Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: 1988 Mustang 2.7t swap(photo heavy)  (Read 74412 times)
Pwndbymustang

« on: October 23, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »

Hey my name is Brandon and I posted this in vwvortex a while ago but just started playing with nefmoto software and thought i should post this here too so people know what im working with. Anyways for a few years now I've been contemplating taking the 2.3 turbo motor out of my 1988 mustang and throwing the whole drivetrain from an a6 or s4 in. My buddy does car salvaging and he ended up with a 2.7t a6 automatic and i paid $800 to basically gut whatever i want out of it and give him the shell after. So anyways this is where I started.[/URL][/IMG]
So before i started on the actual swap I needed a new garage sooooo

my dad looking at something lol

a day later

after that the scissor trusses

my brother and dads friend

a bit of plywood

a bit of electrical

some floor paint

some awesome porkrinds from my old work(dads friend owns Porky Co)

and the fun begins

made a subframe/motor/tranny cart out of angle iron and lots of tig welding

removed the rear end all in one piece

got the drive train out and on the cart

removed everything necessary to me and got that shell out of here

now had to get the mustang prepped by removing everything basically lol

play with my puppy Turbo

3d print some nylon parts

it started getting cold

so heater was put it

so i was able to roll the motor under the mustang and see whats what and also it was nice in the garage for being 11 outside

a6 subframe was a lot lower then the mustangs frame

dog!

started working on the mounts using roll cage tubing and 1/8" plate i believe

lil bit of tig welding later

nuts were welded on plate before the pipes were welded on and this is after a long time welding and fitting and re-checking alignment of everything

all welded in

Pwndbymustang

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 11:41:19 AM »

lil paint and they look ok

rear motor subframe mounts that i call ice cream sandwiches. they got some holes drilled in and nuts welded

whole front subframe is now bolted on

removed AC then on to the strut towers and lots of cardboard for templates

welded up the side

templates for the filling sheets

dozens of welding hours later

springs were a lil wide so a hammer and sawzall fixed this lol

test fit of the audi column and pedals Wink

mount the steering rack partially(dont mind the 2 different style mounts lol)

time for the rear end, not that pretty but it works

strut mount

and shes welded in Wink did have to cut out a considerable amount of the stock frame to fit but o well lol

after a few months of welding cutting and gringing shes finally on the ground

and the shifter mounted real easy, yes its tiptronic lol

Turbo loves cars Tongue

Time for the part that would make or break the car, the wiring! I love working with wiring and this bitch has a lot of it lol this is the loom only under the dash for the cluster AC and all that other BS

label everything!

removed what i didnt need

this is what i was left with

now for test fitting and wire organization(the best i could without cutting it all up)

mount the fuse box with a ground stud welded on and the fuse box acts as a mount for the ECU case which i mounted in above

and she worked first try Smiley and started after a running the starter interlock relay swith wire to the TCU output wire

my brother made me a logo for the car

time for some wire organizing lol but dash fits and i need to make a cluster mount

got a new tranny with less then 80k on it

did a lil painting and it looks ok

welded the heater core pipes shut

played with the transmissions a lil bit

made a plate to mount the master cylinder and and pedals, also made an extension for the booster and had to extend the bolts and the threaded stud on the booster by 2.25"

put in a new LCD

but before that i went for a lil drive
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/BiturboMustang/media/2264_zps01f2f07e.mp4.html
Pwndbymustang

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »

got a new 1 piece diveshaft in

I welded in the roll cage ive had laying around for 6 years lol

started building a new exhaust with a ton of pie cut pieces

then it was time to take her to a big car show in milwaukee

and i won most unique which didnt surprise my friends much haha

after that fun stuff i ended up getting my subframe connectors because foxbodies are as ridged as rubber lol

after that it was off to the track with my new carbon fiber(real carbon) plate to hold my fake carbon switch panel lol

added a cooling fan and a PWM to control speed, it may b noisy but this fan helps a ton cuz it blows by your feet and to the window Wink

dog watching over jared lol

got a sweet hazard switch from ebay

merica! lol

and now time for the track, but found out on the freeway that my alignment isnt that great and i might need to re-balance 1 wheel but i wasnt going to let that stuff ruin my day so i said screw it im still running! It was also super busy at Great Lakes Dragaway that day for being a Sunday so i was only able to get in 2 passes. First one is the one i got down here and it was no launch, one front o2 sensor had no signal(still trying to find break in wire) and 7 psi(boost leak which i found 2 days after) Knowing that this drivetrain in the a6 its from would have ran a 15.7 stock and even with me having all these issues i dont think it went to bad. Nothing broke and it doesnt feel like it was really trying so i consider it a success Smiley:popcorn:

after that i figured out one of my front springs was broken and it was one reason it felt weird on bumps so now im putting in my brothers stock gti springs Tongue

heres my more recent video of the jfonz ecu in with still no extra boost
http://youtu.be/S7HBC8y1rJo
So right now i gotta get my alignment dead on and try to figure out my boost issues.
I have the stock ecu that im trying to figure out how to tune(flashed over to Lbox) and a jfonz stage 2(apparently) but when i read it i cant tell much difference if any besides that its a hitachi MAF(i swapped over) and the other is a bosch and they both are basically the same with boost. So if anyone has a bin that is up to like 20 psi or something like that on a basically stock setup id love to look at it to c where im going wrong and to test to c if its a boost leak or the tune. Thanks for looking Tongue
turboat

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »

Awesome build, love the dog  Grin

Check out the 2.7t community project for some guidance on the tune, no-one here will just hand out a map, but they'll help you create your own.
Pwndbymustang

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:58:54 PM »

Will do, thanks!
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 04:56:37 PM »

Very cool, I like how you created a simple workplace and then turned it into a professional engineering facility Shocked good luck with the project!

Pwndbymustang

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »

Thanks! I thought it would be a fun project, and there's a good chance of getting a shop in the next few weeks and I'll really be able to go to town on this ugly thing lol but I read thru the community project turboat suggested and I have a waaaaayyy better understanding of the pure basics now and i just tested a tune with just slightly more boost and I'm seeing 10psi on the gauge(crap gauge) but i want to up the boost a lil more to make it to the track tomorrow or Sunday to go for 13's at least lol
Three77

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 01:28:00 AM »

I'm super impressed with the amount of work you've put into this. Way to make a car uniquely yours!

Have fun, and listen to the members who have been around. There is a wealth of knowledge in this site.
adam-

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:47:28 AM »

You sir, are a hero with a welder! Well done!
phila_dot

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »

Please tell me after all that work there's a better transmission coming in the future.
ddillenger

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 12:17:12 PM »

Please tell me after all that work there's a better transmission coming in the future.

Compared to the AOD, that 5HP19 is a prince.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Pwndbymustang

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 04:31:20 PM »

lol yes an o1e will b going in. I started gathering parts for it Wink also went to the track today with just slightly more boost from following the stage 1 community project and got a 14.0 so its progress lol
evo_9-3

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 01:03:37 PM »

Awsome build! But of all the car / drive train combos you come up with this... what the h3ll... what where you thinking? Smoking? Lips sealed

Love your posts!
RJ@MethaphonicAutoLab

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 04:34:35 AM »

wow.. this is super.. KUDOS!  Grin
Pwndbymustang

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »

well went to the track today(44 outside) with a lil more revised tune, and still a bad boost leak or something but with a good 2500ish launch i ended up with this to end the season
http://youtu.be/R9Wvhkz6dd0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: