Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: P0601 checksum error before and after new ECU  (Read 11217 times)
atunicus

« on: December 15, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »

Hi,

I have a 2002 6 speed allroad.  Since I have owned the car it has always been throwing a P0601 checksum error that keeps the CEL on.

After much reading online and this forum in particular I obtained a stock bin file for my ECU.    I ran a checksum on the file before flashing just in case but no errors were found,  once flashed
the P0601 was still present. 

At this point I figured I just have a bad ECU so I purchased a compatible ECU from a 2002 automatic allroad.    I built a bench flash rig, cloned the immoblizer, and reflashed the ECU with the stock bin file.
Once again I am still seeing a P0601 checksum error on this "new" ECU.   

At this point it seems hard to believe that both ECUs are bad.    The car runs fine with both ECUs,  the CEL comes on after a few starts and stays on until the clear the code (it doesn't really clear its always present).

Has anyone else seen such a problem?   Attached is the bin file I have been using along with the stripped txt file containing the nefmoto logs.  (only contains the logs from the flash session).

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

http://www.filedropper.com/nefmotolog
http://www.filedropper.com/4z7907551l
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »

you should erase death code from EEPROM and then flash it via boot mode
use visual me7logger -> EEPROM tool
atunicus

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »

Thanks I did some more reading on "death code" and I just ran 95040sum.exe against my original EEPROM bin, it found an error and corrected it.

I am going to flash this new file tonight and see what happens.
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »

Thanks I did some more reading on "death code" and I just ran 95040sum.exe against my original EEPROM bin, it found an error and corrected it.

I am going to flash this new file tonight and see what happens.

The problem is not the checksum of the eeprom. It's the error stored in the eeprom. Read the understanding/retrofitting immobilizer sticky in the cluster section Smiley

It shows the issue, and how to fix it.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
atunicus

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »

I also read through the following post and looked at a pic that describes a couple of fields showing anything other than 0 will cause the P0601.

I opened my file with a hex editor and mine already shows 0's

Maybe I am missing something.

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2973.15

ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »

Please upload your eeprom and flash here (not offsite). I will look.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
atunicus

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 03:02:09 PM »

Both are attached.   The EEPROM is from before I ran a checksum on it.
atunicus

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 01:19:44 PM »

Update:

I haven't tried anything with my ECU yet but I did run 95040sum.exe against the original EEPROM bin from the new ECU and it came back clean.

If I run this against the EEPROM bin attached in this thread it does find an error and corrects it.   I was planning on reflashing the corrected bin last night but the rain here in my area stopped me.

I may get to it tonight but most likely I will have to wait until Friday.
ddillenger

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »

See how it says REVO in your eeprom? That's your problem. Either the ecu WAS Revo, or currently is. These files will fix your problem.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:49:47 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
atunicus

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »

I noticed that as well, must have had a custom tune on it at some point?

The odd thing is in order to pull the ECU out I had to use a dremel to cut slots into the security screws.   Maybe they just used an alligator clip on the back of the ECU without pulling it.
ddillenger

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »

I edited my post to include the repaired file. Use both of them on your ecu and there should be no issues.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
k0mpresd

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »

that ecu is no virgin.
atunicus

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 01:54:58 PM »

Thanks for the help.   Can you enlighten me on what you did to the files?
atunicus

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 02:00:02 PM »

I just looked into REVO dealer locator and the shop I bought the car from in Minneapolis MN is a revo dealer....

Makes sense, glad to get this figured out finally.   That annoying yellow light may go away yet.
ddillenger

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »

Thanks for the help.   Can you enlighten me on what you did to the files?

I copied your vin and immo id, as well as logins and lock codes into a new eeprom and checksummed it. Then I just uploaded that, and a stock 551L file for you.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: