Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Opinion on ME9.7 tuning an M272E35 engine  (Read 5745 times)
daniel2345

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2023, 01:38:03 AM »

Elaborate some more on the connection between MAF readings and mixture target. Go on.
Keep digging that grave.

If anything my decade long stint into calibration taught me is that anyone who uses "feel" or "smooth" when describing engine tuning, does not know shit.

Hmm, don't see a problem here, neither any grave Wink

Raising ignition for better octane. Knocking somewhere, maf readings are dropping there.

Raising fuel, knocking prevented, maf readings raising.
More torque on that specific engine point. Not touching cams.

That worked in my two decades of non-pro calibration in my spare time for most of the cars including that with M272 3.5
Im talking for getting max torque, for which this engine is designed. Not others including the ones you mentioned.

In my opinion you could respect that there are other possibilities than a dyno to make a car owner happy. What if you have a nice looking curve on dyno but owner is not happy with the real feel?

I totally agree that you only make best graph and real numbers with a dyno. But if that is not the goal, then there are other possibilities for improvement.

Call that retarded, call it not knowing anything, call it what ever you want.

Why not wait what thread creator reports about richer or leaner Lambda? Sure he will not have good looking graph, maybe less power. But a smile each time he accelerates his car. Maybe some day he will go to a dyno to make it even better.
prj

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2023, 03:18:51 AM »

Hmm, don't see a problem here, neither any grave Wink

Raising ignition for better octane. Knocking somewhere, maf readings are dropping there.

Raising fuel, knocking prevented, maf readings raising.
More torque on that specific engine point. Not touching cams.
Knock or mixture does not affect air flow through the engine on N/A unless the exhaust is hugely restricted. You would have to create artificial conditions in a lab to see it.
It affects combustion efficiency or the power extracted from the same amount of air.
On a turbocharged engine retarding ignition and having knock will always increase airflow, because there is more energy left over for the turbocharger.
On a N/A engine it makes no difference unless you put a restrictor in the exhaust in a lab.

If you want minimum EGT (thus smallest possible volume of exhaust) -> theoretical maximum airflow on N/A through restrictive exhaust, then you should run lambda on rich combustion limit (0.65 or so), does that make max power?
Of course not.

To know what the optimal fueling is you need a power measurement, there is nothing to discuss here.

In my opinion you could respect that there are other possibilities
I respect facts.

You are pushing bullshit with no correlation with applied physics.

I have called out people like you on this forum on their bullshit for a very long time, and I will continue to call you out.
Push your snake oil somewhere else.

That worked in my two decades of non-pro calibration in my spare time for most of the cars including that with M272 3.5
Just goes to show that you can play excel calculator for 20 years without having a clue of how the combustion process in the engine works, and what an air pump is.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 03:34:49 AM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
daniel2345

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2023, 04:46:04 AM »

Knock or mixture does not affect air flow through the engine on N/A unless the exhaust is hugely restricted. You would have to create artificial conditions in a lab to see it.
It affects combustion efficiency or the power extracted from the same amount of air.

See, you think that is the truth. I doubt that it is true under any circumstances. Two opinions.

Here is my contrary opinion:

Bad combustion efficiency due to knock retard leads to less energy moving the engine inertia. This meaning slower engine rpm increase under similar load conditions. resulting in less air in the NA engine at a given point in acceleration phase. since the airflow is correlated to engine speed on NA engine very much.

This results in less torque at a specific point during acceleration and the feeling of a weaker car/engine.

I mainly work on forced induction engines, right. And my expertise is embedded software development.

What i observed on non-pro calibration on NA engines was what i posted. My explanation is written above. Might be wrong explanation, but the observed and the approach derived from it stands from my side. Going richer with increased ignition using higher octane fuel in rational steps might help and helped me on that specific engine. Helped me on many Volvo B5254S, B6304S and B8444S. Helped on LS3... 0,85 is the point of highest possible torque. Need to discuss this too? Surprisingly on all these engines including M272 it was the value for best acceleration and MAF readings during acceleration.

That's why watching MAF readings during that process helped me to find the "sweet spot" of best acceleration.

Again, im not talking about highest power at high rpm. Not about the prettiest curve. im talking about peak torque in an acceleration run. I have the impression, you intentionally mix that up?

Don't know why. To call me out? Do that.
To justify your Dyno? No need, it has its eligibility.
Not spilling any poison here.
Giving information about what worked for me to others - that's what a forum is for. And can be for in parallel to your usage of it to advertise your business Wink

Luckily it is up to everyone by itself decide to use that approach, or go to your shop or do something completely different Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 04:50:43 AM by daniel2345 » Logged
prj

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2023, 05:20:11 AM »

See, you think that is the truth. I doubt that it is true under any circumstances. Two opinions.
There is no opinion. There is fact, and your fairytales.

Bad combustion efficiency due to knock retard leads to less energy moving the engine inertia. This meaning slower engine rpm increase under similar load conditions. resulting in less air in the NA engine at a given point in acceleration phase. since the airflow is correlated to engine speed on NA engine very much.
I really recommend picking up a few books and improving your level of ignorance. What you said here is complete and utter bullshit...
You are trying to invent your own definition of an air pump and physics here.

There is nothing else to respond to it. It's like arguing with a flat-earther.

While Trying to sound cool throwing around random technical jargon might get you rep with your buddies in real life, on here there are people who actually know how the internals of the engine work.
Trying to cast facts as an "opinion" while talking complete nonsense is not going to fly here. Quit the bullshit.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 05:28:03 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
daniel2345

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2023, 11:10:58 PM »

Ok, as i said. My opinion / explanation for the observed might be wrong.

I double checked some recent logs. On an LS3 V8, not realy that close to an M272, i know, i had a rise of the mean airflow by 3,5% when dialing Lambda from 0,92 to 0,84..0,81 while increasing ignition some degrees.

How can that be explained? The process was two or more runs with same software, same gear, same evening, same people in car. Minutes after each run. Mean value of Maf readings over rpm, mean of the runs.

Same approach gave nearly no changed MAF values on an SLK 55 AMG NA, but still a faster time 0..100 Km/h measured with V-box.

So where is the error in my explanation? Engine speeded up by energy from combustion. The more energy, the faster speeding up per time. Is that agreed or an error already in your opinion?

I realy would like to understand instead of throwing stuff at each other.

prj

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2023, 02:31:59 AM »

I double checked some recent logs. On an LS3 V8, not realy that close to an M272, i know, i had a rise of the mean airflow by 3,5% when dialing Lambda from 0,92 to 0,84..0,81 while increasing ignition some degrees.
How can that be explained?
As said above, on NA engine if exhaust is very restrictive, then anything you do to lower EGT (which lowers the volume of the exhaust, because cooler gas has less volume) will increase airflow through the engine.
The richer you set the mixture and the more you advance the ignition in that case, the higher the airflow will be. Does not tell you anything about the power whatsoever, because the highest airflow with a very restrictive exhaust will be at combustion limit, but certainly the engine will not make the most power there.

Another thing is confirmation bias, it can easily be that after a few runs the intake has cooled down and was less heat soaked.
This is why a conditioned dyno cell helps where the car is being cooled all the time and you can actually compare two runs.

Hell, on the street a change in wind affects MAF readings. The MAF absolute reading is actually completely irrelevant for tuning, especially fine tuning, most engines.

So where is the error in my explanation? Engine speeded up by energy from combustion. The more energy, the faster speeding up per time. Is that agreed or an error already in your opinion?
This is complete bullshit in this context, see above. Crankshaft acceleration rate itself does not have any impact on airflow. You can even do a reverse pull on the dyno, and it's all the same on NA.
What affects it is EGT, but best EGT is not best power, far from it.

You are observing changes in exhaust density and/or changes due to flawed measuring methodology. Then coming up with random things not rooted in reality to explain them.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 02:40:41 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
daniel2345

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2023, 11:39:49 AM »

As said above, on NA engine if exhaust is very restrictive, then anything you do to lower EGT (which lowers the volume of the exhaust, because cooler gas has less volume) will increase airflow through the engine.
The richer you set the mixture and the more you advance the ignition in that case, the higher the airflow will be. Does not tell you anything about the power whatsoever, because the highest airflow with a very restrictive exhaust will be at combustion limit, but certainly the engine will not make the most power there.

Yes, that sounds like e better explanation which i didn't thought of so far. Thanks.

Makes even more sense since the exhaust of the LS3 Crate Engine seems to be very restrictive. Should have 525 Hp with factory Dataset, on dyno it only had around 470 Hp.

Same goes for the Volvo exhaust on 5 and 6 Cylinder.

SLK 55 AMG has obviously a good exhaust.

So maybe this method only leads to identify a very restrictive exhaust, which a dyno can do probably faster than driving around all night full accelerating (which is fun too). Cheesy

What is left are sometimes (not always) faster acceleration times on some NA engines with Lambda around 0,85 in mid rpm range instead of 1,00. Probably in cases where factory Dataset is very "emission friendly".

I still need to find out why my explanation / opinion is so much "bullshit", but no need to flood this thread even more.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 11:44:57 AM by daniel2345 » Logged
nght

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2023, 09:46:39 PM »

Thanks for sharing the info to both, prj, honestly I appreciate all your feedback because it is actually constructive, just that sometimes I have to filter out comments that feel you are throwing stuff at the others for no specific reason, at least in my case I have never challenge your knowledge or feedback, just shared what I did and asked for opinions as I think this forum is way more technically oriented than others I have read over the years, and basically that was the reason I started my thread just asking for opinions / feedback stating it was just for learning, not for mere power or tuning a NA which I get is a lot of a effort for probably unnoticeable power (probably is more about changing how the power is managed than making more power) to avoid getting the standard answer of not worth it, don't do it, etc. Anyways, thanks both.

So, back to the origin of this thread, I got the car back to stock as I has having some weird issues and as daniel my base come from development and automation, so wanted to go back and depart from a  known stable base, but nothing to do with tuning, feels like I'm having some wiring issue (or something around that area), ign coils not working, misfires and so on, thought it was a dead driver on one of the ME9.7 I had, so took my previous one that was a known working unit, and yet same issue. So solving that first, then getting back to this again, meanwhile bought the CFF plugin from EVC as I wanted to flash my ECU (with the tools I have) without opening, so KTAG was not an option, so learned how to do it with vediamo yesterday after a few sweat tries got it working.

will get back to the thread hopefully soon as I get that stuff sorted
prj

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2023, 12:29:47 AM »

What is left are sometimes (not always) faster acceleration times on some NA engines with Lambda around 0,85 in mid rpm range instead of 1,00.

Yes, 0.85 will probably make more power than 1.00 on most engines.
But maybe 0.9 will make more. Or in case of overstroke engines they often need 0.8 or lower.

You have no way to find that out without a well repeated power measurement. Certainly not by looking at measured airmass or anything else.

Log your car properly.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: