Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Turbo choice?  (Read 11626 times)
Terror_Flynn

« on: September 02, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »

I'm thinking about which options of turbocharger that suits my plans at the moment.
So I want to read some thoughts from people that know stuff about the 1.8t engine.

My car is gonna be an strictly and GOOD daily driver at the moment. So I don't wanna sacrifice too much of the early spool like the k03 gives.
The engine internals shall also remain stock.
I prefer a bolt-on solution for the turbo.
And a OEM stealthily look in the engine bay.

So I think it narrows down to a k04 or an eliminator turbo.

How much slower is the spool with an eliminator turbo, and can the stock internals take it? The price for it is little bit negative.

An original k04 -015 cost pretty much too, especially if I look how much (little) HP it can support over the k03.

Is it possible to build an ultimate k04 hybrid with parts like: k03s exhaust housing, rs6 parts.. maybe some Opel or Mazda parts works too? They also use k04.

Let me hear your thoughts.

Audi A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro -2001 (AWT)
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:04 AM »

message littco. Dan knows all about these things.

The K03 exhaust housing is too small to support any power though. I'd say use a K04 with RS6 exhaust and 228x billet compressor.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
aef

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:10:42 AM »

Eliminator Kits do have shitty manifolds.

I would use a K04-064 from TFSI. They are cheap at the moment.
You can use them with moderat pressure and its all OEM.

A K04-023 Upgrade with chinafold is expensive, needs a lot of work and is running at the maximum.

Do you have Rods in the engine?
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »

As I wrote, I'm gonna keep the engine internals stock. So no, no H-rods.
Hmm.. Didn't think about TFSI turbo, do they need to be modified to fit? Could you modify them to maybe support a little bit more HP or something?

This is for my A4 b5, so the turbo must work for a longitudinal setup.

Am I really pushing the threshold of my completely stock engine even with tuned k04?

fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:53 AM »

frankenturbo is good bolt-on choice for you i think
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:36:09 PM »

The TFSI K04 is not an option, too much needs to be modified to work for a longitudinal setup.

I'm a bit curious about an k03S exhaust housing (a bit bigger than k04 original housing) and rs6 chra, could make an good hybrid.

The frankenturbo option is really good, and I'm thinking about it too.

What parts is used on a frankenturbo hybrid?

SB_GLI

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »

x 2 on the frankenturbo

I've been running my f4h since 2011 and it's still pushing 220 g/s.  Newer f21's are good for a few more g/s too.

Check the "Rate my Logs" section for my thread.  Logs and dyno graphs in there.  The F21 is good for 240-260whp maxed out on pump gas (although my dyno runs only show 225whp, but I have excuses for that Smiley )
MadCow

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 06:58:11 AM »

I would use a K04-064 from TFSI. They are cheap at the moment.
You can use them with moderat pressure and its all OEM.

It's been done a few times actually, a user on another forum named BeachBuggy developed an adaptor plate to bolt them up to our heads. He's not making them right now but he said that he does plan on resuming production in the future. This guy also makes hybrid turbos and has been talking a lot about his upcoming TFSI hybrid turbos, I'm very excited.
adam-

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 07:02:58 AM »

A guy machines the 064 to bolt straight up to the 1.8t head.

I'm running one just now too, homemade adapter plate took me an afternoon to make, a hole saw and some tap and dies.

Needs a custom oil return, that's it.  Passat Oil Feed and the OE coolant feed/return all bolt up to the 1.8t block.

It's lovely to drive, spools lovely too! Smiley
MadCow

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:13:12 AM »

That's awesome to hear, do you have any pictures or drawings? I thought you also need that bolt-down bar that clamps the manifold on the top. How does the exhaust fit? Is it close or way off?
adam-

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »

It does.  Mine uses the OEM clamps from Audi! Wink

http://s976.photobucket.com/user/Adam_Forbes/library/?sort=3&page=1

My entire builds in there.  Dan's (BeachBuggy) adapter plates are lovely bits of kit though, and if I could afford one, I'd have one of them instead of my pissy homemade one.  Mine works; but its nowhere near a machined piece.
thelastleroy

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 05:37:14 PM »

It does.  Mine uses the OEM clamps from Audi! Wink

http://s976.photobucket.com/user/Adam_Forbes/library/?sort=3&page=1

My entire builds in there.  Dan's (BeachBuggy) adapter plates are lovely bits of kit though, and if I could afford one, I'd have one of them instead of my pissy homemade one.  Mine works; but its nowhere near a machined piece.

Dude, your adapter plate is awesome. This is steel or aluminum? What thickness and alloy did you use? Did you get studs and thread holes to install them into the plate for the manifold, or welded?

I love the counter-sunk fasteners for the factory holes to bolt it to the head. I guess you needed a stock exhaust manifold gasket in between the plate/head and a TFSI manifold gasket on the outside?
adam-

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »

It's not thaaatt good man, it's just something I threw together in an afternoon with very little tools.  It's nowhere near as good as Dan's (BeachBuggy).

I've had to make up little angled pieces to correct the stud angle against the turbo flange as it's angled, whereas Dan doesn't as his adapter piece is thicker and drilled at an angle.  I don't have access to a lathe so couldn't do this.

It's bright steel - so the surface finish is much better.  The studs are just screwed into tapped holes that I made!

The steel was $20, hole saw and countersink bit were $20 too.  It's cheap as chips! Smiley

You guessed it - it needs two gaskets!  It could do with some porting to finish it off, but meh.

Turbo is fantastic, it's holding 22psi all the way to the redline! Smiley  Fully
MadCow

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »

Wow, for that price I might as well try too. did you make any drawings of the dimensions and everything? If I do this I won't have the luxury of the motor out and on an engine stand.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: