Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dedicated bench port so you can leave the ECU in the car and still bench flash  (Read 15914 times)
ericpaulyoung

I could not find any posts on this, but it may be an obvious thing that I am misunderstanding. If this is better posted in the newbe section, just let me know.

OK, so I am new to the bench flashing, and would like to make it quicker to flash the car then go for a drive. Is it possible for me to pull my ECU and solder a 12 pin connector to the pads used to BDM? Then just put a rubber gland seal on the wires coming out of the ECU plastic box so that water cannot get it. The plan would be to reinstall it in the car, and when I need to BDM, I would just disconnect the car battery so that the ECU is powered only by the CMD box, and I can just BDM the ECU sitting in the car as if it was sitting on a bench.

epy
smelly240

What kind of cable are u using for flashing through obd port?  Or are you just bdm?
nyet
Administrator

At some point, it would be best to just get an emulator setup...

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ericpaulyoung

Would an emulator allow the same level of direct access to the chips?

epy
ericpaulyoung

OK. Here is my first attempt. I must say that soldering on the circuit board is tougher than I expected and I lifted a couple of traces which made it a bitch to get it soldered back on. But in the end it works fine. I will do my other ECU the same way but with a longer lead. Now I just connect directly to the BDM100 without a rack or anything, and I can leave the little connector in the engine compartment and BDM flash without taking out the ECU anymore.

I just used some 10 wire flat cable with a 10 pin 2x5.

Smiley

ddillenger

Next time I suggest soldering a header to the board. Then plug the cable into that. Much easier to deal with Smiley

As for lifting pads, lower your heat.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
99pwr

I do not suggest you to use long cables, you have electrical interferences and the car will not go well.
ericpaulyoung

I do not suggest you to use long cables, you have electrical interferences and the car will not go well.

Good info. I was planning on having a long lead going into the cabin so I can just plug in from inside the car. But I will probably just go back to the idea of having a short pigtail in the ECU area.

epy
ericpaulyoung

Here is the second ECU. It came out a lot better after my practice round on the first ECU. I just cut a slot in the case that I will silicone shut, and not I never have to pull the ECU again (hopefully).

ericpaulyoung

I am really slow. I totally missed what you meant by emulator. I will go check it out. If you have a link to a good starting point, it would be great.

Thanks
EPY
ddillenger

I am really slow. I totally missed what you meant by emulator. I will go check it out. If you have a link to a good starting point, it would be great.

Thanks
EPY

When nye speaks, assume it's ME7 based Tongue

There is no economical emulation for MED9.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
ericpaulyoung

I guess my emulation will be driving the car and pulling over to BDM a change.

k0mpresd

not to hate at all, but what is the point? bdm is really only needed for a full backup at first and then recovery if required.
med9 can easily be flashed over obd, is quite stable, and if bad flashed, just reflash over obd again.
ericpaulyoung

Mostly just to try something new. But also because it is a lot faster. Flashing OBD by Maestro takes 15 minutes. BDN should be more like 1 or 2 minutes. That is a huge difference.
EPY
ericpaulyoung

Plus it should be more stable. What I mean us using clone OBD hardware is not always very consistent. But I don't read any issues with BDM100 under XP. So I should be better off this way.

EPY
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: