Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 14 point seven spartan wideband install  (Read 10964 times)
kingkhalilz

« on: January 07, 2015, 08:24:31 PM »

It never came with instructions. I know the seperated wire on the ecu side is the signal and there are two heater wires too. Wondering about the 14point7 side. Which wire needs power and ground. Is that all it needs to run?? Whats the easiest way to set it up??
stuklr

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 09:48:56 PM »

Its on the website.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0189/1312/files/Spartan_Lambda_Controller_2_User_Manual.pdf?2679
kingkhalilz

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:32:04 AM »

Good looks. But still What is the easiest way to install?? use ground and power from the ecu rear o2 plug??
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:59:21 AM »

Good looks. But still What is the easiest way to install?? use ground and power from the ecu rear o2 plug??

Only if you want a dead ecu!

Connect power and ground to the chassis. I suggest terminal 75x for power.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
mumu

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »

I checked out the manual, it says that the power should only be applied when the engine is running. For that, the fuel pump relay is the best (simplest) option I can think of.
kingkhalilz

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:21:17 PM »

Only if you want a dead ecu!

Connect power and ground to the chassis. I suggest terminal 75x for power.

Did some digging and it looks like you can infact do this. "Zillarob" has helped a lot explain this to me.

As i understand it the stock narrow band 02 sensor has 4 wires going to it. Two white wires that control a built in heater. One grey wire ground for the oxygen sensor. One black and white wire a linear 0-5v signal.

So pin 1 is a white wire that has a constant 12v source that is used to power the heater-----> This to power a wideband 02 sensor

Pin 2 is a white wire that is ground sometimes. depending when the ecu wants to control the heater -------> Stay away from this!!

Pin 3 is constant ground------> Great for a ground for the wideband 02 sensor

Pin 4 is white and black. This is a signal 0-5v going into the ecu-------> Great for the signal wire for a wideband 02

Shows the pin numbers towards the bottom of this explanation of the narrow band 02 system.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng101.shtml

ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 11:02:04 PM »

Sure. Hook up the power and ground to the factory ecu Sad

Pretty sure I just told you that wouldn't work man. In fact, I went so far as to say it could cause damage to the ecu.

One more time:

The only wire going to the factory o2 plug should be the signal wire. Do not connect anything else.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Lost

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 12:02:18 AM »

There is no reason To take the power from std 02 harness. You take the signal from your narrow 02 and power for heater under the dash + on swiching terminal - on chassie
stuklr

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 08:14:42 AM »

The wideband controller draws too much current to use the narrow band factory power and ground supply wires. Narrow bands just run the heater, Wide band controllers ave that heater and the wideband controller to power. Not safe.
mumu

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »

To stay on the safe side, I would recommend to use a relay and battery power any time you want to power up aftermarket stuff in your car. A normal relay would draw around 100mA, but if you are worried, you can always use smaller (like surface mount) relays that draw less than half of that, safe enough for most places you would use to control the relay from. In this case, since the manufacturer says that power should only be applied with the engine running, you don't have too many options. 15 and 75X are on with the ignition on but engine off. The fuel pump is on with the engine running and draws enough power that an extra 50-100mA won't be an issue. I would use that to control my relay, powered directly from the battery through the included fuse. Use the chassis ground and the ECU ground for the 2 ground wires and the signal wires as needed by the application.
kingkhalilz

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 08:38:03 PM »

Okay folks you talked me out of it. 75x it is for 12v and ground on the firewall. Signal to wideband wire.
mumu

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »

75X will be on even with the engine off.
kingkhalilz

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 08:54:48 PM »

Yeah ur right but others have dont 75x and it works. I dont want more of a mess with a relay although now i think about it, it probably would be cleaner minus mounting it.
zillarob

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 09:55:39 PM »

The power wire in the o2 harness is perfectly fine to use. It is fed from the fuel pump relay, through fuse 34, and to the o2 heater. It will be powered up only when the car is running and not sit there and draw power whenever the key is on.

Using that ground might be the sketchy part. I have no idea how much current the ecu is capable of sinking, but I havent had any probs with zeitronix (think I saw somewhere they max out at 4-5amps).

Quite a few options depending on what you are trying to do, but being plug and play comes handy in some cases.
ddillenger

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 10:15:17 PM »

The power wire in the o2 harness is perfectly fine to use. It is fed from the fuel pump relay, through fuse 34, and to the o2 heater. It will be powered up only when the car is running and not sit there and draw power whenever the key is on.

Using that ground might be the sketchy part. I have no idea how much current the ecu is capable of sinking, but I havent had any probs with zeitronix (think I saw somewhere they max out at 4-5amps).

Quite a few options depending on what you are trying to do, but being plug and play comes handy in some cases.

I tried using the stock heater wire with my spartan. The wideband was flaky at best.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: