Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A dumb idea.  (Read 11199 times)
Terror_Flynn

« on: September 12, 2014, 01:44:06 PM »

How much different is VAG and Volvo Me7?

I got an stupid idea about using an 5 cyl turbo engine from Volvo in a Audi.

Could you merge the Volvo and Audi engine-harness and make it work without too much work?

Haha! Too much thinking and beer for me.

Audi A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro -2001 (AWT)
daniel2345

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »

The Problem is not the harness, its the can bus. Complete different approach and com stack.

It can work, if you disable any outside communication in the ecu and immobilising system.

I would say have another beer and think moore about boobs and less about cars Wink
316LV

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »

IIRC the diesels that Volvo used between 81-86 were Audi motors, or at least VAG...

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:26:05 AM »

The hassle with messing with can-bus seems like a lot of work. It was just a silly fantasy.

You mean Volvo D24 diesel engine?
Yes, it has the same bolt pattern as Audi.
But I think a VAG 1.9TDI are much better.

My dumb idea popped up in my head because the Me7 inline5 turbo engine from Volvo is very easy to find and for a good price for me. And also performance parts.
The sound of i5 turbo in an Audi is how it should be.

But I have thought about the vr5 engine (non-turbo) also. You can find the engine longitudinal mounted in Vw Passat b5 4-motion, it should bolt-on, on a quattro gearbox if you use the OEM adapter plate (I think).

The 4-motion and quattro system is essential the same on Passat -96 to -01.

Vr5 engine is 2.3L 170ps NA. Uses Me7.1, could be cool to convert for turbo.
I think I have picked up a vr5 ecu from the junkyard. I wonder if somehow you could make the ecu "see" and control boost? Inject turbo specific code from an me7 turbo ecu?

turboat

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:43:22 AM »

The hassle with messing with can-bus seems like a lot of work. It was just a silly fantasy.

You mean Volvo D24 diesel engine?
Yes, it has the same bolt pattern as Audi.
But I think a VAG 1.9TDI are much better.

My dumb idea popped up in my head because the Me7 inline5 turbo engine from Volvo is very easy to find and for a good price for me. And also performance parts.
The sound of i5 turbo in an Audi is how it should be.

I've also thought about this a few times over the years when I was running a C4 A6 - the audi AEL 5-pot TDI was used in volvos into the late 1990s, at the same time as they were doing them with the T5 petrol engine - so I was wondering if they used a similar block and if the T5 would bolt up to the audi box. Obvs I never did that and bought a 2.7t instead, but its a fun idea Smiley

Im less of a fan of the VR engines and the VR5 in general, it uses a huge amount of fuel and doesnt produce much power, but there was a thread on a VR6turbo S4 here: http://audisrs.com/ftopic6377-0.php
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 01:27:42 PM »

The vr5 engine because of the 5-pot sound. Of course it most be turboconverted for good power.

Hmm... The Audi/Volvo diesel 5-pot is an idea.
That engine was in Volvo 850. And the block also have the same bolt-pattern as Audi.

Terror_Flynn

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »

Volvo t5 engine does not bolt up to an Audi gearbox.
You could use s2/s4 head on Volvo 5-pot diesel block, with some modifications, or just use the whole s2/s4 engine.

If I should do a engine swap I don't want to use the Audi 2.2t engine, it has been done before (in a b5 chassi) and the engine is not as common and more expensive for me.

turboat

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 02:29:22 PM »

Volvo t5 engine does not bolt up to an Audi gearbox.

Damn, glad I didnt bother pulling the AEL out.
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »

Yeah, but that's not the biggest problem for me, I could make the t5 bolt up to an Audi gearbox. I know shops and people that has the skills to cut and weld so you can change bellhousing so the bolt pattern is correct. Then figure out some more small stuff that has to work.

For me all the electronics and hassle with ecu and stuff feels like a bigger problem for me.
But at that point it is maybe better to go with an standalone ecu.

ddillenger

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »

Yeah, but that's not the biggest problem for me, I could make the t5 bolt up to an Audi gearbox. I know shops and people that has the skills to cut and weld so you can change bellhousing so the bolt pattern is correct. Then figure out some more small stuff that has to work.

For me all the electronics and hassle with ecu and stuff feels like a bigger problem for me.
But at that point it is maybe better to go with an standalone ecu.

Stupid question, but why not an 07K?

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 05:24:50 PM »

The 07K engine for me is expensive and hard to find.

If I should do a engine swap at some point, the engine of choice must be easy to find and for a low prize.
Because I don't want to spend a lot of money on a used stock engine and time searching for one when I grenade the engine that is already in use.

turboat

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 06:04:25 AM »

Always a good plan to line up the next engine before you blow the current one Wink There was a S6 with the 5pot turbo on UK ebay yesterday for not much, but looks like its sold Sad
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 12:52:17 PM »

Okey, I have read an VR5 ECU in boot-mode and got a .BIN file.
And uploded it here:
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6954.msg64235#msg64235

Is it possible to mod the .BIN file so it could handle boost if you do a turboconversion on the VR5 engine?

ddillenger

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »

Okey, I have read an VR5 ECU in boot-mode and got a .BIN file.
And uploded it here:
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6954.msg64235#msg64235

Is it possible to mod the .BIN file so it could handle boost if you do a turboconversion on the VR5 engine?

Of course it's POSSIBLE.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »

Hehe! Okey  Wink

I understand it must be quite difficult and needs someone with in-depth knowledge about ME7.5 to do a mod like that. A lot of reverse engineering.

But in a very simpel explanation. Could you use code, maps from an turbo-ecu and somehow inject that in this VR5 ECU and do a lot of trix to get it to work?
Or does the VR5 ECU not have the correct hardware on the PCB to control boost and all that?

I am a curious noob.  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: