Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: true anti lag system idea for 1.8T.  (Read 16075 times)
vwnut8392

« on: March 22, 2015, 09:04:28 PM »

i was recently working with a friends EVO 8 and the guys a DSMlink developed a way to reconfigure the SAI pump and the EGR valve on the car along with some custom ECU programming and they ended up with a factory parts real deal anti lag system. i know most people dont need this but i figured i'd bring up the idea to all you coding guru's for the 1.8T because its also equipped with an SAI pump and EGR that the ECU controls. i hope someone takes this idea and runs with it because it would be cool to have for guys in a real race setup.
adam-

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 09:11:35 AM »

It works because the ECU can operate the pump and feed loads of air into the exhaust.

With the throttle shut during overun, we can't get any air into the exhaust and therefore we can't get combustion.  Most 1.8t owners just rip all that out when they first get it though..
prj

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »

Additional solenoids and other things are only needed for cars without an electronic DBW throttle.
So any ME7 car does not need any of that for true antilag.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
adam-

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:52:09 AM »

Why you'd want it unless you're running a massive turbo seems a bit silly though.

That, and it gives it such a hammering the turbo wouldn't last very long..
vwnut8392

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:31:37 AM »

it was just an idea after seeing how easily the evo 8 owners could do such a thing to their cars. most standalone management systems offer ALS control and by the looks of how ME7 is evolving in the aftermarket world its turning into super flexable ECU thats almost a standalone ECU itself.
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 01:20:50 PM »

I think it sounds like a really cool idea with a true ALS- function on ME7.
It is not for everyone, especially if you want to have good reliability and longevity on turbocharger, cylinder head valves and maybe even the exhaust manifold.
Even so, the ALS-function sounds great and should be an option.

Audi A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro -2001 (AWT)
sn00k

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 03:16:55 AM »

i can see how controlling the SAI and forcing oxygen in there wouldnt be too hard.. but.. how to introduce unburnt fuel into the exhaust? any practical ideas?

this in combination with E85, with its low temp, smooth and controllable combustion, wouldnt necessary be harmful to the turbo.. just a turbo whistle, keeping it spooled and ready to go  Smiley
prj

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 12:37:10 PM »

i can see how controlling the SAI and forcing oxygen in there wouldnt be too hard.. but.. how to introduce unburnt fuel into the exhaust? any practical ideas?

this in combination with E85, with its low temp, smooth and controllable combustion, wouldnt necessary be harmful to the turbo.. just a turbo whistle, keeping it spooled and ready to go  Smiley

You don't need any SAI valve or any other stuff like that whatsoever. You have a DBW throttle. All those extra solenoids are for the cars that don't.
And E85 or no E85 you will still crack manifolds and destroy turbos. Not due to heat...

Log your car properly.
ddillenger

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 02:03:59 PM »

You don't need any SAI valve or any other stuff like that whatsoever. You have a DBW throttle. All those extra solenoids are for the cars that don't.
And E85 or no E85 you will still crack manifolds and destroy turbos. Not due to heat...

You mean trying to contain an explosion in a manifold is a bad idea for longevity?

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
sn00k

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »

would you elaborate on how an anti-lag  work with the throttle?

..and i wasnt talking about explosions and cracking manifolds as much as creating a higher exhaust pressure to help spool/drive the turbine..  Smiley
cerips

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 03:51:23 PM »

would you elaborate on how an anti-lag  work with the throttle?

Hold throttle open during lifting off the throttle.
Retard ignition lots.
Increase fuel injection quantity.

prj

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 01:03:26 AM »

Hold throttle open during lifting off the throttle.
Retard ignition lots.
Increase fuel injection quantity.

Yup and use a spark cut limiter to limit RPM.

Log your car properly.
sn00k

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 03:24:51 AM »

thats.. basically Launch-control while driving.. which might be the definition of anti-lag.. and i can see why it would stress and break things  Grin

however i had another approach i mind, using the sai to force oxygen + fuel into the manifold, not creating explosions, but rather a flame/higher pressure/more exhaust gasses/heat to spin the turbine in a more controlled manner.. hyperbar-ish.. =)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:27:27 AM by sn00k » Logged
prj

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 06:12:08 AM »

however i had another approach i mind, using the sai to force oxygen + fuel into the manifold, not creating explosions, but rather a flame/higher pressure/more exhaust gasses/heat to spin the turbine in a more controlled manner.. hyperbar-ish.. =)
Physics disagree with you. The only way to spool the turbo is blow **** up in the manifold.
The moment there is a combustible mix in the manifold it WILL blow up.

Log your car properly.
ddillenger

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 06:19:59 AM »

Physics disagree with you. The only way to spool the turbo is blow **** up in the manifold.
The moment there is a combustible mix in the manifold it WILL blow up.

poppycock.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: