Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What the hell did I buy? This supposed "MTM" 8D0907551A....  (Read 14160 times)
ddillenger

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 08:17:28 PM »

You have to realize, these files came out when the cars came out. When the next model was released, it got the attention. They haven't been updating their files this entire time.

At best, 10 years old.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 08:27:05 PM »

DD, I think that I am trying to find out how you are able to know the age of the Tune??  Is there an line of code in the BIN file, that you were able to determine its age, or is this an educated guess??

I want to learn how you determine the age, so that I can check another that I have been sitting on for 2 years.

Thank you, DD. I appreciate you taking the time to educate me.!!

MTM has not been in the business of tuning 2.7ts for 10+ years.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »

You have to realize, these files came out when the cars came out. When the next model was released, it got the attention. They haven't been updating their files this entire time.

At best, 10 years old.

Ok, I understand what you are saying; e.g., regardless of the physical age of the chip, the "tune software" hasn't changed / model since the original.       So if I went to the MTM dealer and bought a Stage 1 tune, today, it would be the same Stage 1 tune that I would have received, had I purchased it 10 years ago, correct?
The B5 S4, 2.7T, 6 M/T MTM Stage 1 tune, is the ONLY MTM Stage 1 tune available for the same model.

Earlier today, I was decided to solder the chips back onto the daughterboard and mount the ECU in the car. Before I tried starting the car, I was successful in establishing communication with VCDS ( which I could NOT do before removing and re-soldering both chips ).   Then, I read the BIN file using the Nefmoto flasher and saved it. Then I was able to WRITE that BIN file to a brand new, fresh chip, using the Willem type, Minipro TL866CS programmer.  
I placed the am29f800BB chip, to which I had just written the MTM tune, plugged it into the Yamiachi Socket, and replaced the original MTM flash chip and encryption eeprom PC board assembly with the fresh flashed chip in Yamaichi socket. The car started right up and runs fine.  So it looks like MTM's attempt at protecting their software is pretty much worthless.   Maybe it was effective before programs like Tony's flasher came into existence??

Probably by now, you are laughing at me, because I am most likely, WRONG!!  Embarrassed.     Paradoxically,  I know enough to know how little that I actually know when it comes to tuning, software & hardware. Cry                 It looks like the MTM Encryption board apparatus, is pretty much obsolete since it can be read via OBD and not just in boot mode, but through Tony's flasher. The fact that the chip cannot be read on a basic Willem programmer, is because the binary code is swapped around somewhat, ( address and data lines ) so the read/write algorithms will be useless.

Thank you, DD and others that offered their insight. I do appreciate your time and knowledge.

ddillenger

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »

Read this if you want to know more about the use of such devices:

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=3102.0

Good work getting the ecu functioning.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 12:25:59 AM »

Thank you, DD!! Made me feel halfway good to get it working.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »

DDillenger,  As I said, I wrote the BIN file to the Flash Chip, via the Minipro programmer. I was able to start and drive the car and it drove well. But, when I went out to start the car yesterday morning, it would not start. So, it worked fine for the 10 mins that I drove it on day one, but 12 hours later, no start at all.
I read up on this and understand that it's probably a checksum error issue.  Now the ECU cannot communicate with VCDS and I don't have the Check Engine light when I turn on ignition.

I've tried to flash the ECU, using Tonu's ECU Flasher, but I am unable to get connect.

QUESTION:   Since the DTC codes and adaptations are stored in the 95040 Eeprom, would you suggest that I remove the 95040 chip, read, erase and the WRITE something to the eeprom?  If so, what, exactly, would I write to the eeprom???  It's a NON-immo ecu (8D0907551A).
I've searched the forums and cannot find what exactly I should do.  I don't want to lose this ECU if I don't have to.

Thank you!

Thank you!
ddillenger

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »

Just unplug the battery for 5 minutes. Then immediately reconnect, and flash a known good file.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: