Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hello everyone... Allroad auto to manual conversion plus a bit more grunt!  (Read 4369 times)
boz0

Hey everyone... I've decided to keep my beautiful '01 allroad alive by swapping in a 6 speed manual kit from the USA. Alas I'm based in Australia so I can't get those guys to reflash my ECU so I'll have to do it myself. Performance tuners here want to charge $1600 with zero guarantee of success. Pah!

The learning curve here looks pretty steep, but it looks straightforward enough... I guess. I just wondered if there had been a thread specifically on a auto-manual AR swap anywhere. I searched but couldn't seem to turn up anything relevant.

Sorry if I'm asking something that's been done to death.

I'm also quite excited by the prospect of unlocking a little more power from my 2.7T... wondered if maybe an S4 flash would be the way to go?

Anyhoo, you all have an amazing forum. Very impressed with the knowledge here.
ddillenger

What year is your allroad? Using an S4 binary (if it's even possible, depends on your year) will result in shit gear detection and cruise issues unless you take the gearing into account. Post your original file. BEL allroads can simply be recoded manual.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
boz0

Hey ddillenger, thanks for a speedy reply!

It's a 2001... I guess I'll buy a cable, pull the firmware then I'll know more! So if you recode it manual do you get all the stock manual goodness like "push clutch to start" etc?

I also really like the idea of tweaking the ECU while I'm there. It's 250hp out of the box, but would be nice to squeeze a bit more if possible. I'll head over to eBay shortly and pick up a cable.

Given the cost of doing the gearbox swap (clutch, new diff, axles etc etc) I plan to keep the car on the road for quite some time.
stew

I just recently did a tip to 6 speed swap on my S4, here are a couple links to get you started.

http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tip_To_6spd_Conversion

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/331348-TIP-6-speed-DIY

boz0

Legend Stew, thanks!
scottmandu

The "Press clutch to Start" message appears in the cluster when the Auto computer is removed, it is not a function of the ECM. Also European spec vehicle did not have the clutch starter switch installed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: