Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cigarette Lighter circuit and other issues  (Read 5168 times)
shane0569

« on: September 22, 2014, 05:57:12 PM »

Hey, I need a little help here.

I have a 2001 A6 2.7T and I'm having what seems to be some electrical issues.
Here is a list of symptoms being displayed by the car. Some of which may or may not be related to the first issue...

1. Cigarette lighter fuse blows immediately upon inserting a new fuse.
    -I have removed the front and rear cigarette lighter sockets completely and still showing a direct short between the three wires that plug into the sockets.
2. Red display lights all around car (window switches, radio/climate buttons, vents, etc...) not working
3. Red "brake" indicator light lit up on cluster
    -I have tried manually pressing button that is attached to hand brake inside the center console and it doesn't seem to make a difference. (Brake fluid filled too)
4. Front passenger door being shown as open on LCD screen and dome light stays on.
    -Checked wiring going between body and door.
5. Oil temp gauge not moving.
    -Replaced sending unit in oil pan. (Not sure if this is even related, I haven't done a continuity check from the sending unit to the ECU yet.)

I tried swapping out the Comfort Control Module with a know good one and it didn't make the passenger door open indication go away or the dash lights light up...although I forgot to try inserting a new cigarette lighter fuse while the other CCM was installed. Cigarette lighter circuit have something to do with those lights?

I guess I'm really just looking for a common denominator here...a place to continue my search.

I have the Bentley, but the wiring diagrams aren't super detailed for stuff like this.
turboat

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:02:13 AM »

Nfi what is up with that, right now I'm praying mine doesn't do anything like that!

If I had to start guessing I would investigate the earths, as most Wierd electrical issues are caused by earths, although with your cigarette lighter short, I would suspect you've got some melted wiring somewhere - has this car always done this, or did it start blowing the fuse recently?if so, what did you do just before that? If you have a sniff around, can you smell burnt plastic?

With regards to wiring diagrams, get a copy of elsawin, from ebay or other places, or sign up to vags Erwin site and download wiring diagrams, it's like €5 for 1 hours access.
gofast

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:26:37 AM »

Nfi what is up with that, right now I'm praying mine doesn't do anything like that!

If I had to start guessing I would investigate the earths, as most Wierd electrical issues are caused by earths, although with your cigarette lighter short, I would suspect you've got some melted wiring somewhere - has this car always done this, or did it start blowing the fuse recently?if so, what did you do just before that? If you have a sniff around, can you smell burnt plastic?

With regards to wiring diagrams, get a copy of elsawin, from ebay or other places, or sign up to vags Erwin site and download wiring diagrams, it's like €5 for 1 hours access.

Thanks for the info...unfortunately I actually purchased the car like this...so not quite sure what led to it.
shane0569

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 04:41:20 PM »

Does anyone know physically where the wire from the cigarette lighter fuse goes on its way to the cigarette lighter sockets? Very difficult to trace.
shane0569

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:33:16 PM »

Well, I discovered that some of the wires going under the center console back the the rear cigarette lighter socket and such got crimped under the bracket that supports the armrest/console.

So, be aware of those wires if you are ever re-installing the center console...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: