Pages: [1]
Author Topic: spare/used ECU swap  (Read 6142 times)
gitman

« on: September 08, 2014, 01:47:40 PM »

I have an Immo3 1.8T with 06A906032 "PL" code ECU, APR chipped. i bought a used "PL" code ECU (stock flash) to be able to swap in and out as I please as I'm trying to learn this tuning stuff.

i'm trying to figure out the best way to do the swap. i don't know the SKC's of either ECU, and i'm trying to avoid going to the dealer or a locksmith to find out that information. can anyone tell me if i'm anywhere close to what needs to be done here?

step 1 - read the 95040 from the current ECU to get the SKC.
step 2 - install the spare ECU into the vehicle
step 3 - read the 95040 to get the SKC from the new ECU
step 4 - run the adaptation procedure as documented on RT's site: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_III_ECU_Swapping#Engine_Control_Unit_.28ECU.29_Swapping_.28USED_ECU.29

if this is correct and i'm able to complete it successfully, then will i be able to swap ECU's any time i want without having to go through an adaptation procedure?

thanks!
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 02:21:31 PM »

just make an immo-off to a spare ecu
turboat

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »

As above, immo off the new ecu, or clone the immo info from your old ecu into your new ecu.

You could do the adaptation prices for the new ecu, but for immo 3 you would need to pair new key transponders to the new ecu, then re-pair the old ones when you swap back...lots easiest to have one of the ecus immo off, or clone the EEPROM so they have the same data, then you can just swap.
gitman

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »

i wanted to try to keep the immobilizer if possible. as for cloning the EEPROM, that involves putting the new/spare ECU into bootmode to be able to write to the 95040, correct?

that's interesting about the keys -- i thought those were matched to the cluster, and as long as you adapt the ECU to the cluster, then the keys would work.
turboat

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 03:13:11 AM »

Yes, it involves putting the ECU into bootmode - this isnt hard, especially on the bench.

Having immo switched on does make bench flashing a bit harder (Nef needs the immo to authorize access before you can flash over ODB - most bench rigs dont have cluster or pickup ring, so you would need to immo-off if you wanted to bench flash using nef, alternatively you can just flash it in the car).

that's interesting about the keys -- i thought those were matched to the cluster, and as long as you adapt the ECU to the cluster, then the keys would work.

I think you are correct for an immo2 system, but not for immo3.

The problem is that with immo3, you have a 7-byte cluster code, which is passed from the ECU to the cluster when the cluster is adapted to the ECU. This code is then embedded in the keys when they are paired. This means that for a given ecu, only virgin keys, or keys that have previously been paired with that ECU can be paired to it.

You can work around this Smiley

Either immo-off one of your ECUs (my approach), so you can easily write it on the bench, and so it just works in the car (and the immo light doesnt flash on the cluster, because the key is authenticated with the cluster).

Alternatively, clone the data out of your eeprom, into your new ECU.

The only complication is that your current ECU is APR chipped, make sure you read up on them before you start trying to read/write this ecu as there may be some complications. I think the general advice is to back up the eeprom on the APR ecu before you try and connect to it with nefmoto, otherwise even reading it can kill your APR tune.

If you didnt want to touch the APR ecu at all, if you can read a dump from the cluster (using vag comander or vag eeprom tool) then you can extract enough info from it to write into your used 032PL ECU so it will work with the immo and start the car.
gitman

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 02:22:56 PM »

while i am able to connect to the APR ECU with Nefmoto, the APR chip prevents me from reading the flash. I haven't tried the 95040 cmd line tool yet. I did try APR's Immobilizer clone tool, which I believe also reads off the 95040, and it was able to read it, so i'm pretty confident that i'll at least be able to get my source immo data.

as for bench flash / boot mode, i've seen folks make their own harnesses, requiring an original engine harness specific to the ECU. granted, it was a pretty old thread i was reading, so is that still the case or is there something ready-made for that?

thanks for all the help!
turboat

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »

I think most people make their own flashing lead, I just cut the plugs off a car in the scrap yard. There might be someone that sells them on here.
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6616.0title=
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: