Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vernier pullies and 1.8t  (Read 8396 times)
carsey

« on: April 21, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »

Hi all

I have a 1.8t with k04-064.  It is fitted with a BAM 018 H ECU and has vvt.  It also has a vernier cam pulley. 

During mapping we are seeing timing of around 15*,  taking it any further and it gives us -4.5cf to knock limiter at top end.  Typically we see around 18-21* on the 064 turbo.  I am also getting a camshaft set point code (over retarded off the top of my head) which is always coming back after a run on the dyno.

Now,  has anyone ever seen any issues with a vernier pulley which could be retarded slightly (car is not with me to check) and playing havoc with the vvt adjustment and flagging the error code up?   I'm thinking that if the vernier is a degree or 2 retarded on the cam/crank then then this will trigger a camshaft set point wrong problem when the vvt is active and also see a drop in ignition advance?  For example 15* where you could normally be running 18*.

Other than that, setup is running perfect but I need to get to the bottom of the cam error once I have the car back.   Was going to whip the vernier off and see what effect that has but was wondering if anyone has had experience on the setup so far.

Thanks
aef

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:19:57 AM »

Why would you need a vernier pulley on this setup?

Stock BAM cams?
carsey

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 05:35:41 AM »

Stock cams yes.

I had one a while ago when some of us from UK first looked at altering the camshafts with vernier pulley to try get a bit more area out of it.  This is the first that has come of it I believe, and as im running into a couple issues with it...thought id ask if anyone has had any experience with them.

Could also be held back a touch on timing because of noisy JE pistons potentially.
byzan a4

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 02:12:29 PM »

Won't be mechanical noise as the knock sensors only look for specific frequency at windowed  times. Log block 93 and see what the vvt and correction figures actually are.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: