Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Noob, In over his head  (Read 24567 times)
ozzake

« on: January 31, 2015, 08:12:58 PM »

Ok guys, so after a few weeks of reading I finally decided to take the plunge and attempt to flash my ECU. I've got a 2000 GTI Vr6, generic FTDI ebay cable, Windows 7 32 bit laptop. On Thursday I managed to connect with Nefmoto and get the stock flash off my car. 29f400bb is what I was told to use for my specific car, when I wrote to the laptop it popped up a message saying that it didn't think that was the correct memory layout, so I also wrote a file as 29f800bb. after running them both through the me7check the 29f400bb came out as good, and the 29f800bb came out with 35 errors, so I assumed 400 was the correct file. When I tried to write the file to the ECU it made it 5% and errored out and disconnected, so obviously I do the worst possible thing and panic, turn the key off then try to reload the original .bin file. Now it won't connect at all, from what I read I need to run in boot mode with Galletto, so I pull the ecu and open it up (29f400bb for sure) Somewhere through my hours of reading I come across someone that says you can use an FTDI cable with Galletto program and it'll work. I've tried boot mode and it won't connect. Most of the guides I've seen claim that this is because the drivers are wrong, but I can't get the driver that everyone claims I need. At this point I've realized I'm really screwed and its time to finally post my problem. I've ordered a spare ECU from ebay that matches the numbers on mine, but I'm pretty sure even if I put it in the immobilizer is going to keep me from going anywhere. This car is pretty much my DD and now I'm stuck driving my rusty old wood hauler till its up and going again. If anyone thinks they can step me through this that would be awesome.

To recap
Original ECU is currently a brick
New ECU on the way
I'm mildly computer savvy, but useless when it comes to command line, or hex
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »

Not to make light of your situation, but HAHA!

That's how it usually happens Sad

Well, my advice: Use the old one to practice bootmode with.

As for Galletto, did you ensure the serial in the cable matches the program?

Post some screenshots, happy to assist.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
ozzake

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 08:46:53 PM »

I'm sure the serial doesn't match the cable, but I don't really know how to check. As for screenshots.. I'm not really sure how to do that either. The plan is to mess with the original ecu and try to get it to work and leave the other one for a backup when I do dumb things like this.
kingkhalilz

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:55:30 PM »

I can walk you through this. I am willing to lend a hand as many others have done so for me. http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=3088.0title=   
this should walk you through changing either the serial number on your cable or the serial in the code for galleto. If it where me i would simply change the code in the cable to match the code in galleto. Very easy to do with that write up.

You can boot mode with the ecu plugged into the car which is not really recomended but can be done. I would try this if i was in your shoes. Just to get you outa this situation. Pin 21 ground before you power up the ecu and hold it for 3-5 seconds. release the ground and the ecu is in boot mode.
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6506.0

However, a banch flashing harness will be extremely useful if you are serious about tuning your car.
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

If you have any questions or anything unclear

kingkhalilz

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:58:03 PM »

hit the "print scrn" button. Open up paint and hold the ctrl key and press the v key. or when in paint simply go to "paste" action
k0mpresd

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 12:16:40 AM »

Not to make light of your situation, but HAHA!

That's how it usually happens Sad

Well, my advice: Use the old one to practice bootmode with.

As for Galletto, did you ensure the serial in the cable matches the program?

Post some screenshots, happy to assist.

someone is feeling extra sassy tonight. lol.
at least you know i can appreciate it. Wink
ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 12:56:25 AM »

someone is feeling extra sassy tonight. lol.
at least you know i can appreciate it. Wink

I remember my first brick. I nearly cried!

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
k0mpresd

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 01:49:42 AM »

shoot. i still cry.  Grin
turboat

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 03:23:29 AM »

That crushing feeling when you turn the key and nothing happens, then you realise you're 30 miles from home and your bootmode kit is sat on the kitchen table Sad

Op - immo in the new ecu can be fixed Smiley
k0mpresd

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 04:38:21 AM »

That crushing feeling when you turn the key and nothing happens, then you realise you're 30 miles from home and your bootmode kit is sat on the kitchen table Sad

Op - immo in the new ecu can be fixed Smiley

that one can just as easily, if not easier, be adapted to the car using vcds since its immo2.
ozzake

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 04:32:56 PM »

Wow, you guys are lifesavers! I thought for sure I would get flamed for now knowing enough to be trying this kind of thing. I don't have any time today to work, but I'll keep you updated as I suffer throughout the week. I've decided to take it slow and build a bench flashing setup and just drive the truck for the next week or two till the car is back online. After the kids go to bed tonight I'll try to match my serial numbers on the galletto with my cable and get that up and running. Is it possible to use vcds lite to get rid of the immo problem if I only have the free version? Otherwise I'll have to probably figure that situation out. I tried to use my saved .bin flash file in the command prompt program 95040.exe but I've realized I need the immo eeprom and I'm a little lost on how to get that.

again, thanks for the help and suggestions, once I get through this I'll have a really fun VW and a lot more experience.
ozzake

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 05:13:36 PM »

Ok so I went through the steps to get the serial numbers to match and made it a little further. I still get an error message on galletto, but its a different one. Probably not a good one though. I'm not sure how to post the pic do I just put the address from my computer in between the braces and img? the error I'm getting now is no interface found Sad I'm thinking this probably isn't good
ddillenger

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »

If you are using a real VCDS cable, I would not hold out hope. I have never gotten mine to work with any bootmode tools FWIW.

If not, just hit the print screen button, and paste it into paint, save it, and post it so we can see the error.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
ozzake

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »

I have a pic, but I don't know how to attach it to the post
ozzake

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 06:09:04 PM »

ok scratch that, I finally figured it out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: