Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Cloning ECUs ME7.3.1  (Read 39262 times)
Neno-ri

« on: September 24, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »

Hi.

I've taken one extra ecu to play with so I was wondering if it is possible to do the following:
1. Read my ECU flash
2. Read my ECU eeprom (immo)
3. Write all this on the new ecu.

Basically I want to do a clone of my car ecu.

Thanks!

redtop

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 05:54:30 AM »

There are different hardware versiones of the ME7.3.1. The most obvious is that the 4-cyl ECUs don't have outputs for a 6-cyl engine, but there might be other differences as well. I did try to put the FLASH and EEPROM from a GTA on a 4-cyl ME7.3.1. Car did start, but naturally only ran on four cylinders.

A straight clone might work. You can also try to make the ECU virgin. I've just written a small paper on how to "virginize" the ME7.3.1. Seems to work alright when I test it on the bench, and did work with the GTA/4-cyl test as mentioned, but it would be interesting if more people did test it.

I attach the PDF with the guide. Please report back your results, and also report if anything is wrong in the guide.

Neno-ri

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »

The spare ECU came from 2.0ts engine. My car is 1.6ts. So everything should be the same except for one additional driver that 2.0 ecu should have to control the variable length intake.

I'll go trough the guide and try to make a virgin ecu. Will let you know the results.

Tnx!

Neno-ri

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »

I've had a look at the guide. It is pretty clear, however I have one question. How do you know the memory type of the eeprom?
When I was downloading the eeprom I selected 95040 and got a successful read. It worked on both ECUs.
But when I compare the hex with the one in the manual it looks different.

I've attached one bin so you can have a look.

ddillenger

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 12:47:59 PM »

I've had a look at the guide. It is pretty clear, however I have one question. How do you know the memory type of the eeprom?
When I was downloading the eeprom I selected 95040 and got a successful read. It worked on both ECUs.

Open the ecu. Read the numbers on the eeprom.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
redtop

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 01:16:07 PM »

I used trial and error. Read as 95080 and you will find that there's more information in the EEPROM past address 0200h. Reading and writing as 95080 seems to do the job fine.

ME7.3.1 is a hybrid ECU. I tried identifying the bare dye chips on the ECU hybrid under a microscope, but I couldn't find any readable markings. The protective silicon coating blurs the picture, and the microscope I have access to is limited in magnification. If anyone has better equipment and can identify the bare dye chips, any help is most welcome!
Neno-ri

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »

I used trial and error. Read as 95080 and you will find that there's more information in the EEPROM past address 0200h. Reading and writing as 95080 seems to do the job fine.

ME7.3.1 is a hybrid ECU. I tried identifying the bare dye chips on the ECU hybrid under a microscope, but I couldn't find any readable markings. The protective silicon coating blurs the picture, and the microscope I have access to is limited in magnification. If anyone has better equipment and can identify the bare dye chips, any help is most welcome!

I tried reading all formats. I agree, there are more data after 0200h. When you read as 95P08, all the data after 0200h are filled with FF. When you read as 95080 you get some data after 0200h. When you read as 95160 you get exactly double of 95080.

So I'd say looks like 95080 Smiley

I've compared it to the file in the manual. The virgin line in this immo looks like only for address 0068h. And the checksum calculation works for this line. The line with 0058h doesn't compute. I've attached the bin so you can have a look.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:50:53 PM by Neno-ri » Logged

redtop

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 02:07:25 AM »

I tried reading all formats. I agree, there are more data after 0200h. When you read as 95P08, all the data after 0200h are filled with FF. When you read as 95080 you get some data after 0200h. When you read as 95160 you get exactly double of 95080.

So I'd say looks like 95080 Smiley

I've compared it to the file in the manual. The virgin line in this immo looks like only for address 0068h. And the checksum calculation works for this line. The line with 0058h doesn't compute. I've attached the bin so you can have a look.

That's strange! All the EEPROMs I have read from ME7.3.1 have had the two duplicated identical lines. Was it the same result on both your ECUs?
Neno-ri

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 02:15:09 AM »

I didn't check the second ECU yet. I've just read the spare one. I can check the original one today when I get home. I'll let you know.

Neno-ri

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 09:32:22 AM »

Same with the other ECU...

redtop

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »

Same with the other ECU...

Really strange.  Huh
I'll put together all the ME7.3.1 eeprom dumps I have as a reference and post them. Don't have the time until after the weekend though.
redtop

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 01:20:12 AM »

Here's all of the eeprom dumps I have at the moment. They all have the duplicated lines, and two of the dumps wasn't read me, but from two different Alfisti.

Neno-ri, did you use the exactly same command line as in my guide?
Neno-ri

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 01:31:30 AM »

Here's all of the eeprom dumps I have at the moment. They all have the duplicated lines, and two of the dumps wasn't read me, but from two different Alfisti.

Neno-ri, did you use the exactly same command line as in my guide?

I've used exactly the same command line. I have no idea we have this difference.

redtop

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 01:39:08 AM »

I've used exactly the same command line. I have no idea we have this difference.

It might be a difference in the ECUs . Your two ECUs have different P/N from the ones I have, so we can't compare them.

It will be interesting to here if you succeed with the cloning.
Neno-ri

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 01:41:10 AM »

It might be a difference in the ECUs . Your two ECUs have different P/N from the ones I have, so we can't compare them.

It will be interesting to here if you succeed with the cloning.

Yesterday I finalized the cloning. Today or tomorrow I will try the ECU on the car.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: