can solder well. would this even work?

also, i'd try VK+C 3.6 but im 64 bit OS and it kills it.
VK+C 4 & 5 would not give me immo options (were demo)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:29:47 AM by Juliansr » Logged
_nameless

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:24:47 PM »

2002 A6 3.0 Cluster swap- - cant get pin for cluster...

Lucky me, VagTacho ironically omits support for my model.

I can get K+commander 2.5 to run and read the old cluster...but the hex is garbage compared to the nice plain text i've seen in other topics... no pin shows... my mileage is wrong...etc...I have VDO guages. Almost test wrote it back to itself, but cant ruin my old cluster in case i actually have to drive somewhere. nearest dealer is hours from here.

bottom line...i have a blue KKL cable...and i will do any of the following in order of preference:

1. pull the PIN of the new cluster or receive the guidance i need to pull proper eeprom i can dig through for the code as i've seen in other threads

2. copy cluster eeprom to eeprom

3. disable the immo system so i can use the new cluster with the IMMO caveat...

4.move the chip from cluster to cluster ...i don't know which chip so that's a starting issue...but i can solder well. would this even work?

also, i'd try VK+C 3.6 but im 64 bit OS and it kills it.
VK+C 4 & 5 would not give me immo options (were demo)

What I did and worked well for me was read the origanal cluster with Vag EEPROM then install your replacement and write the EEPROM from the origanal
boom done
hope that helps
Marty

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
ddillenger

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »

What I did and worked well for me was read the origanal cluster with Vag EEPROM then install your replacement and write the EEPROM from the origanal
boom done
hope that helps
Marty

This is not such a great idea on the A6. There are 3 different bitmasks MCU's between years. Get the wrong one, insta-brick that can only be recovered with soldering, and reprogramming an encrypted backup directly to the eeprom.

Juliansr: Find a copy of vag eeprom programmer 1.19. It usually works where others fail Smiley

Welcome, and good luck.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Juliansr

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:07:28 AM »

I just wanted to thank the guys above for getting me pointed around the right way.

i have an oddball VAG car, the 2002 A6 with the 3.0NA is lowest in the market and lowest in support/info.
as suggested i used vag eeprom and the kkl cable. i  have linked it below to save future effort.
Also, dumping you the bin here (will add to cluster bin forum too). Maybe it can be useful to some future need.

The good news... I was able to pull the VDO cluster's eeprom and overwrote the new cluster.

I made sure my cable was setup on the proper com and plugged it into the OBDII port.
turned the car to the on position
open the software and verified connection by reading the cluster using DASH

this read the eeprom and the sw loaded it to the main window. i saved it off for good measure.

I then swapped clusters, cycling power on the car to swap clusters, but leaving the SW open.
 i then wrote the eeprom the new cluster.

This was easier and safer than any other method described anywhere on any forums, plus it worked flawlessly in less steps.

pin 1673

thanks again!
_nameless

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »

nice

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: