Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ecu bootmode + other challenges, long post.  (Read 5489 times)
William

« on: January 26, 2015, 11:06:06 AM »

Hi,

Sorry for this long boring post i made, i just want to be sure you know everything you need.
Ok i'm gonna start from the beginning at this point to give you guys full view of this situation.
I broke my one and only key (A6 2.7 biturbo -00) and had to order new one and swapped from tip to 6-speed.
I am experienced in mechanical stuff such as the swap i mentioned above but what comes to computers... not that much (last time DOS was Commander Keen)

I knew i had to recode my cluster, ECU and remove tip ecu etc etc... to the problem itself;
I first, recoded my cluster and ABS/ESP to match 6-speed succesfully without any problems (Autocom diagnostics, since its easy to use)
Then i had to recode my ECU and the train of issues started, i failed miserably with the recode, i knew it was because of the MTM Chip.
This time i did not know if was able to retrieve the SKC through for example Ardgub's tool so i left the recode, for now.

Then i broke the key and while waiting for the new key to arrive i completed the 6-speed swap completely so i could be able to drive it to local MTM dealer to be recoded,
but once the key arrived i couldn't match it with my immo as you all know by now because of the SKC.
I studied Ardgub's tool and other flashing and tuning things, so i could be doing all the things mentioned above myself,
First attemp in connecting the ecu via ardgub's tool failed, like all the other attemps.
Failed, but i did got something out, my ECU identification etc. but nothing close to what is supposed to, after ECU id it tried to read EEProm, after them dots went full row it fails, always at the same point with no exceptions. I know i had the correct commands in line, after all, i only wanted to -read the EEProm.

Then i tried to connect in bootmode by the advice of other experienced enthusiasts, by this time i still don't know if i ever went in the bootmode correctly even tho i most certainly did everything the way it was supposed to and followed the instructions here and s4wiki, tried many times always with extreme caution.
After every attemp to bootmode i tried if bootmode options worked or did not, after bootmode attemp it actually did something different; Did not even recognise the ECU anymore, just fails immediately.
Made me wonder if i was in bootmode or not, still confusing me why it was different after bootmode attemp, and fails immediately?

Then ddillenger told me to try reading with 1.40 version with modified --CSpin p6.3, tried that with no success, fails immediately in 1.40 version ("no commucation with ECU")
BUT, i have no "EPC" light on at the cluster during ECU powering up, my friend has same car just year older and he has this light on for couple seconds when turning on the power, i mean this light was there when i drove the car last time, but not now, not anymore...

Basicly i've tried everything according to experience of others, none of them worked for me. I did read the whole thread of Ardgub's tool and some other topics, problems people had was similar to mine, just the conclusion didn't work in my case.
Could it be, that my ECU is fried? Bricked, whatever that means?

Trying to log with ECU incar, i dont have bench harness.
Stock A6 ME 7.1 2.7 biturbo ecu with MTM chip installed, the "floating" type.
I am out of options now, and i really need you guys to give a little brainstorm, i am eager to learn these things for good.

I'm gonna snap a couple of pics tomorrow of the ECU and the chip and copies of logs when i get back to garage computer.
Thank you for your help in advance!

Regards
William

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:13:30 AM by William » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 11:21:45 AM »

I suggest going into the cluster/immobilizer section, and downloading vag k+commander. Install v2.5 (it's an attachment in the bench flashing S4 cluster thread) and then using that to read the eeprom. It won't be a full read (just what is stored in RAM) but If you post that I will give you the login code Smiley

Otherwise, post a screenshot of your bootmode failures.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
William

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »

I suggest going into the cluster/immobilizer section, and downloading vag k+commander. Install v2.5 (it's an attachment in the bench flashing S4 cluster thread) and then using that to read the eeprom. It won't be a full read (just what is stored in RAM) but If you post that I will give you the login code Smiley

Otherwise, post a screenshot of your bootmode failures.
I have this cheap ebay blue cable, will that work with this cable?
I will post bootmode failures anyway so nothing gets unnoticed Smiley

thanks dd
William

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »

Well i think i did figure something out by myself, i think somehow my ecu is bricked, i mean people are reporting bricked ecus being exactly like mine, no epc lit or anything else ECU related. Tell me i'm wrong please Cheesy

IF this is the case how can i ever 'unbrick' it?
ddillenger

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 12:18:09 PM »

Well i think i did figure something out by myself, i think somehow my ecu is bricked, i mean people are reporting bricked ecus being exactly like mine, no epc lit or anything else ECU related. Tell me i'm wrong please Cheesy

IF this is the case how can i ever 'unbrick' it?

Unlikely you bricked it, more likely is you shorted something out. Bricking is if you are trying to write and fail.

Does the engine light come on with the key on?

In any case, in the event of a bricked MTM, the solution is to remove the standoff board and install a stock chip, then flash a stock program.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
William

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »

Unlikely you bricked it, more likely is you shorted something out. Bricking is if you are trying to write and fail.

Does the engine light come on with the key on?

In any case, in the event of a bricked MTM, the solution is to remove the standoff board and install a stock chip, then flash a stock program.
Shorting something most likely in this case since i never got to write anything and it's not even in the 'to do' list at this time.
Then again i was careful trying to get to bootmode, well, we shall see tomorrow.
William

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 11:49:45 PM »

No engine light or epc light on, so theres only one possibility, i broke my ecu by messing around carefully :/
How can it be, i'm 100% sure that i was on right pin 24, on the root of the chip, also 100% sure that no other contacts were made :/
Makes me feel so stupid now, not even by the instructions i was able to get it right Cheesy

Hunting for new ecu then, PM me for offers Smiley
ddillenger

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 12:14:31 AM »

Send it to me, I will attempt to repair it. If not, I'll set you up with something that will work reasonably.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: