Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: file for high mpg for road trip  (Read 13782 times)
lowvo

It's personal

« on: October 21, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »

I'm driving from Nashville to Indianapolis this weekend and wonder what would be some easy things to change to get high miles per gallon.  lower the requested boost and lean it out a to what? I know I control a lot of that with my right foot, but I have a heavy right foot :-)

Laugh at yourself
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 02:00:04 AM »

If it is just your foot, adjust the pedal map  Roll Eyes I would not suggest to run lean, especially on a long trip! You could lower the requested torque too, but dont mess with afr.

flaattire

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:43:20 AM »

You need to lean out the file to get real mileage improvements. Anything else you can do on a stock file with good driving.
lowvo

It's personal

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:55:54 AM »

I like the pedal map idea. and that's 1 vote for not running lean and one vote for running lean.  anyone else?

Laugh at yourself
adam-

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:01:52 AM »

I'm not sure if the ECU can support lean, why not go try it?  Like, I'm sure I read somewhere that stoich is it's max limit, might be wrong though.

So, if it's not, recalibrate the tables of Lamda and under 50% load, make it lean, to the point of 16ish AFR.

Monitor EGT's carefully and you might be able to squeeze in a little more timing. 

ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:42:41 AM »

You can't request leaner than stoich. Even if you could, these are narrowband cars.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »

Maybe one could adjust open loop to run lean and unplug the 02sensor  Huh lol
In my advice I consider "lean" to be leaner than stoich offcourse. I think you can better pay for the extra gas in your tank, if you can't afford driving it, don't  Grin

lowvo

It's personal

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 04:18:18 PM »

Meh, good advice I guess but I just dig the feeling of being effecient from time to time

Laugh at yourself
evo_9-3

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 02:51:22 AM »

Not really into the ME's, but on Trionic i've gained quite some with only adjusting ignition advance. 1 or 2 deg can make already quite some difference. But watch out for knocks when on petrol, and too high PCP when on E85.

Regarding running lean. A no go if you are running a cat but if possible (again i'm coming from trionic...) restrict closed loop to something like stationairy only. And have open loop, on cruise, aim for 17:1 or so.

But only attempt this if you have wbl and egt... otherwise it can become more expensive than all the gas/E85 you will ever save Wink
vwaudiguy

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »

You can't request leaner than stoich. Even if you could, these are narrowband cars.

I never saw what cars were mentioned in this thread, why did you say they are narrowband? Also as in "you can't request leaner than stoich" what versions of ME does this statement apply to?

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
ddillenger

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 12:54:23 PM »

I never saw what cars were mentioned in this thread, why did you say they are narrowband?

The original poster has a 2.7t. All 2.7t are narrowband.

Also as in "you can't request leaner than stoich" what versions of ME does this statement apply to?

All of them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:53:33 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
vwaudiguy

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 05:33:59 PM »

The original power has a 2.7t. All 2.7t are narrowband.

All of them.

Thanks for clearing that up, D!

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
turboat

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 02:08:50 AM »

+1 that's useful to know.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 11:10:22 AM »

All of them.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this statement that all versions of Motronic up to the latest direct injection MED17 can't request leaner than stoich. As elegant and over engineered an engine management system ME is this comes as a big surprise. Can you elaborate a little more, on why it isn't done, or possibly not possible?

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this statement that all versions of Motronic up to the latest direct injection MED17 can't request leaner than stoich. As elegant and over engineered an engine management system ME is this comes as a big surprise. Can you elaborate a little more, on why it isn't done, or possibly not possible?

They cheaped out and stuck with a narrow band design, and the wideband code is SYSDEF'd out in all of the 2.7t binaries.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: