Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Galletto "Boot Mode Not Active" - WTF?  (Read 26763 times)
FlyboyS4

« on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:01 PM »

This seems like it should be straight forward, but I cannot get past that alert.

What I've done and tried thus far.

1. Have the eBay Galletto cable and accompanying software disc.

2. Using the current FTDI drivers since I cannot get the system to remove them so I can try to install older drivers.  On an alternate computer I installed the cable with a 2005 era FTDI driver, but the software wouldn't communicate with the car at all.  Got a different alert for that one.

3. Printed out the instructions on AZ and followed it step by step; acc. off, ground to Pin 24, acc. on 2-3 sec, remove wire from ground, etc.

4. I've tried a ground wire to the bolt at the top of the strut, my trickle charger is happy using it as a ground, and it is picky about where I connect it, so I think that is good.  I also tried running a wire to the battery negative terminal.

5. Tried two different ECU's, same results each time.

6. I've tried starting the software, then doing the ground/acc. stuff following the software prompt.  Done the ground/acc. before starting the software and just hit ok at the prompts.

At this point I don't know what else to try.  Any suggestions?  This is all on a 2.7T S4.
bazaa

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »

What pins have you got connected on your ECU ?

I have found in the past that if i have not connected pin 62 (12v) I could not get into bootmode.

I always ground pin 24 then apply power to the ecu then press read and dont remove the ground until it starts the read ,this works for me.
FlyboyS4

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »

I'm trying to connect with the ECU in the car.

If I leave the ground wire attached and hit ok on the software I still get the prompt that "Boot Mode Not Active".

The other prompt I get, when using the WinXP install with the older FTDI (2005) drivers, is "Opening Port Impossible".

bazaa

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »

are you trying to read or write to the ecu

Does your galletto id the ecu.

if you are reading the ecu have you tried in normal mode ie Benzina (your model) .

Barry
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:59:47 PM by bazaa » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »

I always ground pin 24 then apply power to the ecu then press read and dont remove the ground until it starts the read ,this works for me.

IMO this isn't a good idea... read the datasheet for the CPU. The bootmode pin only has to be grounded for a short time during power up.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
bazaa

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »

this is probably 5 seconds max (how long is a short time ? )

nyet ,I am not saying you are wrong just what works for me no problems so far.

I have found that sometimes less time grounded and it will not allow bootmode ,

I dont know why, maybe the cheap hardware/software not detecting the change correctly and just saying bootmode not active .

But in the end has never lets me down .

Barry
kls

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 03:06:09 PM »

I've had some ME7.1.x ECUs that were a pain to get into boot mode. Some required the removal of a resistor to do it. The ME7.5 ECUs I have tried always go into boot mode easily though.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 03:14:23 PM »

But in the end has never lets me down .

Hey, whatever works, works Smiley

Just saying, "bootmode" is something the CPU goes into, and shouldn't be a function of whatever software you are using to connect to it.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
FlyboyS4

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »

I've had some ME7.1.x ECUs that were a pain to get into boot mode. Some required the removal of a resistor to do it. The ME7.5 ECUs I have tried always go into boot mode easily though.

Since this is happening to me with two different ECU's I don't think it is a case of a difficult ECU.

I don't have any problems connecting with the Nefmoto software, but I'd like to know I can connect with the Galletto cable if the need arises.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »

Shouldn't have to run a wire anywhere... try tweezers where the switch is in this picture

ECUx Plot

FlyboyS4

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 07:17:44 PM »

Using tweezers didn't lead to success.

I'm using the following driver version for the USB Serial Port and USB Serial Converter, FTDI 2.8.14.0 dated 3/18/2011.

I press ECU Data, sometimes I will try entering boot mode before pressing this, other times I'll press ECU Data and then follow the prompt:

The display says: "DATA READING"  "START DATA READING..."

The following alert box pops up:
"Attention Before To Continue: Remove the Fuse No 11, Put IL PIN 24 FLASH EPROM to MASS, GIVE FEEDING AND REMOVE TO MASS PIN 24 FLASH, END TO CONTINUE"

Follow instructions if I haven't already tried to enter boot mode, then Press Ok

Display Says: "BOOT MODE INACTIVE"

Alert box pops up:
"TURN 10 SEC OFF AND TURN ON THE DASHBOARD WAIT 10 SEC BEFORE OF CONTINUE"

Press Ok on that after cycling power and I seem to end the program at that point.
Matt Danger

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:30:54 PM »

I've had similar problems be a result of a driver conflict. In my case it was a conflict with the APR Cheetah cable driver. Even if I removed the driver I could not get it to work. I tried a few different machines and it wasn't until I tried a fresh virtual machine that it worked.

I know you said you tried it on an alternate computer, but did that computer ever have any other cable drivers installed? Do you have access to a computer that has never had any flashing software or cable drivers installed?
FlyboyS4

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 03:44:04 AM »

I tried creating a virtual machine and that is where I got the "Opening Port Impossible" message.  I'm puzzled by that since I've created an alternate virtual machine from which I can get the "Boot Mode Inactive" prompt, but that VM uses the more current FTDI driver and has had the blue cable installed for use with Nefmoto.

I was thinking there might be a conflict, thus I created the clean VM.  It seems that something is missing from the new VM.  Perhaps I should try the latest FTDI drivers with it, since no other cable or software has yet been loaded.

Matt Danger

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 07:14:50 AM »

Which drivers are the ones that come with your cable? The "recent" ones or the 2005 ones?

Here is a copy of the Galletto software & driver, maybe give that driver a try?

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,639.msg5371.html#msg5371
FlyboyS4

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »

The drivers with the CD are the same as in that linked file.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: