Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2002 A4 BOSCH RB4 'DEF' fault - solution?  (Read 10929 times)
Twincharge

« on: July 27, 2014, 04:44:31 PM »

All,

A friend of mine was having problems with an Audi A4, after a while it would lose contact with the throttle body.  He eliminated everything and it looked like it had to be a ECU fault. 

So he bought a good used one, I dumped the data from the 95p08 eeprom on his original ECU to the new one, this worked great and car is now running without Immo issues or Throttle Body fault.

However, the Instrument Cluster is showing a DEF error, I have seen these before.  Apparently he was playing around with something called Super VAG, and changed the odo value on the Instrument Cluster.

Is it possible to rectify the problem via the data on the 24c08 eeprom?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
f1torrents

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:28:09 PM »

Not unless he make a backup of the full encrypted eeprom or has access to some expensive tools.
Cheapest way without a backup is a replacement cluster.
stolenheartdealer

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:23:38 PM »

Have you found a solution?  I was using VAG Dash to edit the odometer (I can't make it read a normal mileage) on a Immo defeated ECU and now the car reads "def" in the trip, and once I run the car the hazards go on and won't turn off as long as the engine is running.  If I roll the ignition off I can press the hazard button to turn the hazards off but once I start the car again the hazards will start again after about 15 seconds of the engine running.
terok

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 12:05:24 AM »

Isn't that the cause of immo off'd ecu and immo system otherwise active?
stolenheartdealer

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:10:34 AM »

I got sold a mess of a car, the ECU and cluster seem to have been mismatched but ran, except the ECU was edited for emmisions incorrectly and always failed readiness.  I corrected this some time ago by flashing the ECU (with ddilinger's help) and went on to correct my mileage to match my documents.  Problem occurred from what I believe because the ECU was IMMO defeated and contained no VIN info and was missing some IMMO #, the cluster had the wrong VIN.  Attempts made to correct this with the tool (VAG Dash) have failed completely and now my trip odometer is dEF. my mileage was reset (8 miles) and now even though the car runs my hazards stay on even with the car off, key out, and the alarm goes off every time a door is opened, car is started and every time the car begins moving.

Could it be that the key adaption was lost during this process and even though the immo is off, I can still start the car without immo shutting it down a second later, using the keys will trip the car alarm?
f1torrents

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:10:08 AM »

When you first connected Vag dash to your cluster it made a recovery file in the vag dash directory in your computer.
C:/Program files/Vag dash...bla bla bla
You will notice it by the vin if you scanned more than one cluster.
Write that file back to the cluster and you will be back to where you started without the hazards flashing. Then you can go from there.
stolenheartdealer

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:37:56 AM »

No luck Sad  Now I have full blown dEF. Error  Cry

All this VIN/Immo info is stored in the 95040 chip in the ECU and the corresponding EEprom in the cluster, is it possible just to write to each of these with corresponding information?  Then I'm assuming I'll have to adapt my keys?
f1torrents

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 11:20:40 AM »

no the cluster is encrypted.
If you wrote the recovery file to the cluster and still have DEF it is either..

-The wrong file selected
-A china Vag Dash

stolenheartdealer

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:34:27 AM »

no the cluster is encrypted.
If you wrote the recovery file to the cluster and still have DEF it is either..

-The wrong file selected
-A china Vag Dash

Yup china VAG Dash, I wouldn't blame it quite yet since things weren't perfect before I started working with it.  The backup files VD throws errors when loading them saying that it isn't what's expected which makes sense because the ECU and cluster both had incomplete data written to them to start with.  I will try to take screens later tonight and post the backup files VD made but say the china VD isn't the issue and it's just bad data, for my sake, can I write completely new info for the cluster from scratch and then write corresponding data to the eeprom in the ECU?

If I can't solve this with what I have what's the next cheapest step?  Anyone here have a virginized cluster I can buy?  I have shopped around for legit tools but haven't found anything cheaper than 500 - 750 USD hence why I went with a $100 china tool.
f1torrents

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »

Getting a virgin cluster or a cluster with a known SKC is your best option at this point.
I just happen to have a 2002 RB4 cluster that I can virginize for you.
I can also get the mileage and provide the SKC even though its not needed on a virgin cluster.

Then you can adapt to the ECU and keys with VCDS.

PM me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: