Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Use of VAG-COM/VCDS on other marques  (Read 6144 times)
TTQS
« on: May 28, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »

Hi.

You might be interested to know that VAG-COM/VCDS can be used in a limited capacity on other marques with OBDII ports.

We had a little issue today on our MY2005 E12 model Toyota Corolla 2.0 D4-D. The engine warning light came on (same symbol as the NefMoto logo) and my wife looked in the owner's manual and informed me that a "warning indicator lamp" was on.

Puzzled, I thought she meant an indicator bulb had failed, so like an idiot, I checked all the turn signals but there was nothing wrong [there was time pressure as we were due to make a 1.5 hour journey to see some friends in the next county]. So I turned the ignition on myself and discovered what she meant. Then my heart sank as many owner's manuals often imply that this check light could result from a serious engine or transmission problem.

However, common sense soon prevailed and I plugged in my laptop and the genuine Ross Tech VCDS interface and after it had updated the firmware, I was pleased to find that I could scan and reset DTCs despite it being a Denso brand ECU as fitted to most Japanese cars, not Bosch or Siemens. The fault code was due to a glow plug connection (sigh of relief) but it cleared and didn't return so no drama and no franchised dealer made easy money out of us today!

Doug
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:54:13 PM by TTQS » Logged
DJGonzo
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 01:21:26 PM »

Yeah there is a OBD function/module on VCDS. Hardly any news  Tongue

I just use a regular OBD scanner though. Much quicker than pulling out my laptop for a non-VAG car  Wink

Thanks for sharing though.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »

Thanks for posting Gonzo. Cheesy
TTQS
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:22 AM »

Agreed, not news to those in the know. Just a nice bonus to be able to use it on Jap cars for basic DTC scans and a limited sub-set of logging parameters. It's the only logging hardware/software I have (except for a Liquid TT gauge) so useful that it works on non VAG cars.

Doug
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: