Pages: [1]
Author Topic: vnt on gas?  (Read 4398 times)
_nameless

« on: August 19, 2014, 07:19:38 AM »

I acquired a 2260vk for free, friend of mine upgraded to a 2566vk on his alh. im working on a 2l / 20v turbo in my spare time... its a AZG block h beam rods and forged pistons, factory crank. Head is from a AWM. So my question is If i use this turbo on gas engine will it fail from heat?
Ive looked around for the last few weeks and have found conflicting answers. My fear is vanes will fail from heat.
Thanks,
Marty

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
littco

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:53:16 AM »

I acquired a 2260vk for free, friend of mine upgraded to a 2566vk on his alh. im working on a 2l / 20v turbo in my spare time... its a AZG block h beam rods and forged pistons, factory crank. Head is from a AWM. So my question is If i use this turbo on gas engine will it fail from heat?
Ive looked around for the last few weeks and have found conflicting answers. My fear is vanes will fail from heat.
Thanks,
Marty

Reason vnt is used on TDI is that they run cooler, on a gas car egts can reach over 950degrees which will just cause issues with the vnt.

The new Porsches are vnt turbos and they had to be pretty heavily modified to get them to work, there is no doubt though that vnt is definitely a better and more efficient turbo.

Also need to consider that the TDI/vnt work on vacuum rather than boost to control the boost, that would need to rectified.
coreyj03

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »

let me buy that vnt off of you!  i have a gt3082 up for sale.. maybe trade
TheSupervisor

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:09:16 AM »

Reason vnt is used on TDI is that they run cooler, on a gas car egts can reach over 950degrees which will just cause issues with the vnt.

The new Porsches are vnt turbos and they had to be pretty heavily modified to get them to work, there is no doubt though that vnt is definitely a better and more efficient turbo.

Also need to consider that the TDI/vnt work on vacuum rather than boost to control the boost, that would need to rectified.
Egt on my stock 3.0tdi can go as high as 1300f. Even just cruising on the freeway it can sit at 8-900f with just a moderate incline and a touch of throttle.  So at least some of them have been engineered for the higher temps.
MyTunes

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:17:38 AM »

Some of the newer VNT/ VGT turbo's, have an electronic wastegate which can be controlled like an N75 valve.

TheDSI

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 12:55:42 AM »

don't go over 900°C and it will be fine
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: