Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Double check voltage output before bench connecting  (Read 15820 times)
mounty

« on: October 21, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »

Well just as a friendly reminder to us all diy ers out there.  Double check your voltage and amperage output before hooking up to your ecu on the bench. 
I let my mom borrow my battery charger for a few days and didn't think anything of it since I've done It before more than once successful. Plugged cable into bench harness. Plugged cable I to computer. Plugged ecu into bench harness. Set my charger on 12v 2 amp. Hooked up power and when I turned my charger on I heard the transformer humming very loud. Looked at the amp gauge which was pegged at 100 plus amps.  So now I need a new charger. And a new tdi ecu as this one will no longer start the car. Yay me.
adam-

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:30:24 AM »

Current has nothing to do with it, the ECU will draw what it needs, providing the charger can give the minimum of what it needs.

Using a charger that can provide over 100 amps is seriously excessive though.  Sounds like there's a massive short though.

100 amps at 14 volts is over 1400 watts.  As you said, the ECU won't need more than an amp, so that's 12 watts. 

Provided the charger is outputting 12v and the harness is fine, there should be no problem.  I think the charger is broken though, and that's what's killed your ECU.
turboat

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:58:38 AM »

+1.

A car battery will push 70A+ for cranking and its fine to connect an ECU to that.
mounty

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »

Seeing as how the charger was set on 2 amp 12v charge and it still put out well over a hundred amps as the gauge was pegged 100+ I know it's my battery charger that killed my ecu. Especially since I had removed it from the car 5 minutes prior to that.

Now I have a tdi ecu that was a auto car.  Time to figure out how to deal with the immo.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »

Seeing as how the charger was set on 2 amp 12v charge

Don't use a charger as a power supply. Always a bad idea.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
MadCow

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 06:57:08 PM »

Next time use an old computer power supply, doesn't even have to be a good one, anything will work.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 07:09:09 PM »

You can even use a 12v-14v wallwart.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 07:11:35 PM »

You can even use a 12v-14v wallwart.

Can confirm

Source:

I am a walwart.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
mounty

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 01:58:00 AM »

So far a 14v 1.5 amp supply from a no longer needed walkie radio charger is doing the job.  New software is making it difficult to rea . But seems to be powering the ecu and I am able to read from mpps so I'm content.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: